Being sent to a different center to work.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Years ago, many...lol, like 30, I was told I was low man and extra and needed at a center that was about 15 miles from mine. I was told to report to my original center for the punch in, drive a package car to the second center, or they'd pay me miles for my own vehicle, then when done, return to the 2nd center with their package car, then return to my center for the punch out. I chose to drive an out of use package car instead of trying to recoup mileage. Good luck getting money out of UPS after the fact! Not likely an option at peak though. This went on for two weeks. Western NorCal. I was told that even though they needed me in another center, my report center could not just be changed, therefore, I would be paid for all time starting and ending at my center. I'd check into it.

babboo25

Banned
Here we get paid for drive time and mileage if asked to work at another center, closest one is 30+ miles away, report to our building and get paid moment we start driving to that center + mileage. Usually center in need doesn’t know if help is needed until hour before start time, call ins etc

21Savage

Yes you can be forced. But you can also demand they provide transportation. Then they'll find the next rookie willing to bend over instead of you.

DOK

Has anyone ever been sent to a different center to work? I’m a low seniority driver and they told me to report to a building 20 miles way from my center. I just think that’s some bull*.
I think that would be cool every now and then, change of scenery, also excuse not to be productive.

Rarefish383

I'm gonna beat the dead horse one more time and then I'll shut up on the subject.
First of the year we got a new sup. His first PCM he said he was going to make changes to make the center more efficient.
Second week I get in, and after the PCM, he walked up to me and said, "I broke your route out, you can go home". I was in the top 10 of 40 plus drivers. I went and sat in the managers office. Manager came in and asked what I was doing? Waiting for instructions for my guaranteed eight. Didn't the new guy offer you work in another center? I worked in a major hub, we had 8 or 10 centers and 400 drivers. Nope, he just told me to go home. Manager offered me 4 hours to run two big bulk stops in rentals. OK
Third week new guy said I broke your route out again, you can go home. Went and sat in managers office. He got someone to go home and I ran that route. When I got in that evening the manager asked if they broke my route out again the next week, would I be interested in going to BWI and getting the EAM's, running them, and a few splits, for eight hours. Sure. That was kind of fun and I thought it might be an easy change. First week I did that, one of the drivers they gave one of my splits to, called in and said he couldn't do it. My route was an all Resi route with 200-220 stops and maybe 250 QVC packages. Lot of running, but easy. I had worked through lunch to get back in and off the clock as I agreed to, and they sent me back out to get 50 stops of my own split back. That went on every Monday till vacations started to kick in. That's when he put me on the stiff's route the first time. Above, I said I knew the route, and liked the people on it. I never said I liked the route. It was a heavy industrial route and killed my knees. Above I also said I started bumping the guy under me and on down the line, and I picked guys on vacation, so I actually bumped senior cover drivers that knew the routes also. I never dogged some poor rookie. So, I bumped 3 cover drivers, one day a week, for three weeks. Then I went on vacation myself. Came back and every thing was back to normal.

And, In the first post, I said I was wrong! How many people do you know at UPS that admit when THEY are wrong, Joe.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I'm gonna beat the dead horse one more time and then I'll shut up on the subject.
First of the year we got a new sup. His first PCM he said he was going to make changes to make the center more efficient.
Second week I get in, and after the PCM, he walked up to me and said, "I broke your route out, you can go home". I was in the top 10 of 40 plus drivers. I went and sat in the managers office. Manager came in and asked what I was doing? Waiting for instructions for my guaranteed eight. Didn't the new guy offer you work in another center? I worked in a major hub, we had 8 or 10 centers and 400 drivers. Nope, he just told me to go home. Manager offered me 4 hours to run two big bulk stops in rentals. OK
Third week new guy said I broke your route out again, you can go home. Went and sat in managers office. He got someone to go home and I ran that route. When I got in that evening the manager asked if they broke my route out again the next week, would I be interested in going to BWI and getting the NDA's, running some EAM,s and a few splits, for eight hours. Sure. That was kind of fun and I thought it might be an easy change. First week I did that, one of the drivers they gave one of my splits to, called in and said he couldn't do it. My route was an all Resi route with 200-220 stops and maybe 250 QVC packages. Lot of running, but easy. I had worked through lunch to get back in and off the clock as I agreed to, and they sent me back out to get 50 stops of my own split back. That went on every Monday till vacations started to kick in. That's when he put me on the stiff's route the first time. Above, I said I knew the route, and liked the people on it. I never said I liked the route. It was a heavy industrial route and killed my knees. Above I also said I started bumping the guy under me and on down the line, and I picked guys on vacation, so I actually bumped senior cover drivers that knew the routes also. I never dogged some poor rookie. So, I bumped 3 cover drivers, one day a week, for three weeks. Then I went on vacation myself. Came back and every thing was back to normal.

