By Invitation Only

upschuck

Could have but we've enjoyed this.

Plus it may be the oldest house in town still standing. It was one more worthless owner away from just rotting away to nothing. No inspections or anything here just buy it and start tearing into it or do nothing.

The goal all along has been to save and update this old house but to do it right.

Like seeing old houses, not so much living in one.

With all you are doing to it, the only "old" thing in there, is the, uh, mmm, the, uh, maybe a board or two?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My brother-in-law bought the 2nd oldest house in a very small town. It is about 150 years old. He did a ton of work on it but planned to continue to live there. He used to work for the electric company so is certified to do a lot of the work himself, and knows people who can do the rest. He is also the mayor (probably because nobody else wanted the job).
The town wasn't incorporated until early 1900's. This house predates that by 20+ years. One of the main beams which termites had destroyed was just an old log. Lol

Brownslave688

Like seeing old houses, not so much living in one.

With all you are doing to it, the only "old" thing in there, is the, uh, mmm, the, uh, maybe a board or two?
There's still a lot of shiplap under the walls.

But yes we very much modernized it. Which previous owners had tried to do anyway.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
My brother-in-law pretty much had to gut his house but he was able to keep a lot of the original wood work. He had to tear out the plaster walls to replace wiring and plumbing and replaced with drywall. He lowered the ceilings a bit but still almost 9'. Had to replace furnace of course. Did work on the outside too but the house was structurally sound.

Brownslave688

I delivered to this one house, that had a real tree growing in the house, planted in the ground. I thought that was a little weird, but whatever.
I've seen a lot of porches like that and of course malls and stuff but can't say I've seen one inside a house.

Except some of those bad ass treehouses they build.

oldngray

nowhere special
I delivered to this one house, that had a real tree growing in the house, planted in the ground. I thought that was a little weird, but whatever.
I delivered to a house that was basically 2 parallel ranch styles connected at the ends, leaving a square open courtyard in the middle. Looks kind of interesting at first until you start to think about the effects of weather.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yes it has certainly opened our eyes to some of the smaller but just as important decisions that will have to be made for building a whole house.
Build smaller, insulate and air seal more. Nine foot basement and big garage.

That's how i would do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Build smaller, insulate and air seal more. Nine foot basement and big garage.

That's how i would do it.

I would let someone else do all the work and write a big ass check when he/she was done.

Our first house when we were married was a complete gut job. We bought it cheap, put a lot of sweat equity in to it and sold it for a nice profit, which we used to pay off all of our bills. We then made all new bills.

Do not want to go through anything like that ever again.