Being sent to a different center to work.

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
Has anyone ever been sent to a different center to work? I’m a low seniority driver and they told me to report to a building 20 miles way from my center. I just think that’s some bull:censored2:.

Rarefish383

Yep, have to work as instructed. I worked out of Metro DC. Had 20 plus years in, and we got a new delivery sup. He decided he was going to change the world. Every Monday he started breaking my route out, thinking I'd go home. Our manager started busting my butt for not going home. They had a stiff that would go home every chance, so I came in one Monday, and they said I had to take his route out. It was actually one of my old routes, I knew it, and liked the folks on it, so I took it out the first time. The second time it became a moral issue to me. I thought it was wrong to punish a guy for doing good work, and rewarding the stiff that wanted to go home. I was a shop steward and "thought" I had the "Right" to bump a junior driver, and all the other stewards agreed with me. So, every Monday, I bumped the next junior man under me and on down the line. When I told the VP of the local, he said he wouldn't rat me out, but I was wrong. A Baltimore driver took the issue of being bumped off his bid route to the panel and won. The panel said if the company breaks out your delivery route, and you show up, you are guaranteed your 8 hours, but you "CAN NOT BUMP" a junior driver off his bid route. I got away with it for several weeks till the manager told the new sup to leave me alone, and come up with a better plan. I never told management what I found out. Didn't see giving away that tid bit. As mentioned above, pending on supplements and job description, you have to go where instructed.

Hump dump and roll

Yep, have to work as instructed. I worked out of Metro DC. Had 20 plus years in, and we got a new delivery sup. He decided he was going to change the world. Every Monday he started breaking my route out, thinking I'd go home. Our manager started busting my butt for not going home. They had a stiff that would go home every chance, so I came in one Monday, and they said I had to take his route out. It was actually one of my old routes, I knew it, and liked the folks on it, so I took it out the first time. The second time it became a moral issue to me. I thought it was wrong to punish a guy for doing good work, and rewarding the stiff that wanted to go home. I was a shop steward and "thought" I had the "Right" to bump a junior driver, and all the other stewards agreed with me. So, every Monday, I bumped the next junior man under me and on down the line. When I told the VP of the local, he said he wouldn't rat me out, but I was wrong. A Baltimore driver took the issue of being bumped off his bid route to the panel and won. The panel said if the company breaks out your delivery route, and you show up, you are guaranteed your 8 hours, but you "CAN NOT BUMP" a junior driver off his bid route. I got away with it for several weeks till the manager told the new sup to leave me alone, and come up with a better plan. I never told management what I found out. Didn't see giving away that tid bit. As mentioned above, pending on supplements and job description, you have to go where instructed.
Wow that was petty and selfish. You as a steward decided to screw over drivers with less seniority and bump them off their bid routes just so you could stick it to the company. There are so many things wrong with what went on here I don't even want to get into it.

Rarefish383

Well, yes and no. I was out to make a point, and I turned out to be wrong , on the right to bump junior members off a bid route. If bumping a junior member was a contractual right, which all the stewards thought it was, there would be no problem. The reason all the stewards thought I was right, was it wasn't until the one driver in Baltimore took it to the panel and won. Prior to his win it was excepted procedure to bump junior drivers.

I'm one of those guys that can make any short story long in an hour or so. Trying not to wander, I left out that I didn't actually bump the driver, I picked guys that were on vacation, and bumped their cover driver. Ratz, that's probably worse, poor cover driver.

So, if you want petty and selfish? Why did they choose my route to break out? Easy, other drivers would lay down on them and stick it to them in other ways. They knew I knew every route in the center and would bust my hump all day long and work through lunch just to get it done.

I'm not offended by your take. But, as any circumstance tried to be explained in a few sentences, many details are left out. Usually routes are broken out because the are central to other routes so they can be distributed in a logistically efficient manner. Mine was not. It was broken out just because the sup knew I wouldn't lay down. Twenty plus years in delivery, many in cover, helping any one and any center, running all day long got me two Titanium knees. They don't bend like normal peoples knees do. Not complaining, just saying. If I had it to do over, I'd still have bad knees. I was the type that was driven to do my best every minute I was in the employ of the company, just because when I was hired that's what I told them I'd do.

