By Invitation Only

upschuck

She grew up to be an independent person who works for what she wants. She asked me for money as a gift for Christmas to buy clothes and that’s the first time in years she asked me for money.
My kids prefer money for Christmas, as well. Always get them something small, and then the money. At least they came watch mom and dad open presents.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My kids prefer money for Christmas, as well. Always get them something small, and then the money. At least they came watch mom and dad open presents.
Lol. I separated the money, all different denominations, into a bunch of boxes. I think she had fun opening them and wondering how much she’d find in the next box.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Millennials still lean on parents for money, but want financial independence, survey says

Been financially independent since I was 21 the key is getting ahead early. Our first apartment rent was $325 a month. It wasn’t much bigger than our living room now. We had no internet, rabbit ear tv and every meal at home.

You don’t automatically get or deserve everything your parents gave you as a kid.
Here’s my problem with that, the same parents told us we had to go to college and take on all of this debt. Nobody warns kids what it’s like to come out of school in such drowning debt. Between my wife and I we pay $2000 a month in student loans. And we are better off than most.

When kids are coming out of school with 80-100K in debt, something they never even understood when they were 18, parents have to understand they’re part of the system that allowed that to happen.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Here’s my problem with that, the same parents told us we had to go to college and take on all of this debt. Nobody warns kids what it’s like to come out of school in such drowning debt. Between my wife and I we pay $2000 a month in student loans. And we are better off than most.

When kids are coming out of school with 80-100K in debt, something they never even understood when they were 18, parents have to understand they’re part of the system that allowed that to happen.
Mike Rowe On College Admissions Scandals: The Real Scandal Is The Myth That A College Education Is Required

Mike Rowe made some really good points about that.

upschuck

Should have had the cahones to stand up to your parents, if you knew you weren't college material.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My oldest daughter got smart with me one time when she was young because I said no to something she wanted. I explained to her that parents are only obligated to provide food, shelter, clothes, and love to their children. Everything else is extra that I CHOOSE to provide, not that I have to.
The big problem is when they leave home and think it’s all necessities.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Why the hell is college so expensive now vs 30 years ago? Time to hack expenses?

Brownslave688

What about the fourth?

Do you think that may be because people are waiting longer to have kids, and the 3rd is when she is in the higher risk pregnancy time?
Yes I think that’s certainly part of it.

It may just be a coincidence but a large majority of the people I kind that have kids with genetic disorders are the 3rd kid.

Brownslave688

I agree and I don’t.

Most anyone 50 and above had bought a house by 25. They didn’t complain that the crushing debt of a home meant they needed help from mom and dad. They figured it out and did without luxuries.

Young adult priorities are so out of whack and that’s the biggest issue. Are parents largely to blame for that? Yeah probably.