Chernobyl, Ohio

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We can imagine how Putin might have felt when the President of the United States visited Kyiv. Mainstream media outlets are probably feeling very similarly about the former and increasingly likely future President of the United States' visit to East Palestine.
Long way to go. I predict Trump will not win the primaries.

Box Ox

Interesting additional info from the NTSB report.

Sounds like the crew wasn't being negligent in not stopping the train as the bearing temperature was rising. They just hadn't hit Norfolk Southern's temperature threshold of 170 degrees over ambient that would trigger an audible alarm from a hot bearing detector until they hit the detector at milepost 49.81 at 253 degrees above ambient. When that happened the crew took immediate action. But it was too late.

"Train 32N had 149 railcars, and 1 distributed power locomotive
  • This included 20 placarded hazardous materials tank cars transporting combustible liquids, flammable liquids, and flammable gas, including vinyl chloride.
Train 32N was traveling about 47 mph at the time of the derailment, which was less than the maximum authorized timetable speed of 50 mph

Train 32 was operating with a dynamic brake application, The wayside defect detector, or hot bearing detector (HBD), as the train passed a wayside defect detector on the east side of Palestine, Ohio, at milepost (MP) 49.81 transmitted a critical audible alarm message instructing the crew to slow and stop the train to inspect a hot axle.

• Train 32N passed three HBD systems on its trip before the derailment.
  • At MP 79.9, the suspect bearing from the 23rd car had a recorded temperature of 38°friend above ambient temperature.
  • When train 32N passed the next HBD, at MP 69.01, the bearing’s recorded temperature was 103°friend above ambient.
  • The third HBD, at MP 49.81, recorded the suspect bearing’s temperature at 253°friend above ambient.
NS has established the following HBD alarm thresholds (above ambient temperature) and criteria for bearings:
  • Between 170°friend and 200°friend, warm bearing (non-critical); stop and inspect
  • A difference between bearings on the same axle greater than or equal to 115°friend (non-critical); stop and inspect
  • Greater than 200°friend (critical); set out railcar"

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1677202390697.png

FozziesDeliveries

FozziesDeliveries

Sounds like the crew wasn't being negligent in not stopping the train as the bearing temperature was rising. They just hadn't hit Norfolk Southern's temperature threshold of 170 degrees over ambient that would trigger an audible alarm from a hot bearing detector until they hit the detector at milepost 49.81 at 253 degrees above ambient. When that happened the crew took immediate action. But it was too late.

• This included 20 placarded hazardous materials tank cars transporting combustible liquids, flammable liquids, and flammable gas, including vinyl chloride.
Train 32N was traveling about 47 mph at the time of the derailment, which was less than the maximum authorized timetable speed of 50 mph

Train 32 was operating with a dynamic brake application, The wayside defect detector, or hot bearing detector (HBD), as the train passed a wayside defect detector on the east side of Palestine, Ohio, at milepost (MP) 49.81 transmitted a critical audible alarm message instructing the crew to slow and stop the train to inspect a hot axle.

• At MP 79.9, the suspect bearing from the 23rd car had a recorded temperature of 38°friend above ambient temperature.
  • When train 32N passed the next HBD, at MP 69.01, the bearing’s recorded temperature was 103°friend above ambient.
  • The third HBD, at MP 49.81, recorded the suspect bearing’s temperature at 253°friend above ambient.
NS has established the following HBD alarm thresholds (above ambient temperature) and criteria for bearings:
  • Between 170°friend and 200°friend, warm bearing (non-critical); stop and inspect
  • A difference between bearings on the same axle greater than or equal to 115°friend (non-critical); stop and inspect
Hmmm i don't get how with security footage from businesses in Salem that the train wasn't stopped sooner. You can see a BRIGHT glow from the axle there and Salem is i think around 20 miles from East Palestine with a sensor box there.

vantexan

Hmmm i don't get how with security footage from businesses in Salem that the train wasn't stopped sooner. You can see a BRIGHT glow from the axle there and Salem is i think around 20 miles from East Palestine with a sensor box there.
My understanding is they weren't warned to shut down until just before derailment.

Box Ox

My understanding is they weren't warned to shut down until just before derailment.

So my guess is that the hot bearing detector 20 miles from East Palestine is the one at milepost 69.01, where the temperature reading was 103 degrees above ambient. Hot bearing detectors don't trigger an alarm until they read 170 degrees or higher. 170 being the threshold for a "non-critical" alarm telling operators to stop and inspect, and higher than 200 degrees being the threshold for a "critical" alarm to "set out railcar."

So within that final 20 mile stretch between hot bearing detectors the bearing went from 103 degrees above ambient, which didn't trigger any alarms, to 253 degrees above ambient, which triggered the critical alarm when they crossed that last hot bearing detector and had the crew hit the brakes.

The NTSB or whoever probably will look at the glow in that footage near the second to last hot bearing detector at milepost 69.01 and also wonder why the hot bearing detector was only reading 103 degrees at that time. Maybe they'll change something up with how/what the system registers in the future.

I'm not sure why 'Everything' today becomes a Political party issue?
The flippin wheel got too hot, DUH.
Who checked whether the Engineer was Democrat or Republican?
Hope there wasn't any UPS trailers on the train, would not want late deliveries.
VERY Serious situation going on and how close are you to train tracks?

vantexan

2 billion more to Ukraine and the people of Ohio are left with bottle water and Big Macs from our former president
I'm concluding that the Dems think they won't win Ohio so they aren't concerned about Ohio's problems. The thing is there's not any districts that I'm aware of that vote 100% for either party. You'd think they'd want to at least take care of their voters or they'll end up like in West Virginia turning a once majority Democrat state into a Republican one. The voters in next door Pennsylvania might start seeing the Republicans in a new light.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'm concluding that the Dems think they won't win Ohio so they aren't concerned about Ohio's problems. The thing is there's not any districts that I'm aware of that vote 100% for either party. You'd think they'd want to at least take care of their voters or they'll end up like in West Virginia turning a once majority Democrat state into a Republican one. The voters in next door Pennsylvania might start seeing the Republicans in a new light.
Ohio is no longer a swing state. That’s why they don’t care. Plus they know they’re gonna cheat and steal. They don’t care about half the country, that’s why they’re doing whatever they want.