Christianity

vantexan

In this day an age I think bullying is high up there.

Yes and No.

Instruct their children properly.
And this is why we get frustrated with you. Too often lack of a direct response. You can and should instruct your children. You can also insist the library not contain such material. But apparently after going round and round you think a school library can contain books of a graphic sexual nature. Even works of fiction that describe sex acts in great detail. That's happening. This is the path one goes down when they don't want to take a definitive stand on issues. Start making allowances that should not be made.

vantexan

Sure. But the specific context we’re clearly talking about here is graphic sexual material in school libraries. Not the entirety of kids’ lives.

Interesting. You typically play the character of a super pious fella who I’d have thought would be categorically against graphic sexual material in school libraries. Are you breaking character on us?
Everything is relative. There are no absolutes.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sure. But the specific context we’re clearly talking about here is graphic sexual material in school libraries. Not the entirety of kids’ lives.

Interesting. You typically play the character of a super pious fella who I’d have thought would be categorically against graphic sexual material in school libraries.
Opinion on what defines this type of content varies.

Will not ever support fanatical book burning type ideology .
Are you breaking character on us?
That would be for you to decide.

vantexan

I don’t know. You said they protested at a school board meeting.

Yes or no are they doing this?

Never said that.

IMO there should be very strict guidelines as to what materials should be in elementary school libraries.

IMO parents should oversee and control the materials that their children are reading from elementary school libraries.
Yes or no are they doing this? If a parent is concerned enough to show up at a school board meeting, which you said wasn't the best way to handle it, don't you think as a concerned parent they are talking to their kid and calling the school?

vantexan

Opinion on what defines this type of content varies.

Will not ever support fanatical book burning type ideology .

That would be for you to decide.
So if there are books designed to entertain kids, works of fiction, and they have vivid descriptions of sex acts, is it your opinion to insist those books be removed from the school library that's comparable to burning books?

Integrity

Binge Poster
So if there are books designed to entertain kids, works of fiction, and they have vivid descriptions of sex acts, is it your opinion to insist those books be removed from the school library that's comparable to burning books?
It could be.

Who is going to draw this line?

You?

vantexan

I don’t think protesting is an effective plan.
"No son, I won't protest down at the school board or call your school. We must not try to remove books that others are ok with. Whenever you find something you don't quite understand just come to me and I'll explain it to you. Then when you see that in a book you can just ignore it." Don't worry, may seem at 10 you're a long ways a way but when you're 18 you can make your own mind up. Now if you're with a bunch of friends and they're looking at that book try to be cool about it so that you don't make them upset. Just pretend you like it. We must never try to put our values out there lest we upset others."

Integrity

Binge Poster
What are you going to do? Complain? Ha! Lot of good that will do you. Unless you have expendable finances to put them through private school you’re kind of stuck. You can protest, but conservatives get put in jail nowadays for protesting.
If I was concerned about any material in my children’s school library the first thing I would do is I would instruct my children not to read anything out of the school library before I personally review it and approve it for them to read.

It is just that simple.

vantexan

It could be.

Who is going to draw this line?

You?
So a book describing sex acts for entertainment, not education, needs a line drawn? Is it acceptable for 8, 10, 12 year olds to read novels from school libraries that describe vividly both adults as well as teens having sex? This is an actual thing, I've seen videos of kids and adults reading from such books at schoolboard meetings. Even if it's a nonfiction educational book it shouldn't be seen by kids that young.

vantexan

If I was concerned about any material in my children’s school library the first thing I would do is I would instruct my children not to read anything out of the school library before I personally review it and approve it for them to read.

It is just that simple.
But you won't try to have the smut removed from the library? Won't complain to anyone about what your child brought home?

Integrity

Binge Poster
"No son, I won't protest down at the school board or call your school.
Why wouldn’t you do this? I thought you would.
We must not try to remove books that others are ok with.
Why do you think this?
Whenever you find something you don't quite understand just come to me and I'll explain it to you.
Excellent practice.
Then when you see that in a book you can just ignore it."
This is a possible solution.
Don't worry, may seem at 10 you're a long ways a way but when you're 18 you can make your own mind up. Now if you're with a bunch of friends and they're looking at that book try to be cool about it so that you don't make them upset. Just pretend you like it. We must never try to put our values out there lest we upset others."
Not sure I agree with this. But if it works, go for it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You're totally focused on the parent being responsible but when I describe what a responsible parent would do you downplay it as not likely.
In part yes, not totally.

I am not interested in what you think a responsible parent would do, I am interested in the situation you brought up.

Did the parents call the school?

Did parents talk to their kids?

vantexan

Why wouldn’t you do this? I thought you would.

Why do you think this?

Excellent practice.

This is a possible solution.

Not sure I agree with this. But if it works, go for it.
You do realize I'm illustrating a likely scenario between you and your son based on your posts?