By Invitation Only

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It’s pretty awesome hearing about my daughter’s friends getting into schools like Yale, Cornell, Duke, etc. These are really motivated kids, a lot of them or their parents from other countries. She just showed me a video of a good friend from Ghana, whose family lived in their car for awhile, who got accepted to Yale. This is why people are willing to die to come to America...opportunities.

Well that explains why a bunch of them got in

None of those are worth the price tag though.

oldngray

nowhere special
My brother in laws house is over 5000 sq ft. Probably that size lot. They build up.

After they put the pool in the back yard they might mow a couple hundred sq ft and probably pay $50 a week to have it done.
I have a neighbor with a really small yard. He has a pool in the back that pretty much fills up his yard. I don't think he needs to mow anything.

oldngray

nowhere special
We have over 600 school districts to feed. That number should be 21, 50 at the high end.
That shouldn't make much difference. Over 2600 school districts in Ohio.

How they spend the money makes more difference.

We have a lot of smaller districts that don't waste money. The really big districts are the ones that mostly have poor management. Those are also in big cities so the two go together.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That shouldn't make much difference. Over 2600 school districts in Ohio.

How they spend the money makes more difference.
Does each of the 2600 districts have their own superintendent?

Here the poorer districts are state funded. They spend 30k a student and these kids can't read. Plenty of really expensive cars in the administrator parking area though.

We also have teachers making over 100k. Lots of them. The teachers union has a strong hold on the state.

oldngray

nowhere special
Does each of the 2600 districts have their own superintendent?

Here the poorer districts are state funded. They spend 30k a student and these kids can't read. Plenty of really expensive cars in the administrator parking area though.

We also have teachers making over 100k. Lots of them. The teachers union has a strong hold on the state.
Every district has their own superintendent. Some funding comes from state but most from property taxes from levies that voters in each district vote on.

That does lead to conflict - mostly from the big city districts wanting to annex high revenue land and starve the neighboring districts. A series of agreements are in place to attempt to control how it happens. That was from a bunch of smaller districts getting together and suing the city.