And, In the first post, I said I was wrong! How many people do you know that admit when THEY are wrong, Joe.
You don't have the right to follow your work in your area?

Rarefish383

You don't have the right to follow your work in your area?
Yes you do, but when they break out a route, they usually divide it up between 4 other drivers, so to follow some of your own work, you would have to bump one of the drivers that got part of it. I was a cover driver for years and actually enjoyed it, till I got the seniority to bid on some really nice routes. Before the dead horse story, if they ever needed me to go to another center it was no problem, I just went. Being a major hub we had 8-10 centers in our building. The whole point of the dead horse story was a New Off the Street sup that thought he could do whatever he wanted, with absolutely no regard to seniority needed to learn they have to play by the rules too, and he didn't even have a tie!

CoolStoryBro

Has anyone ever been sent to a different center to work? I’m a low seniority driver and they told me to report to a building 20 miles way from my center. I just think that’s some bull*.

When they asked me to work at a different center I showed up at my center 1 minute before start time. Then told them I would require a UPS vehicle to drive to the other center. They never asked me again.

don't talk to management off the clock.

Rarefish383

When they asked me to work at a different center I showed up at my center 1 minute before start time. Then told them I would require a UPS vehicle to drive to the other center. They never asked me again.

don't talk to management off the clock.
If you do, every thing you say will be recorded, and every thing they say, will be forgotten. Just the nature of business.

Rarefish383

A building in Metro-DC with 10 delivery centers? You sure about that?
Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, Collage Park, Columbia, back when I was in cover we still had Potomac, Gaithersburg, Annapolis, one over in PG county by the university of MD, Derwood, and one way out by Sugarloaf Mountain. I was in Burtonsville, we were Metro DC district, not in DC. As they opened new buildings two or three would move out, and smaller centers were consolidated into one. Fifteen years or so ago they cut management and each delivery manager was given two centers, so Rockville and Bethesda, became Montgomery. Heck, that might have been 20 years ago. Since we're going back 35 years I tend to mish mash some of the areas together. Wheaton is a pretty big city, but I don't think it was it's own center, but may have been. We have 5 box lines and a couple straight line belts used during peak. Each box line will hold about 40 PC's per side. Back in the day, each side was a different center. After the big consolidation, each box line, both sides, became one center. If some one from Burt hangs out here they can give an update on centers. I had 12 years full time Pre load, 12 years Delivery and 6 Shifting. I'm sure you can understand that I don't put much effort into keeping up with moves and re arrangements. Most of my time goes here:

faE8PUw.jpg

jeG14tx.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, Collage Park, Columbia, back when I was in cover we still had Potomac, Gaithersburg, Annapolis, one over in PG county by the university of MD, Derwood, and one way out by Sugarloaf Mountain. I was in Burtonsville, we were Metro DC district, not in DC. As they opened new buildings two or three would move out, and smaller centers were consolidated into one. Fifteen years or so ago they cut management and each delivery manager was given two centers, so Rockville and Bethesda, became Montgomery. Heck, that might have been 20 years ago. Since we're going back 35 years I tend to mish mash some of the areas together. Wheaton is a pretty big city, but I don't think it was it's own center, but may have been. We have 5 box lines and a couple straight line belts used during peak. Each box line will hold about 40 PC's per side. Back in the day, each side was a different center. After the big consolidation, each box line, both sides, became one center. If some one from Burt hangs out here they can give an update on centers. I had 12 years full time Pre load, 12 years Delivery and 6 Shifting. I'm sure you can understand that I don't put much effort into keeping up with moves and re arrangements. Most of my time goes here:

faE8PUw.jpg

jeG14tx.jpg
Yeah that must have been quite a while back. Gaithersburg is a small hub now, I didn't drive package out of Burt but I worked for their feeder dept. I would be surprised if Burt has more than 4 delivery centers, Dulles is the largest delivery operation in the DMV and they only have 4 centers. Nice pics, glad to see you're enjoying retirement. 639 takes care of us in that department.

Rarefish383

I still call G-Burg the new building, and they opened in 89 I think. My first route was Falls and River Rd. Had Sugar Ray on my route, and Linda Carter was just building her house, never met her. Guy that wound up with my route said she hated UPS. She was doing a Fedx tv commercial at the time. I don't know if she really hated us, or just didn't like him.