By Invitation Only

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why the hell is college so expensive now vs 30 years ago? Time to hack expenses?
Administrative costs have went up like 50x. It’s not just vs 30 years ago. My wife has been out of undergrad a little over a decade. Costs have almost doubled in those 10 years.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I agree and I don’t.

Most anyone 50 and above had bought a house by 25. They didn’t complain that the crushing debt of a home meant they needed help from mom and dad. They figured it out and did without luxuries.

Young adult priorities are so out of whack and that’s the biggest issue. Are parents largely to blame for that? Yeah probably.
They sure are. Many young adults think they need the latest iPhone and Starbucks. Boys think they need the latest $300 sneakers while girls think they need the latest expensive purse brands, etc.

Brownslave688

Here’s my problem with that, the same parents told us we had to go to college and take on all of this debt. Nobody warns kids what it’s like to come out of school in such drowning debt. Between my wife and I we pay $2000 a month in student loans. And we are better off than most.

When kids are coming out of school with 80-100K in debt, something they never even understood when they were 18, parents have to understand they’re part of the system that allowed that to happen.
Parents are to blame for total lack of money skills too.

Don’t know that I ever saw one of my parents pay stubs. An 18 year old thinks making 40k a year buys a whole lot more than it does.

My kids will absolutely see that my wife only brings home half of “what she makes”

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree and I don’t.

Most anyone 50 and above had bought a house by 25. They didn’t complain that the crushing debt of a home meant they needed help from mom and dad. They figured it out and did without luxuries.

Young adult priorities are so out of whack and that’s the biggest issue. Are parents largely to blame for that? Yeah probably.
Those same 50 somethings didn’t pay near what students pay now when they went to college, even adjusted for inflation. That house by 25 argument doesn’t work for me. A quarter of my take home goes to student loans. I don’t make huge money, but I don’t make peanuts. That’s ridiculous. It’s essentially a mortgage payment right there

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The costs are soaring because borrowing is so cheap. Schools can get away with it.
I always thought that. I think the borrowing puts pressure on schools to upgrade the perks as well.

Stop the government involvement and the market corrects itself.

oldngray

nowhere special
I always thought that. I think the borrowing puts pressure on schools to upgrade the perks as well.

Plus the idea that every kid should go to college. I'm all for education but college is a waste of time and money for many.

Brownslave688

Those same 50 somethings didn’t pay near what students pay now when they went to college, even adjusted for inflation. That house by 25 argument doesn’t work for me. A quarter of my take home goes to student loans. I don’t make huge money, but I don’t make peanuts. That’s ridiculous. It’s essentially a mortgage payment right there
That’s what I’m saying though. That mortgage debt 30 years ago is equal to student loan debt now.

Trust me I get that student debt sucks. We pay 3k per month for my wife’s. There’s still a serious problem with priories and young adults.

My niece goes without meals almost everyday but they give their 2 dogs everything.

oldngray

nowhere special
That’s what I’m saying though. That mortgage debt 30 years ago is equal to student loan debt now.

Trust me I get that student debt sucks. We pay 3k per month for my wife’s. There’s still a serious problem with priories and young adults.

My niece goes without meals almost everyday but they give their 2 dogs everything.

Houses are far more affordable now in most parts of the country (except for the coasts full of crazy people). Mortgage rates are much cheaper than they used to be. College is about 10 times as expensive.

Which is a better bargain?

Brownslave688

You’re gonna have empty school buildings all over. Tens of thousands of laid off teachers. sports teams cut. Maintenance crews cut to bare bones. All so the admin can keep their gravy train.

It’s gonna get ugly. Real ugly.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You’re gonna have empty school buildings all over. Tens of thousands of laid off teachers. sports teams cut. Maintenance crews cut to bare bones. All so the admin can keep their gravy train.

It’s gonna get ugly. Real ugly.
Or, they could watch the spending. Does every state college need duplicate majors?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

My nephew and his girlfriend lived with me for a few months. He worked at the Louis Vuitton store. The whole time they lived with me he would bring home bags from there but when it was time for them to move they didn’t have the money to get a place. Plus I had to bug him just to give me $300 for utilities. That’s all I asked from them for the three months they were there.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

I visited Virginia Tech with my youngest brother and the whole presentation in the dorms was just showing how they were infinitely more fancy than anyone else.

I told him to look at the cost of that. Great when you live there, not great when you’re still paying for it at 45.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Plus the idea that every kid should go to college. I'm all for education but college is a waste of time and money for many.
Trade schools are fantastic. There were so many kids I went to college with that would have done great going into a trade rather than college. But in that school and that economic bracket, your choice is college or college.

Brownslave688

My nephew and his girlfriend lived with me for a few months. He worked at the Louis Vuitton store. The whole time they lived with me he would bring home bags from there but when it was time for them to move they didn’t have the money to get a place. Plus I had to bug him just to give me $300 for utilities. That’s all I asked from them for the three months they were there.
Should have picked out your favorite bag and said I’ll take that. Lol