In another post where some one asked if he had to go work in another center, he was told, "Yes, just go slow and stick it to them." Do you see anything fundamentally wrong with that attitude.

I never instructed an employee to lay down, go slow, stick it to them. Can you honestly say the same? As a steward I never taught new guys how to cut corners, cheat. Jimmy locks so the door looks closed but not latched. As a steward my duties were to show new guys that you can use the methods and get the job done. That's the bottom line. If you use the methods the stewards can protect you.

Those poor junior guys. I stick to the tenant that "Seniority Prevails at All Times". If it's not fair, who ever said it has to be fair. There is a reason that if a senior guy wants to take all 6 weeks vacation in the summer he can. He doesn't have to take one in January just so a poor junior guy can have one of his July weeks.

A few years back I heard in the Army now, if you don't like basic training, you can hold up a card up and say my tootoo hurts and I don't want to do anymore, and you can take a break.

Junior drivers will become senior drivers, as long as their tootoo doesn't hurt and make then give up.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Well, yes and no. I was out to make a point, and I turned out to be wrong , on the right to bump junior members off a bid route. If bumping a junior member was a contractual right, which all the stewards thought it was, there would be no problem. The reason all the stewards thought I was right, was it wasn't until the one driver in Baltimore took it to the panel and won. Prior to his win it was excepted procedure to bump junior drivers.

I'm one of those guys that can make any short story long in an hour or so. Trying not to wander, I left out that I didn't actually bump the driver, I picked guys that were on vacation, and bumped their cover driver. Ratz, that's probably worse, poor cover driver.

So, if you want petty and selfish? Why did they choose my route to break out? Easy, other drivers would lay down on them and stick it to them in other ways. They knew I knew every route in the center and would bust my hump all day long and work through lunch just to get it done.

I'm not offended by your take. But, as any circumstance tried to be explained in a few sentences, many details are left out. Usually routes are broken out because the are central to other routes so they can be distributed in a logistically efficient manner. Mine was not. It was broken out just because the sup knew I wouldn't lay down. Twenty plus years in delivery, many in cover, helping any one and any center, running all day long got me two Titanium knees. They don't bend like normal peoples knees do. Not complaining, just saying. If I had it to do over, I'd still have bad knees. I was the type that was driven to do my best every minute I was in the employ of the company, just because when I was hired that's what I told them I'd do.

In another post where some one asked if he had to go work in another center, he was told, "Yes, just go slow and stick it to them." Do you see anything fundamentally wrong with that attitude.

I never instructed an employee to lay down, go slow, stick it to them. Can you honestly say the same? As a steward I never taught new guys how to cut corners, cheat. Jimmy locks so the door looks closed but not latched. As a steward my duties were to show new guys that you can use the methods and get the job done. That's the bottom line. If you use the methods the stewards can protect you.

Those poor junior guys. I stick to the tenant that "Seniority Prevails at All Times". If it's not fair, who ever said it has to be fair. There is a reason that if a senior guy wants to take all 6 weeks vacation in the summer he can. He doesn't have to take one in January just so a poor junior guy can have one of his July weeks.

A few years back I heard in the Army now, if you don't like basic training, you can hold up a card up and say my tootoo hurts and I don't want to do anymore, and you can take a break.

Junior drivers will become senior drivers, as long as their tootoo doesn't hurt and make then give up.
If it’s a split route, that’s one thing. Bumping a bid driver off his route should have never been allowed to happen. That Baltimore driver had every right to be pissed.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

How about a tldr version

542thruNthru

So you say you're a hard worker that doesn't lay down. Then you punish a lower seniority driver by bumping him off his route when another driver was more than willing to go home on a route that you knew and liked all because you felt it was morally wrong to allow someone that wants to go home all the time do so?

1st let me say thanks for being a steward but, I'm glad you're not mine.

purehavanne

Hey man you should write an ebook about your 20 years and put it on Amazon. I’d buy it.