E-Star* Update!

El Morado Diablo

I think we are supposed to start E-Star later in the next month or so. Funny thing is, we were told this week that we don't have to follow it if we don't want to in our station. To which everyone in our workgroup asked, "Why are we even bothering with it if we don't have to follow it?" Management just shrugged their shoulders and said they were just telling us what they had been told.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And by what standard of treatment of its workforce has FedEx earned any kind of right to dedication to assist in making something work that has, at its root, making that workforce replaceable and dispensable?

You really DO need an anal craniotomy!
"They didn't ask for our input on this! I have so much expeeeeeeeerience and route knoooooooowlege!"
"OK, you can use that experience and knowledge to help make this work better."
"NO!!!"

LOL.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
"They didn't ask for our input on this! I have so much expeeeeeeeerience and route knoooooooowlege!"
"NO!!!"

LOL.
“You lied to us, and refuse to pay our market worth!”

And in what alternate universe would an insecure management ask for input from those who actually do the real work?

“Go pound sand!”

Last edited:

floridays

"NO!!!"

LOL.
You aren't that stupid, you understand his point.

Or maybe you are and you don't.

El Morado Diablo

"NO!!!"

LOL.

That's like being told you are being let go but the company wants you to spend your last 2 weeks training your replacement. friend*$@ that.

McFeely

Huge Member
"NO!!!"

I can count on zero hands the number of times management and the maroon engineer at my station have listened and implemented changes based on courier knowledge and first-hand experience.

The only thing that seems to invoke change at my station is massive amounts of lates. Even that isn't getting fixed, nor are the amount of DEX 01s that we have daily.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I can count on zero hands the number of times management and the maroon engineer at my station have listened and implemented changes based on courier knowledge and first-hand experience.

The only thing that seems to invoke change at my station is massive amounts of lates. Even that isn't getting fixed, nor are the amount of DEX 01s that we have daily.
And the odd irony of it all is that @59 Dano is of the opinion that couriers have nothing to offer in the way of improving the company, and therefore do not deserve to be properly compensated for it.

shartpost

Those variables, for the most part, can be programmed into the software. It's up to you, your manager, and your engineer to make those adjustments.

This system will never work. Pee stain does not account for any shenanigans on road that couriers will encounter. What happens when pee stain's algorithm directs you into a neighborhood where a school day is just ending and you're stuck in a traffic jam of angry parents waiting for their brats? How will it adjust when you have to access a daily pickup off a main road that's been closed all afternoon due to a fatal car wreck and you have to spend extra time circling around to even get close to the building? Running a route efficiently boils down to how well you can flow from one stop into the next. When you try to control and dictate that flow for everyone on road you get disastrous results. Since pee stain is making everyone an unpaid swing there is no incentive to help anyone else using the stop notes let alone having a one on one with the engineer tinkering with some lines of code and cocaine.

Star B

White Lightening
Since pee stain is making everyone an unpaid swing there is no incentive to help anyone else using the stop notes let alone having a one on one with the engineer tinkering with some lines of code and cocaine.
That's basically what it is.

Now, I'm going to counter with some real-world intelligence and reasoning behind it -- not because I agree with it -- but because it's actual facts.

What happens when pee stain's algorithm directs you into a neighborhood where a school day is just ending and you're stuck in a traffic jam of angry parents waiting for their brats?
most angry parents waiting for brats probably have had an iPhone, Android, or a vehicle with telematics (*cough* onstar *cough*) collecting average road speeds daily for years now. 2009 is when Android éclair & iOS 3.0 came out. Taking away COVID years, that's 4015 days (~11 years) worth of historical driving data for those streets broken down by the hour, possibly even the quarter hour. Add in OnStar data that they have been collecting since around 2000 or so (first versions were in 1996). The data is there. It just has to be utilized (and bought.....)

How will it adjust when you have to access a daily pickup off a main road that's been closed all afternoon due to a fatal car wreck and you have to spend extra time circling around to even get close to the building?
If you have that many fatal wrecks blocking roads on the regular, the DOT needs to fix that road. When you say circling the building, because of the wreck, see prior comment. If you are talking about on a daily occurrence, e* can take that into account.

