dow 27000

Meat

Somehow I’m still alive without eating meat for over a decade. I don’t think you really appreciate how inefficient meat production is if your goal is providing calories for human consumption.

My cousin worked on the set of a Morrissey video in the early nineties. Meat of any sort was strictly forbidden on the set due to the singers’s vegan beliefs (I know what some of you are thinking - I wish Meat was forbidden on these boards, but I digress). She’s terribly diabetic, and all they served was pasta. She wasn’t too impressed.

It will be fine

Can you point to all the unused farmland that's capable of turning out crop after crop? Good farmland is a limited commodity. As a matter of fact a lot of pasture is used as such because it's not good for growing crops. Geez, what did they teach you in school?
With only the grain being fed to cows in America you could feed 800 million people. Do you ever do any research before making arguments?

vantexan

With only the grain being fed to cows in America you could feed 800 million people. Do you ever do any research before making arguments?
You're not too bright are you? You don't want to kill the cows so we would have to wait until they die. So no meat, and with the cows consuming grain and using pasture there's not enough farming capacity to feed everyone vegetables while we wait for them to die off. If you ever got your way better believe people will kill the cattle, and pigs, and chickens, etc rather than starve. Of course if you had your way no one would have guns.

It will be fine

You're not too bright are you? You don't want to kill the cows so we would have to wait until they die. So no meat, and with the cows consuming grain and using pasture there's not enough farming capacity to feed everyone vegetables while we wait for them to die off. If you ever got your way better believe people will kill the cattle, and pigs, and chickens, etc rather than starve. Of course if you had your way no one would have guns.
I’m arguing the practical reality of the inefficiency of meat production. You’re rambling about killing every living cow as if that’s an argument I made. It’s the strawman debate tactic. Make up a stupid argument and then argue against it. It’s what you do when you don’t have a real counter argument.

vantexan

I’m arguing the practical reality of the inefficiency of meat production. You’re rambling about killing every living cow as if that’s an argument I made. It’s the strawman debate tactic. Make up a stupid argument and then argue against it. It’s what you do when you don’t have a real counter argument.
Who cares if it's inefficient? It tastes great. Who wants to live on grain? And it's not a straw man argument. You vegans believe it's horrible to kill livestock(but babies ok) but don't think about the unintended consequences. If you want to live like that more power to you, but leave my steak alone.

bacha29

Emissions would go way down. Farm land would be used to grow food crops instead of feed for animals. Animal agriculture is wildly inefficient for providing enough calories to sustain humans.
Substituting plant protein for animal protein entorely would require millions more tilled acres tons of weed control herbicides,millions of tons of fertilizer the production of which would require oceans of natural gas, and surface mined phosphate and first and foremost an ocean of irrigation water.

It will be fine

Substituting plant protein for animal protein entorely would require millions more tilled acres tons of weed control herbicides,millions of tons of fertilizer the production of which would require oceans of natural gas, and surface mined phosphate and first and foremost an ocean of irrigation water.
Cows eat grains human could eat. How are those grains grown? SMH

bacha29

Cows eat grains human could eat. How are those grains grown? SMH
Has to be pretty tough for you running cows and growing crops on the streets of Boston. I on the other hand have run my share in behalf of my parents and among the things you're not thinking about is drought or excess rainfall, frost , short growing seasons in many parts of the US. In my area anything over 90 days is borrowed time . Not to mention the many acres cattle are being run on is land that are not suitable for anything else. While a plant based protein diet has many health benefits it's not likely to become a mainstay for the many reasons I've mentioned.... Then again...how much shredded wheat, Cheerios and pancakes can you eat in a day? That's right turning raw agricultural products into finished consumer food products is not cheap.

