Christianity

El Correcto

god is dead
I would say you are completely misreading that story, but I know you haven't actually read it you're just parroting anti Christian propaganda.

That letter from Paul completely undermines the institution of slavery and cleverly calls out the dehumanization of slaves. It was an extremely radical concept.

Christianity is the only reason slavery was put to an end on this planet, you're just retconning history for your agenda.
No it isn’t. Christianity is packed full of pro slavery and master rhetoric.
Recognizing the evils in Christian doctrine doesn’t mean Christianity gets credit for it, I’d say Christianity is worse than the Old Testament and Judaism when it comes to slavery.
It excuses evil behavior from the masters and commands slaves to obey their masters as they would god, with fear and trembling.

It’s almost like when you don’t care about this world and view it only as a test to your allegiance to the cult you don’t really care if people spend their life in slavery or not.
For your one story about an Apostle sending a slave back to his master(lol trying to consider that anti-slavery), there is another 5-10 passage that strongly support master’s rights and admonish slaves into harsh servitude.

It’s a very silly argument to say Christianity freed the slaves. It’s also a silly argument to just use a blanket term like Christians to describe the abolitionists. They were mostly Quaker. They are much more like a @Integrity type Christian than they are a @vantexan or @BrownFlush .
This whole getting lectured by southern baptist type Christians is ridiculous, your denomination of Christianity, the one you learned Christianity from was the master’s brand of Christianity. They defended the slave trade of the south.

El Correcto

god is dead
Biblical literalist defended the slave trade, more progressive Christians who believed in continued revelation didn’t.

You people obsessed with using scripture to defend your evil attitudes towards the lgbt people today are not the same type of people who freed the slaves, you are just being absurd.

El Correcto

god is dead
Kudos to Christians for figuring out Christianity was wrong about slavery, I wonder how many hundreds of years it’ll take them to realize it’s just wrong in general.

vantexan

Recognizing the evils in Christian doctrine doesn’t mean Christianity gets credit for it, I’d say Christianity is worse than the Old Testament and Judaism when it comes to slavery.
It excuses evil behavior from the masters and commands slaves to obey their masters as they would god, with fear and trembling.

It’s almost like when you don’t care about this world and view it only as a test to your allegiance to the cult you don’t really care if people spend their life in slavery or not.
For your one story about an Apostle sending a slave back to his master(lol trying to consider that anti-slavery), there is another 5-10 passage that strongly support master’s rights and admonish slaves into harsh servitude.

It’s a very silly argument to say Christianity freed the slaves. It’s also a silly argument to just use a blanket term like Christians to describe the abolitionists. They were mostly Quaker. They are much more like a @Integrity type Christian than they are a @vantexan or @BrownFlush .
This whole getting lectured by southern baptist type Christians is ridiculous, your denomination of Christianity, the one you learned Christianity from was the master’s brand of Christianity. They defended the slave trade of the south.
Could you please tell me what civilizations before the Old Testament was written, during the time it was written, and after it was written had outlawed slavery?

El Correcto

god is dead
Could you please tell me what civilizations before the Old Testament was written, during the time it was written, and after it was written had outlawed slavery?
Why does that matter? Christianity claims to be divine truth, your divine truth supports slavery. Doesn’t seem very divine to me if it is being compared to society’s of man and our morality.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Nothing you said is true which is why you backed it up with nothing but ranting and whining.

El Correcto

god is dead
Nothing you said is true which is why you backed it up with nothing but ranting and whining.
Church admitting it, there are more denominations that defended slavery than just them, it was done by biblical literalist obsessed with scripture.
Does a good job of summarizing why Christians no longer hold slavery as true, guess what it is a progressive view on scripture as a whole, not a literalist interpretation like what is used on this website to bash gays.

El Correcto

god is dead
The same Christians y’all make fun of for saying love thy neighbor when discussing gays are the same kind of Christians who focus on abolitionist interpretations of the Bible.

vantexan

Why does that matter? Christianity claims to be divine truth, your divine truth supports slavery. Doesn’t seem very divine to me if it is being compared to society’s of man and our morality.
Do you think that it was in a Christian society when the New Testament was written? It was exactly the kind of brutal, hedonistic world you long for.

vantexan

The same Christians y’all make fun of for saying love thy neighbor when discussing gays are the same kind of Christians who focus on abolitionist interpretations of the Bible.
Do you believe that standing up to open hedonism and the grooming of children is the same as persecuting homosexuals?

vantexan

Seeing as you think teaching kids acceptance of lgbt people is grooming them and hedonism is being gay, yes I do.
So parents don't have the right to teach their children that they believe homosexuality is wrong? And hedonism is about more than being gay, but that gay pride parade display that showed that guy's bare buttocks being struck would certainly qualify as hedonism.

El Correcto

god is dead
Do you think that it was in a Christian society when the New Testament was written? It was exactly the kind of brutal, hedonistic world you long for.
Is the New Testament not the teaching of god now(objective morality), but a morality of the people who wrote it? This is a big step for you.

