California is a sorry excuse for a state

vantexan

Van, you have been a helper for the past few weeks or so-----what do you think is a fair hourly/annual wage for a UPS FT seniority pkg car driver?

I have stated in the past that $25-28/hr, plus benefits, would be a more appropriate wage for a job that only requires a HS diploma and drivers license.
There's nothing too complicated about what they do but it's a grind, often accompanied by bad weather. If the company and union have agreed to what's paid then I guess that's reasonable. Might have too much turnover with less pay. But I can remember when FedEx was a much more complicated job and we never got this pay. Express is a lot more streamlined now.

rickyb

Capitalist businesses are more likely to go bankrupt because of many factors including there are a heck of a lot more of them.
im not sure why but maybe cuz the workers dont give a :censored2: and just care about doing the least work possible and keeping their job??? thats me and many guys at my job. guys sleep on the job. were not rewarded for working harder.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Over 40 hours is OT. If it's available fine.
It's mandatory, and it's something that has to be taken into consideration when it comes to compensation. Not a lot of people want to work these hours.
Aren't UPS drivers making around $72k on 40 hours?
More like $75k here, depends on area, since some have pay raises diverted to underfunded pensions.
Is that fair?
For my area, I would say yes. I think some regional and local unions should probably consider adding cost of living adjustments to their supplements.
If not how much do you think they should make? And if they are all working OT at over $50hr then are they then making enough with good benefits or do you feel it should be more?
Our pay has more or less, simply kept up with inflation over the last 30+ years. I think that should continue.

I think it's unfortunate that other jobs haven't. I also think it's unfortunate that people in those other jobs resent people who are fairly compensated and want to bring others down with them.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
it would be reasonable if workers are the ones who own and decide what to do with the fruits of their labour like many worker cooperatives do
Co-operatives have the potential to reward the owner/employees, but they also pass the risks along as well. If that's what floats your boat, all you need is a game plan and a group of like-minded investors/employees to start your road to incredible wealth. Or, you could sell Amway! Either way, noone's stopping you.

rickyb

Co-operatives have the potential to reward the owner/employees, but they also pass the risks along as well. If that's what floats your boat, all you need is a game plan and a group of like-minded investors/employees to start your road to incredible wealth. Or, you could sell Amway! Either way, noone's stopping you.
government could incentivize them the way they do in italy.

capitalist workers take on risk too like working conditions, losing their jobs, etc.

It will be fine

government could incentivize them the way they do in italy.

capitalist workers take on risk too like working conditions, losing their jobs, etc.
There shouldn't be a need to incentivize them if they are more successful. According to you they should have a competitive advantage and would thus be far more prevalent.

rickyb

There shouldn't be a need to incentivize them if they are more successful. According to you they should have a competitive advantage and would thus be far more prevalent.
well they are and im not sure why they are not more prevalent. perhaps everyone thinking theres only 2 economic systems has something to do with it.

It will be fine

well they are and im not sure why they are not more prevalent. perhaps everyone thinking theres only 2 economic systems has something to do with it.
If I had to guess it's because the people with the skills required to start one would rather start a traditional company and keeps the fruits of their labour themselves.