It will be fine

Has to be pretty tough for you running cows and growing crops on the streets of Boston. I on the other hand have run my share in behalf of my parents and among the things you're not thinking about is drought or excess rainfall, frost , short growing seasons in many parts of the US. In my area anything over 90 days is borrowed time . Not to mention the many acres cattle are being run on is land that are not suitable for anything else. While a plant based protein diet has many health benefits it's not likely to become a mainstay for the many reasons I've mentioned.... Then again...how much shredded wheat, Cheerios and pancakes can you eat in a day? That's right turning raw agricultural products into finished consumer food products is not cheap.
Cows eat grains humans could eat. Somehow those grains are grown despite the problems you cite. This isn’t a difficult concept. Where are you getting lost?

bacha29

Cows eat grains humans could eat. Somehow those grains are grown despite the problems you cite. This isn’t a difficult concept. Where are you getting lost?
Where are you getting lost? I've listed just a few reasons WHY a full conversion to a 100% nationwide plant protein diet will not occur for at least a couple of generations and probably not at all. It's comes down to cost and resources both natural and man made. If you think it's so easy why don't you take some of the fortune you claim to have made hauling Fat Freddy's boxes buy yourself a short season non irrigated grain farm and try it yourself. You'll see what I'm talking about.

It will be fine

Where are you getting lost? I've listed just a few reasons WHY a full conversion to a 100% nationwide plant protein diet will not occur for at least a couple of generations and probably not at all. It's comes down to cost and resources both natural and man made. If you think it's so easy why don't you take some of the fortune you claim to have made hauling Fat Freddy's boxes buy yourself a short season non irrigated grain farm and try it yourself. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Costs and resources are lower for plant based protein. This isn’t difficult.

bacha29

Costs and resources are lower for plant based protein. This isn’t difficult.
Sure if grain prices continue to remain the lowest in 12 years and there's still enough water in the Ogallala Aquifer is keep the mid western grain belt irrigated but neither is by no means guaranteed. Moreover are you going to walk out to the granary every morning and grab a bowl of raw soybeans (which have to be dried) or raw wheat or oats for breakfast? Of course not. They all require complex and expensive processing before it gets turn into your favorite breakfast cereal.BTW California produce farmers in normal years could get a permit (if granted) for an acre foot of irrigated water from the water authority for $60. When one of the worst droughts in the state's history hit that $60 went to 4 million.

It will be fine

Sure if grain prices continue to remain the lowest in 12 years and there's still enough water in the Ogallala Aquifer is keep the mid western grain belt irrigated but neither is by no means guaranteed. Moreover are you going to walk out to the granary every morning and grab a bowl of raw soybeans (which have to be dried) or raw wheat or oats for breakfast? Of course not. They all require complex and expensive processing before it gets turn into your favorite breakfast cereal.BTW California produce farmers in normal years could get a permit (if granted) for an acre foot of irrigated water from the water authority for $60. When one of the worst droughts in the state's history hit that $60 went to 4 million.
Cool story, cows eat grain.

bacha29

Cows eat grass until transported to feedlots.
And we've tried grass only fed beef but they are going to be smaller in size and the meat's going to be tougher And as a result not an easy piece of beef to sell.In feed lots as you well know complex feed rations are designed with the intent of achieving maximum weight gain and meat quality. Then too given that he lives up there along the coast I wonder how much lobster IWDF has chomped down on over the years.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
When we eat meat it is usually grass-fed. We mostly eat fish, a hell of a lot of Salmon. Some chicken and lots of vegetables. I have a niece who's been a vegetarian and a vegan, bounces back and forth. The problem is she loads up on lots of carbs, not great in my opinion.

Grass-fed cattle are usually raised without antibiotics. And when pastures are well managed, beef production is less energy-intensive, less polluting, and more humane than feedlot operations. Also, the beef has omega 3's.

floridays

A dairy cow will consume 100 lbs of feed per day and produce 7-9 gallons of milk. If you skipped the cow and just grew food for humans you would be using the available resources more efficiently.
Lets compromise, you can be pro choice and keep killing unborn humans
I'll choose to eat meat (my choice), something that had a face on it that was allowed to be birthed.

Is that a deal? Or do you clowns (@Sportello ) have to dictate every damn thing?