El Correcto

god is dead
So parents don't have the right to teach their children that they believe homosexuality is wrong? And hedonism is about more than being gay, but that gay pride parade display that showed that guy's bare buttocks being struck would certainly qualify as hedonism.
Hedonism isn’t about being more than gay to you. Gays are naturally hedonistic in your eyes, you just want to back away from it.
Does society not have a duty to teach them that their parents are stupid?
What if a parent was going around quoting scripture teaching their kids slavery was okay, it says it right there in your source of “objective morality” the Bible. Should we allow kids to go around believing that nonsense without challenging it?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Hedonism isn’t about being more than gay to you. Gays are naturally hedonistic in your eyes, you just want to back away from it.
What if a parent was going around quoting scripture teaching their kids slavery was okay, it says it right there in your source of “objective morality” the Bible. Should we allow kids to go around believing that nonsense without challenging it?
What about parents going around quoting scripture that incest is okay? Those christians are sick people in some ways.

El Correcto

god is dead
What about parents going around quoting scripture that incest is okay? Those christians are sick people in some ways.
That’s true there is tons of incest in the Bible that is just kind meh, yeah this happened and it’s not a big deal. There are also a couple rules around it that wouldn’t hold up by todays standards, too lenient.

vantexan

Being gay in my opinion is a hedonistic lifestyle but there are plenty of people other than gays who are hedonists. Not backing away from anything. What strikes me about you is you think you know how all Christians think on all subjects. That's basing your beliefs on preconceived stereotypes, and is no more accurate than saying all gays act and think a certain way. In other words not a smart way to see anything, but you do it anyways. You have the right to believe what you want. You don't, or at least shouldn't, depending on the state or city, have the right to try to influence minor children to alter their sex in a permanent manner while keeping your efforts hidden from that child's parents. You seem to think that's perfectly acceptable. Leave kids alone and let their parents raise them. And you also want to alter reality concerning the Bible and slavery. Christianity didn't create slavery. Slavery was a worldwide practice long before Christianity was established. But your hatred drives you to mischaracterize everything about Christianity.

El Correcto

god is dead
Being gay in my opinion is a hedonistic lifestyle but there are plenty of people other than gays who are hedonists. Not backing away from anything. What strikes me about you is you think you know how all Christians think on all subjects. That's basing your beliefs on preconceived stereotypes, and is no more accurate than saying all gays act and think a certain way. In other words not a smart way to see anything, but you do it anyways. You have the right to believe what you want. You don't, or at least shouldn't, depending on the state or city, have the right to try to influence minor children to alter their sex in a permanent manner while keeping your efforts hidden from that child's parents. You seem to think that's perfectly acceptable. Leave kids alone and let their parents raise them. And you also want to alter reality concerning the Bible and slavery. Christianity didn't create slavery. Slavery was a worldwide practice long before Christianity was established. But your hatred drives you to mischaracterize everything about Christianity.
I never said Christianity created slavery, I said it condoned it.

Then yes you trying to keep society from allowing “open hedonism” is discriminatory towards gays since you see gays as hedonistic.

I’ve made it a point to highlight different denominations of Christians and different christian interpretations of the Bible. That isn’t saying all Christians think alike, but Christianity itself absolutely does condone slavery and discriminated towards gays. If anything you’re projecting your point of view onto me, you are the ones who see Christians as a monolith of progress only claiming the glory of good “Christian” movements. I agree with you that this isn’t a smart way to view it which is why I’m correcting you on your wrong headed views of Christianity.

Why should state or city validate my morality? No one is forcing kids to be transgender, they are teaching them acceptance of lgbtq people and by your definition of lgbtq that is the problem you truly have. I don’t take issue with trans teens or people in general, I don’t care if they want to transition. There is nothing wrong with being trans or gay.

Your point of view is schizophrenic at times.
I’m not altering reality of the Bible or slavery. I’m telling you the truth of it from a position of not being indoctrinated by southern Christianity.
You can’t even argue against it which is why you go into these tangents about gays and kids.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Church admitting it, there are more denominations that defended slavery than just them, it was done by biblical literalist obsessed with scripture.
Does a good job of summarizing why Christians no longer hold slavery as true, guess what it is a progressive view on scripture as a whole, not a literalist interpretation like what is used on this website to bash gays.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

The new testament condemns enslaving people by force, encourages slaves to earn their freedom, and commands masters and slaves to treat each other as equals in the eyes of God.

El Correcto

god is dead
You have no idea what you're talking about.

The new testament condemns enslaving people by force, encourages slaves to earn their freedom, and commands masters and slaves to treat each other as equals in the eyes of God.
You have no idea what you’re talking about.
That’s why you don’t source out your scripture for it. You can find pockets of progressive thought in the Bible,

“Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse. For whenever anyone bears the pain of unjust suffering because of consciousness of God, that is a grace. But what credit is there if you are patient when beaten for doing wrong? But if you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered* for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps.”

“Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord.”

“Slaves are to be under the control of their masters in all respects, giving them satisfaction, not talking back to them stealing from them, but exhibiting complete good faith, so as to adorn the doctrine of God our savior in every way.”

“Those who are under the yoke of slavery must regard their masters as worthy of full respect, so that the name of God and our teaching may not suffer abuse. Those whose masters are believers must not take advantage of them because they are brothers but must give better service because those who will profit from their work are believers and are beloved”

The Bible is overwhelming pro slavery. Majority of the passages speaking about slavery are telling slaves to obey. Your proof for it not being pro slavery is saying, “slaves earn your freedom” or a story about an apostle returning a slave to his master. That isn’t very convincing stuff bud.