Excessive Overtime the new normal

Dr.Brownz

They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.

My god; get on the 9/5 list and then drive and walk slower. Not hard to figure out. Either that or don't get on the 9/5 and then just walk and drive slow, causing you to run out of hours everyday. Either way your day will become more reasonable.

Re-Raise

Yet some of us survive on PT hours.$60k/yr is more then a lot of FT jobs pay.
Currently make $36.80 x 2080 = $76,544. I also get paid 50 hours for my 8 weeks of vacation $36.80 x 80 = $2,944.

So it is actually $79,488 without working a single minute of overtime with completely free health insurance for an entire family and about $509.50 each week contributed into your pension.

SIGN ME UP! I will punch out at 5 p.m EVERY night!!!

Superteeth2478

ps ... I can retire right now, but I am sticking around just to watch the dumpster fire that my center has become...
Ah, my favorite word. Dumpster fire. That's what the preload operation down where I'm at has become. After a while (I've been there 11 years going on 12 this September) the chaos becomes entertaining. I look forward to going to work every day just to see how bad it'll be, and if it'll top the worst day ever.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.
When were the days not long? I was working til 830 2.5 yrs ago. I went on the 9.5 list. If you cant live off of 40 hrs, you are living wrong. You either want it or you dont. If you dont want it be on the 9.5 list and make them adhere. If you cant live off 40 hours suck it up while you can.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ah, my favorite word. Dumpster fire. That's what the preload operation down where I'm at has become. After a while (I've been there 11 years going on 12 this September) the chaos becomes entertaining. I look forward to going to work every day just to see how bad it'll be, and if it'll top the worst day ever.

I'm sure it's like that in most of the bigger buildings.

10 new pre-loaders start on a Monday, and 9 more start on Tuesday....

because only 1 came back. And by the end of the week, they have to start over.

I'm sure it's like that in most of the bigger buildings.

10 new pre-loaders start on a Monday, and 9 more start on Tuesday....

because only 1 came back. And by the end of the week, they have to start over.
My building would be lucky to get 1 or 2 new preloaders for a week. Our preload management team is a real treat.

Currently make $36.80 x 2080 = $76,544. I also get paid 50 hours for my 8 weeks of vacation $36.80 x 80 = $2,944.

So it is actually $79,488 without working a single minute of overtime with completely free health insurance for an entire family and about $509.50 each week contributed into your pension.

SIGN ME UP! I will punch out at 5 p.m EVERY night!!!
So you work through your vacations? Also- if you get 50 hours for 8 weeks how is it $36.80 x 80? Just wondering...

CoffeeStainedUniform

Math is off but the point is valid, $76k+/year is a living wage in most places.
My point to the OTHER guy was that being nitpicky about the math doesn't nullify your point.

Now to be nitpicky: how do option weeks get calculated? I don't know each suppliments provisions for option weeks/vacation weeks but it's immaterial since regardless of suppliments all full scale drivers will make 76k+ @ 40 hours/week

Re-Raise

My point to the OTHER guy was that being nitpicky about the math doesn't nullify your point.

Now to be nitpicky: how do option weeks get calculated? I don't know each suppliments provisions for option weeks/vacation weeks but it's immaterial since regardless of suppliments all full scale drivers will make 76k+ @ 40 hours/week
Optional week is one of the 8 weeks. It is also a 50 hour at straight time check in my supplement