Bill Barr

BrownArmy

Trump didn’t squash the investigation. Democrats just over sold it for three years.
I’m thinking investigations into Obama surveillance of Trump is a better place to start digging if your going to hit actual crimes and police state tactics.

That's not my question.

If you think it's appropriate for Barr, Trump, and the Republicans to act this way now, what in the world will stop a future Democrat regime from acting the exact same way?

(I.E. the Executive branch has absolute power, cannot be held in check, do not pass go, we'll do whatever we want and you cannot censure us, etc.)

I'm not sure you've thought this through.

vantexan

Well Nancy, (just thought of Ronald Reagan, no sleight to you) it's not wise to regurgitate what Fox says without documentation.
That said there should be no assumption that the requesting entity is following the law, that is a reason for increased scrutiny (supposedly) with these judges (the court). The supposed benefit of these judges (the court) is expedited access in part. Kinda like a rocket docket.
OK, if there aren't any indictments for using the Steele dossier as a basis for a warrant then I'll know you're correct. Will have to wait and see.

vantexan

That's not my question.

If you think it's appropriate for Barr, Trump, and the Republicans to act this way now, what in the world will stop a future Democrat regime from acting the exact same way?

(I.E. the Executive branch has absolute power, cannot be held in check, do not pass go, we'll do whatever we want and you cannot censure us, etc.)

I'm not sure you've thought this through.
So when Eric Holder refused to comply with Congress and Obama asserted executive privilege and Holder said he was Obama's wingman that was ok but what Trump and Barr are doing is totally outrageous and a threat to democracy?

MAKAVELI

So when Eric Holder refused to comply with Congress and Obama asserted executive privilege and Holder said he was Obama's wingman that was ok but what Trump and Barr are doing is totally outrageous and a threat to democracy?
That wasn't an investigation into Obama. Ttku...

vantexan

Is it your assertion, like Barr, that the President can simply fire anyone who's investigating said President?

The entire point of a Special Counsel is to remove the Executive branch from investigations into the Executive branch.

Be very careful here, there will be a Democrat President one day; is it your assertion that a future Democrat President can squash any investigation into their malfeasance, and that there is no realistic remedy?

That's what you're proposing, and Barr agrees.

Yes, yes, 'Impeachment' is a remedy, but clearly not here.
But that's not what happened, is it? Trump may have wanted to fire Mueller, but ultimately didn't. You want to hang him on what he wanted to do, not on what he actually did.

Last edited:

floridays

Expect no answer, or at least an honest one. nice job tex

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, if there aren't any indictments for using the Steele dossier as a basis for a warrant then I'll know you're correct. Will have to wait and see.

So pathetic that Republicans are trying to create a narrative where Trump is a"victim". We'll have to wait and see the whole extent of Trump's illegal actions.

Investigation of the investigators. That takes big brass balls, and I'm not sure Lindsay has a set. This is their lame story, and they're sticking to it.

Lindsay. Come out, then Trump won't have leverage over you any more.

floridays

So pathetic that Republicans are trying to create a narrative where Trump is a"victim". We'll have to wait and see the whole extent of Trump's illegal actions.

Investigation of the investigators. That takes big brass balls, and I'm not sure Lindsay has a set. This is their lame story, and they're sticking to it.

Lindsay. Come out, then Trump won't have leverage over you any more.
You are silly, totally separated from reality.

BrownArmy

But that not what happened, is it? Trump may have wanted to fire Mueller, but ultimately didn't. You want to hang him on what he wanted to do, not on what he actually did.

You're also not answering my question, and I'm not even necessarily talking about Trump.

Barr is basically asserting that a President could fire anyone investigating him/her, and that for all intents and purposes, the President is immune to prosecution.

I say to you: you like that line of thinking now, but what if this becomes precedent, and the next Democrat President pulls the Barr rabbit out of the hat and says, 'We simply won't respond to anything the Legislative branch has to offer in terms of oversight'.

The logical conclusion of Barr's rhetoric and actions is that the Executive branch and the President are above the law.

I don't agree.

El Correcto

god is dead
Be very careful here, there will be a Democrat President one day; is it your assertion that a future Democrat President can squash any investigation into their malfeasance, and that there is no realistic remedy?

That's what you're proposing, and Barr agrees.
You sure know how to build a straw man. Didn’t squash investigation, there is a remedy, see Nixon. Trump didn’t fall for it, he had advisors that coached him through the hit job smear piece. Last time I checked a president has a right to council from his cabinet, executive privilege. He did the investigation, released the report and findings. No obstruction, no collusion, no court of law. This was a hit piece just like the rest of the trash you allow into your mind daily because of your hatred of trump.