Running a route efficiently boils down to how well you can flow from one stop into the next.
This is where it is, but Amazon and FXG show on a daily basis that technology can babysit the CRRs to get the job done and the employee costs is lower anyway because you just use em, abuse em, throw em away, dont have to worry about pensions, 401ks, or legacy costs -- they wont be here long enough to be a data point.

MAKAVELI

That's basically what it is.

Now, I'm going to counter with some real-world intelligence and reasoning behind it -- not because I agree with it -- but because it's actual facts.

most angry parents waiting for brats probably have had an iPhone, Android, or a vehicle with telematics (*cough* onstar *cough*) collecting average road speeds daily for years now. 2009 is when Android éclair & iOS 3.0 came out. Taking away COVID years, that's 4015 days (~11 years) worth of historical driving data for those streets broken down by the hour, possibly even the quarter hour. Add in OnStar data that they have been collecting since around 2000 or so (first versions were in 1996). The data is there. It just has to be utilized (and bought.....)

If you have that many fatal wrecks blocking roads on the regular, the DOT needs to fix that road. When you say circling the building, because of the wreck, see prior comment. If you are talking about on a daily occurrence, e* can take that into account.

This is where it is, but Amazon and FXG show on a daily basis that technology can babysit the CRRs to get the job done and the employee costs is lower anyway because you just use em, abuse em, throw em away, dont have to worry about pensions, 401ks, or legacy costs -- they wont be here long enough to be a data point.
Neither Ground or Amazon do what we do. It may work for them but not for the services we offer. Taking away route knowledge is the biggest mistake of this program.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Those variables, for the most part, can be programmed into the software. It's up to you, your manager, and your engineer to make those adjustments.
And you think a manager or an engineer is actually going work with you on this? You’re on your own chief, up-creek without a paddle.

Guitarman01

What about 0s @59 Dano ? Can estar automatically slot those into the correct route or does the manager just have to guess what route those might go on?
Now all of a sudden a couple wrong 0s just destroyed your entire route.
Also what happens if the roads labels get off?

59 Dano

“You lied to us, and refuse to pay our market worth!”

And in what alternate universe would an insecure management ask for input from those who actually do the real work?

“Go pound sand!”
Just goes to show that some people choose to stay miserable under the mistaken belief that they're sticking it to the man.

59 Dano

That's like being told you are being let go but the company wants you to spend your last 2 weeks training your replacement. friend*$@ that.
It's like being told that there's software that's going to play a role in the daily performance of your job and you have the ability to help make that software work more in your favor, and saying, "No thanks, I'd rather whine about how it doesn't work well because they won't listen to my suggestions."

59 Dano

And the odd irony of it all is that @59 Dano is of the opinion that couriers have nothing to offer in the way of improving the company, and therefore do not deserve to be properly compensated for it.
The odd irony is that when offered the opportunity to have a significant impact on operations that directly affect them and what they do, people like you wouldn't utter a peep because the company doesn't implement your brilliant ideas about how account execs are paid and other such things you know nothing about.

59 Dano

This system will never work. Pee stain does not account for any shenanigans on road that couriers will encounter. What happens when pee stain's algorithm directs you into a neighborhood where a school day is just ending and you're stuck in a traffic jam of angry parents waiting for their brats? How will it adjust when you have to access a daily pickup off a main road that's been closed all afternoon due to a fatal car wreck and you have to spend extra time circling around to even get close to the building? Running a route efficiently boils down to how well you can flow from one stop into the next. When you try to control and dictate that flow for everyone on road you get disastrous results. Since pee stain is making everyone an unpaid swing there is no incentive to help anyone else using the stop notes let alone having a one on one with the engineer tinkering with some lines of code and cocaine.
I see. They should never use EStar because a road might be closed one afternoon. Better wait on that software that's 100% perfect in 100% of all situations!