By Invitation Only

rod

Retired 23 years
You always hear about the army draft but never the marines.
WTF is this fun fact history hour? If I wanted that, I could have tagged moreluck in for her BS and dumb anecdotes.

Because it took me so long to answer, I know you won't believe me thinking I googled it, but I think the Marines never drafted.
When I was drafted into the Army in 1968 the first thing they did when we reported to the Minneapolis induction center was to line us up against a wall and have us count off by 6's. 1 2 3 4 5 6- 1 2 3 4 5 6. They then told everyone who was a number 6 to take one step forward and follow the Marine Drill Instructor because you were going to the Marines. Yes the Marines drafted for 2 or 3 years (67-68-69 I believe). Sometimes it was every 10th guy or 12th guy (or not at all) but they did get their share.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
When I was drafted into the Army in 1968 the first thing they did when we reported to the Minneapolis induction center was to line up against a wall and count off by 6's. 1 2 3 4 5 6- 1 2 3 4 5 6. They then told everyone who was a number 6 to take one step forward and follow the Marine Drill Instructor because you were going to the Marines. Yes the Marines drafted for 2 or 3 years. Sometimes it was every 10th guy or 12th guy but they did get their share.
Dang.

Thanks for you service Rod!

rod

Retired 23 years
Dang.

Thanks for you service Rod!
I did a little more research on the draft. During the Vietnam War 42,633 men were drafted into the Marines with May of 1968 being the largest number drafted in a month. No Navy personnel were drafted during the years of Vietnam but during WWII the Navy also drafted. .

542thruNthru

View attachment 266159

Cordelia the tortoise. Lol.

This reminds me of a driver. He was delivering to a small town home with a fenced off front porch.

He walks up goes through the fence drops the package and comes back to the truck. The lady who is driving a Prius comes pulling up as he drives away.

The center manager gets a call shortly after about how the driver killed her $500 tortoise.

Apparently when the driver drove away he ran the tortoise over covering the Prius in its shell and guts. I saw the pictures.

He's still made fun of to this day for being beat by a tortoise back to his truck.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
1010A472-BC82-48B7-B41E-84F5E6455E02.jpeg

Good morning.

moreluck

golden ticket member
scooby0048 said:
WTF is this fun fact history hour? If I wanted that, I could have tagged moreluck in for her BS and dumb anecdotes.

I'm silently correcting you're (your) grammar!