Christianity

Integrity

Binge Poster
So a book describing sex acts for entertainment, not education, needs a line drawn? Is it acceptable for 8, 10, 12 year olds to read novels from school libraries that describe vividly both adults as well as teens having sex? This is an actual thing, I've seen videos of kids and adults reading from such books at schoolboard meetings. Even if it's a nonfiction educational book it shouldn't be seen by kids that young.
If I was concerned about any material in my children’s school library the first thing I would do is I would instruct my children not to read anything out of the school library before I personally review it and approve it for them to read.

It is just that simple.

vantexan

In part yes, not totally.

I am not interested in what you think a responsible parent would do, I am interested in the situation you brought up.

Did the parents call the school?

Did parents talk to their kids?
Are you not familiar with the term hypothetical and its use in a discussion? Seriously you're either a troll trying to work people up for kicks or you're the most obtuse person I've ever encountered.

vantexan

If I was concerned about any material in my children’s school library the first thing I would do is I would instruct my children not to read anything out of the school library before I personally review it and approve it for them to read.

It is just that simple.
Is that your drawn line? That you'd monitor what your child reads but you have no responsibility to the other kids at the school? Put it on their parents but don't insist the school remove the objectionable material?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Is that your drawn line?
Not sure what this means
That you'd monitor what your child reads but you have no responsibility to the other kids at the school?
Never said that.
Put it on their parents but don't insist the school remove the objectionable material?
Insist.

Please.

IMO There is a way to handle issue of this nature and IMO if I was concerned about any material in my children’s school library the first thing I would do is I would instruct my children not to read anything out of the school library before I personally review it and approve it for them to read.

It is just that simple.

vantexan

Because I sense that you are of some faith. However the things you say don’t jive with the Bible. Maybe you’re not christian? Idk. That’s why I said what I did. What is your story?
He doesn't believe he has to follow the Bible because in his opinion it's the written traditions of men. He believes he gets direct revelation from the Holy Spirit.

vantexan

Not sure what this means

Never said that.
You asked where do we draw the line on removing books? That you weren't going to give in to some book burning ideology. So your line appears to be your parenting of your child. That's your responsibility. If the library chooses to carry such books it's not your responsibility to insist they be removed. Your duty is to your child. Other parents may be fine with such books so who's to say what's allowable?

Non liberal

He doesn't believe he has to follow the Bible because in his opinion it's the written traditions of men. He believes he gets direct revelation from the Holy Spirit.
Oh, I see, I see. That’s weird. It’s not a book of traditions. It’s a book of rules. Maybe he has it confused with the Talmud?

Integrity

Binge Poster
You asked where do we draw the line on removing books?
That is not actually what I asked. See the 2 quotes below.
That you weren't going to give in to some book burning ideology.
Not exactly what I said.
So your line appears to be your parenting of your child.
Things aren’t always as they appear.
That's your responsibility.
First responsibility yes.
If the library chooses to carry such books it's not your responsibility to insist they be removed.
My right, not my responsibility to request, not insist.
Your duty is to your child.
Primarily yes
Other parents may be fine with such books so who's to say what's allowable?
True.

I would say the local school board has authority and final say as to what’s allowable.

You said:
So if there are books designed to entertain kids, works of fiction, and they have vivid descriptions of sex acts, is it your opinion to insist those books be removed from the school library that's comparable to burning books?
I said:
It could be.

Who is going to draw this line?

You?