Excessive OT: is the time drawing near?

If the company resorts to *serious* discipline re: calling off on 6th punches will you still refuse?

• Yes

Votes: 44 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

Whither

Scofflaw
It seems unlikely that while we're lost in the weeds the company would try to push discipline for refusing 6th punches. Every week that we get asked if we're coming in on our 6th day it seems to me that the company is admitting weakness. They don't ask on regular days. Then admitting it further when they send an ODS thanking us for, essentially, 'taking one for the company'. But. If they should resort to discipline, is there an understanding among 'us' that we will fight back? I ask because I don't think there's an ETA for 'normal' and we should probably expect heavy resi volume well into the foreseeable future.

Comments/criticisms are welcomed.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
1592187041188.jpeg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It seems unlikely that while we're lost in the weeds the company would try to push discipline for refusing 6th punches. Every week that we get asked if we're coming in on our 6th day it seems to me that the company is admitting weakness. They don't ask on regular days. Then admitting it further when they send an ODS thanking us for, essentially, 'taking one for the company'. But. If they should resort to discipline, is there an understanding among 'us' that we will fight back? I ask because I don't think there's an ETA for 'normal' and we should probably expect heavy resi volume well into the foreseeable future.

We're still on voluntary/force from the bottom on Saturdays. I have other stuff that I have to get done on the weekends, especially when I don't get home 'til 9 or 10 at night.

Rack em

Made the Podium
This is getting to be ridiculous. No one anywhere should be forced to work a 6th punch, especially since we have been running peak volume non stop. If the union won't stand up for it's members then the members need to take action for themselves. EVERY driver who doesn't want to work a 6th punch can use the Federal Motor Carrier safety Administration rule 392.3. The company cannot force anyone who is ill or fatigued to work. We had drivers use it during peak this last year on Friday night, they just sent a message in saying they were too fatigued to finish, brought their trucks back, and left. No discipline could be issued. Know ALL of your rights including things that aren't in the contract and it will make this job a lot easier and less stressful.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

This is getting to be ridiculous. No one anywhere should be forced to work a 6th punch, especially since we have been running peak volume non stop. If the union won't stand up for it's members then the members need to take action for themselves. EVERY driver who doesn't want to work a 6th punch can use the Federal Motor Carrier safety Administration rule 392.3. The company cannot force anyone who is ill or fatigued to work. We had drivers use it during peak this last year on Friday night, they just sent a message in saying they were too fatigued to finish, brought their trucks back, and left. No discipline could be issued. Know ALL of your rights including things that aren't in the contract and it will make this job a lot easier and less stressful.

*Blocks your path*

carol-tome-chief-executive-officer-elect-ups-c-ups.jpg

Package Stick

"Send it."
We have a ton of rights that aren't in the contract. OSHA, NLRB, United States Department of Labor, etc. Find them, read them, and know them.

ManInBrown

For the 1000th time, this is a company that preys on the weak. They blast out a message saying everyone must work Saturdays in the hopes that 10 scaredy cat, fingernail biting drivers show up. If ten show up, it’s ten more then they had. It’s real simple. Hi Its Joe Blow. Not coming in today. Can’t work a 6th punch. I’m fatigued and won’t be able to drive safely. Click

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
For the 1000th time, this is a company that preys on the weak. They blast out a message saying everyone must work Saturdays in the hopes that 10 scaredy cat, fingernail biting drivers show up. If ten show up, it’s ten more then they had. It’s real simple. Hi Its Joe Blow. Not coming in today. Can’t work a 6th punch. I’m fatigued and won’t be able to drive safely. Click
I couldn’t imagine being in a building where drivers actually buy the “forced 6th punch” nonsense. Management here has given up on that, and the past couple of peaks it’s been, “for those that can come in this Saturday...”

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Like these blue state governors, the company seems to have forgotten the original "essential worker" mantra they were pushing. Now they are refusing to throttle back Amazon volume in order to maximize profit, even if it means physically destroying drivers.

Some of these young guys are getting worn out.

Whither

Scofflaw

Lol, thanks but you definitely misunderstood my question brother. I called off for the second time in as many weeks.

Whither

Scofflaw
I couldn’t imagine being in a building where drivers actually buy the “forced 6th punch” nonsense. Management here has given up on that, and the past couple of peaks it’s been, “for those that can come in this Saturday...”

Well, here our local buys into it and instructs us that we must call off to avoid a No-Call/No-Show. BA even had the gall to tell me I had an 'attendance problem' for two call-offs during peak -- one was a 6th punch, the other I was out one week with a doctor's excuse for the flu. But my stew and plenty of fellow drivers want clear language against forced 6th punches in 2023 -- there's nothing in the NMA or the Central that would prevent the company from scheduling us 6 days.

Last edited:

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Local told us to call in tell them we’re not coming in, not to call off sick just say we’re not coming in. I’ve done that for about 3 months now. No issue yet. Over 60 is voluntary. I came back Friday at 7 left the car in the middle of the aisle because of the copious amounts of boxes blocking all the docks and just left.

Whither

Scofflaw
It's about the same way here. I worked this past Saturday., One six day week was enough for me

Yup, I worked last Monday after calling off the Monday before (and, now, today haha). Told myself at least I'd have a very short Sat. Had less than 5 hours available, got a short, cake route and was back to the building around noon. Then I got to spend 2 hours on the computer updating my hazmat and other certs ... so it was almost exactly 60 hrs on the clock.