Excessive OT: is the time drawing near?

If the company resorts to *serious* discipline re: calling off on 6th punches will you still refuse?

• Yes

Votes: 44 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Yup, I worked last Monday after calling off the Monday before (and, now, today haha). Told myself at least I'd have a very short Sat. Had less than 5 hours available, got a short, cake route and was back to the building around noon. Then I got to spend 2 hours on the computer updating my hazmat and other certs ... so it was almost exactly 60 hrs on the clock.
They can't force us here if you don't have 8 hours available

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
They can't force is here if you don't have 8 hours available

I remember your saying there's no pay actual in your neck of the woods. I need to talk with my local because the specific NMA language (I've found nothing in the Central) is in the section dealing with the 70/8 rule during peak ... and I read it as you can't be forced if you already have 62.01 hrs on the clock during peak, but not 52.01

I remember your saying there's no pay actual in your neck of the woods. I need to talk with my local because the specific NMA language (I've found nothing in the Central) is in the section dealing with the 70/8 rule during peak ... and I read it as you can't be forced if you already have 62.01 hrs on the clock during peak, but not 52.01
Anything over 60 is purely voluntary. If we want to go over 60 hours here we have to sign a list so that we are put on a 70/8

Now peak is another story. Like they throw all the rules off the window.

Whither

Scofflaw
Anything over 60 is purely voluntary. If we want to go over 60 hours here we have to sign a list so that we are put on a 70/8

Now peak is another story. Like they throw all the rules off the window.

Yup, I know, and of course I haven't signed up. But the only language I've found is Art 26.5 in the NMA. Still not sure how that language would be interpreted outside of peak, since the whole section is dealing with the mandatory use of 70/8 during peak ... and as has been discussed elsewhere, there's that ambiguous phrase "no RPCD red-circled under Art 22.4b" ... Also, it's trickier yet for us T-S drivers, since our 6th punch comes at the start of the week, and of course it's on our scheduled Sat that we'd be running out of hours

I want to leave this place by the time I’m 41 and never have to work another day in my life unless it’s something I enjoy.
Or you may be crippled by then. Trust me my brother I like the big paychecks myself but your body can only take so much.
I watched far too many drivers leave this place not on their own time not because they got fired, but because they was permanently disabled

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is getting to be ridiculous. No one anywhere should be forced to work a 6th punch, especially since we have been running peak volume non stop. If the union won't stand up for it's members then the members need to take action for themselves. EVERY driver who doesn't want to work a 6th punch can use the Federal Motor Carrier safety Administration rule 392.3. The company cannot force anyone who is ill or fatigued to work. We had drivers use it during peak this last year on Friday night, they just sent a message in saying they were too fatigued to finish, brought their trucks back, and left. No discipline could be issued. Know ALL of your rights including things that aren't in the contract and it will make this job a lot easier and less stressful.
A few random Saturdays where stuff comes up heavy. Ok I’ll give them the benefit. Months on end....they’re just using the excuse that it could dry up at anytime as an excuse to abuse the workforce.

quad decade guy

Ok. As a feeder driver 6th punches were very rare up to and when I went sleepers. Haven't been in pkg in 15 years. But then, I'm not sure of our "rights" or supplement etc. It would seem if pkg. is working 6th punches, feeders would be too. Seems. So, here we go about day after Thanksgiving etc. We are "told by mgt." one thing and then by the local something else(or really silence). So, it is in writing or it isn't. We have a contract and supplements(regions/locals). They can "force" you to work or not. If they can, you gotta work(safety/fatigue factoring in etc). My experience here locally, goes like this: me: "What are our rights on this deal?" ba: sends copy of contract page/supplement. me: Ok, my situation doesn't match that exactly. ba: silence. The beat goes on...