Christianity

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
So you're looking for a way to discount my views in order to justify having sexually explicit material in school libraries or teaching that whites are as a race inherently racist.

OK
If those books are in the library who is forcing the kids to read them?

vantexan

If those books are in the library who is forcing the kids to read them?
So again, you're defending the right of schools to purchase with taxpayer dollars sexually explicit material and make it freely available to children and raging hormone teenagers. It's the kids fault apparently if they read it and not the school's problem.

Ok.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So you're looking for a way to discount my views in order to justify having sexually explicit material in school libraries or teaching that whites are as a race inherently racist.

OK
Not at all.

I will not justify either.

Maybe my response to their current existence in a public school system might be different but definitely not meant justifying, support or protest them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So again, you're defending the right of schools to purchase with taxpayer dollars sexually explicit material and make it freely available to children and raging hormone teenagers. It's the kids fault apparently if they read it and not the school's problem.

Ok.
I think it’s actually the parents fault.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ok.

Ok.

Do you know who specifically decides books for school library shelves?

I am not defending any material for school library shelves or not.

What I will say is, if what you say is true then a concerned parent should IMO instruct their child not to read any book from a school library until the parent has fully reviewed and approved the book for the child to read.
So, if for example, a Hustler magazine found its way onto an elementary school library shelf, it should remain there, and parents should accept that?

If so, you are completely clueless.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There seems to exist much confusion regarding the appropriate content of publications sitting in school libraries. Seems many of you feel that if it accessible on the internet, it should be found in those libraries. Your values should support the enhancement of society, not its detriment. And if you’re unable to differentiate, you should exclude yourself from the conversation.

Integrity

Binge Poster
There seems to exist much confusion regarding the appropriate content of publications sitting in school libraries.
I don’t see it that way.
Seems many of you feel that if it accessible on the internet, it should be found in those libraries.
Didn’t see that point in this discussion.
Your values should support the enhancement of society, not its detriment.
I don’t think this is a universal goal for all.
And if you’re unable to differentiate, you should exclude yourself from the conversation.
Not sure what you mean by this.

vantexan

If you want to accurately portray my viewpoints, which IMO you probably don’t, then please provide the context.
Everyone can go back up and read the thread. You said the kids reading such material in a school library was the parents responsibility. You didn't say the material shouldn't be in the library. You didn't say the librarians should be responsible for keeping such material out of the library. You said if the kids are reading it it's the parents who are at fault.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Everyone can go back up and read the thread.
Yes they can.
You said the kids reading such material in a school library was the parents responsibility.
Not exactly, context my friend.
You didn't say the material shouldn't be in the library.
I didn’t say the material should be in the library either.
You didn't say the librarians should be responsible for keeping such material out of the library.
I asked who specifically is responsible for deciding which books should be in a public school library. You didn’t have a clear answer. I assume you don’t know either.
You said if the kids are reading it it's the parents who are at fault.
If the parents know that books not meeting their standards or values are in the public school library and they don’t instruct their children to not read anything out of the school library without it first being approved by themselves then yes IMO the parents have no one to blame but themselves, therefore in these circumstances IMI they are at fault .