Chernobyl, Ohio

Thebrownblob

the air brake laws are 150 years old or something lol

i used to do inspections on route at hudsons bay railway, did inspections coming into the train yard.

also track crews can do inspections.
We are not talking about airbrakes those have been around for years. They had an opportunity to spend money on Bluetooth sensors for every wheel on the train. They chose not to because they said it would cost too much money I think $3 billion. I wonder how much this disaster will cost them?

rickyb

We are not talking about airbrakes those have been around for years. They had an opportunity to spend money on Bluetooth sensors for every wheel on the train. They chose not to because they said it would cost too much money I think $3 billion. I wonder how much this disaster will cost them?
theyll get off easy unless theres public outrage

but yea they couldve fixed airbrake system too. the brakes go on 1 car at a time sequentially, so the car behind with no brakes slack runs into the car in front.

Thebrownblob

Inspector Clouseau?
1676840264726.gif

Nah
theyll get off easy unless theres public outrage

but yea they couldve fixed airbrake system too. the brakes go on 1 car at a time sequentially, so the car behind with no brakes slack runs into the car in front.
Isn't that why they put engines on the back of trains? They can be controlled from up front, and the engineer can engage the dynamic brakes in the rear from up front without the problem you're describing. Aren't the air brakes basically only for parking/emergencies?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Isn't that why they put engines on the back of trains? They can be controlled from up front, and the engineer can engage the dynamic brakes in the rear from up front without the problem you're describing. Aren't the air brakes basically only for parking/emergencies?
Not always in the back unless it’s a certain length.

Thebrownblob

That’s great I guess although a little late for East Palestine. Where was Pete two years ago with the Democrats in control? Oh that’s right he was on maternity leave

Box Ox

“The Environmental Protection Agency announced a sweeping enforcement action against Norfolk Southern on Tuesday, compelling the rail company to conduct and pay for cleanup actions associated with the Feb. 3 derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in East Palestine, Ohio.

“The Norfolk Southern train derailment has upended the lives of East Palestine families, and EPA’s order will ensure the company is held accountable for jeopardizing the health and safety of this community,” said EPA Administrator Michael Regan in remarks prepared for a news conference in East Palestine. “Let me be clear: Norfolk Southern will pay for cleaning up the mess they created and for the trauma they’ve inflicted on this community.”

If the company fails to complete any of the actions ordered by the EPA, the agency will “immediately” conduct the necessary work and then seek to compel Norfolk Southern to pay triple the cost. The order will require the company to identify and clean contaminated soil and water; pay any EPA costs, including reimbursing the agency for cleaning services that it will offer to residents and businesses; and participate in public meetings at EPA’s request and post information on-line.“

oldngray

nowhere special

“The Environmental Protection Agency announced a sweeping enforcement action against Norfolk Southern on Tuesday, compelling the rail company to conduct and pay for cleanup actions associated with the Feb. 3 derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in East Palestine, Ohio.

“The Norfolk Southern train derailment has upended the lives of East Palestine families, and EPA’s order will ensure the company is held accountable for jeopardizing the health and safety of this community,” said EPA Administrator Michael Regan in remarks prepared for a news conference in East Palestine. “Let me be clear: Norfolk Southern will pay for cleaning up the mess they created and for the trauma they’ve inflicted on this community.”

If the company fails to complete any of the actions ordered by the EPA, the agency will “immediately” conduct the necessary work and then seek to compel Norfolk Southern to pay triple the cost. The order will require the company to identify and clean contaminated soil and water; pay any EPA costs, including reimbursing the agency for cleaning services that it will offer to residents and businesses; and participate in public meetings at EPA’s request and post information on-line.“
Didn't the EPA say everything there was safe before?