Gas Prices

Nimnim

The Nim
It's clear in the charts that TOS provided that gas prices indeed went up during W. Bush dramatically. What is also clear is they went up at the end of Carters term and subsequently went down through Reagan and H.W. Bush towards the levels that were more stable for the Clinton years.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's clear in the charts that TOS provided that gas prices indeed went up during W. Bush dramatically. What is also clear is they went up at the end of Carters term and subsequently went down through Reagan and H.W. Bush towards the levels that were more stable for the Clinton years.

The difference in the Clintons years, was he was able to STOP the oil companies from rising prices any further, despite their attempts at market manipulation by threatening to release the strategic reserves.

Once he made that threat, the oil traders backed off and held the price stable for 8 years until BUSH 2 came and screwed it all up.

Pretty simple stuff.

Peace
TOS

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Lucky you.
Neither of my vehicles gets more than 20/mpg.
But then My lifestyle controls what vehicles I need.
I have never seen a Prius driving into the saltwater up to their wheel rims to launch a boat .However the local seagulls do seem to really enjoy sitting & crapping on their roofs.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Lucky you.
Neither of my vehicles gets more than 20/mpg.
But then My lifestyle controls what vehicles I need.
I have never seen a Prius driving into the saltwater up to their wheel rims to launch a boat .However the local seagulls do seem to really enjoy sitting & crapping on their roofs.

No...your lifestyle dictates what vehicles you choose to buy.

If you choose to buy a gas hog that is certainly your right, but you cant turn around and complain about the cost of filling it up. Choices have benefits as well as consequences.

FYI I also own a '96 friend-250 4x4 with only 125,000 original miles on it. Its paid for. Its got a 351 V-8 and it gets about 12MPG. If I need to haul or tow something, or if I need 4-wheel drive for the snow, I fire it up with no worry about how much it costs. Otherwise, it sits. I put less than 2500 miles a year on it, at that rate with basic maintainence it will still be running strong long past the point where I am too old to drive it anymore.

Chumpy

The worse part of this is after we fill the tank ($75 in the pickup tonight). We will all pay for the gas, because we have to.

But we won't have the extra money we used to. Won't be able to go out to dinner as much, or see that movie.

Other businesses will suffer as the oil companies get rich.
The oil companies only make about 5-6 cents per gallon. What we see is REVENUE for oil companies not the actual NET profit. Besides with all the regulation and TAXES up the ying yang on oil companies they HAVE to pass on the cost to us! Thank the government for getting in the way....

beentheredonethat

Island,

I see history escapes you. ( as usual )

When Reagan took office, oil was at 5 bucks a barrel (regulations kept it at 5 bucks for decades!), but Reagan lifted those regulations telling americans that "competition" would keep the price low. Next, he allowed the systematic purchasing of oil companies by the largest companies and "they" shut down those smaller operations. Thirdly, under Reagans term and Bush1, they shut down almost 50% of the USA's refining capacity in order to drive the price of oil per barrel higher. When Reagan left, Oil was at 12 bucks a barrel, almost three times higher, then BUSH1 took control and oil rose to 24 bucks a barrel now DOUBLE Reagans accomplishment.

When Clinton took office, oil stayed STABLE for 8 years and the price per gallon nationally averaged 1.62 for 8 years.

Then your ALL AMERICAN HERO GW BUSH took office and oil skyrocketed to 150.00 a barrel.. thats a 400% increase ISLAND.

The price per gallon rose faster than in any time in history and reached 5 bucks a gallon at its peak. 3 months before the 2008 election, oil per barrel crashed to near 30 bucks a barrel ( where it should be ) and the price per gallon dropped to near 1.75 a gallon on election day 2008.

Today, domestic production is the highest its ever been since 1949, and for the first time since 1949, we are exporting more oil than we are importing into the USA.

Our stockpiles are being sold to china and india instead of "storing" that oil and bringing prices down. But of course, YOU and MORELUCK would call that "capitalism" and you should remain silent, but instead, you complain.

The oil industry is simply RIPPING us off and unless the goverment does something about its monopoly with the traders and refiners, then they will continue to rip us off.

Peace

TOS

TOS, once again you are wrong...

Take a look at this web site. HISTORY OF CRUDE OIL PRICES

Amazing how you make things up all the time.

I'm wondering.. Maybe you just don't know when a President's term expires. Maybe you are just so biased, you can't relate to how oil prices went up during Carter's years and went down under Reagan. I don't know of many people who say.. " ahhh if we could just go back to the good old days under Jimmy Carter".

Don't you remember Jimmy Carter and the whole Iran hostage situation?

Jimmy Carter ended his presidency on Jan 19th 1980.

When Carter took office in 1977 Oil was $14 per barrel.

When Carter left office in Jan 1981 Oil was at $38 per barrel. (Again, mostly due to the issues going on at time with Iran. (Oh BTW Carter handled that great.. but that's another subject). Note, this wasn't just a blip. In all of 1980 oil was also around this 38 price.

When Reagan left office in Jan 1989, oil was at $18.50 per barrel.

Check out the web site..

Amazing.. You are wrong again... Don't you get tired of being wrong so often?

One of these days, you'll write something that is true.

Bad Gas!

TOS, once again you are wrong...

Take a look at this web site. HISTORY OF CRUDE OIL PRICES

Amazing how you make things up all the time.

I'm wondering.. Maybe you just don't know when a President's term expires. Maybe you are just so biased, you can't relate to how oil prices went up during Carter's years and went down under Reagan. I don't know of many people who say.. " ahhh if we could just go back to the good old days under Jimmy Carter".

Don't you remember Jimmy Carter and the whole Iran hostage situation?

Jimmy Carter ended his presidency on Jan 19th 1980.

When Carter took office in 1977 Oil was $14 per barrel.

When Carter left office in Jan 1981 Oil was at $38 per barrel. (Again, mostly due to the issues going on at time with Iran. (Oh BTW Carter handled that great.. but that's another subject). Note, this wasn't just a blip. In all of 1980 oil was also around this 38 price.

When Reagan left office in Jan 1989, oil was at $18.50 per barrel.

Check out the web site..

Amazing.. You are wrong again... Don't you get tired of being wrong so often?

One of these days, you'll write something that is true.

Is TOS ever right?....That hard left koolaid has blinded him in many ways!

beentheredonethat

REFUTE what i said then. You want to talk about fairy tales? Then give us your explanation for what happened to the oil industry starting in 1980.
Who is re writing history? Sounds like you FAIL to remember history.

How do you explain this?

Peace

TOS

What you fail to remember is that presidential elections took place in Nov 1980, Reagan didn't take office til 1981. I know you love to blame republicans, but at least remember when they take office before you start blaming them. So the problems in 1980 are due to Jimmy Carter. That's how I explain it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Yes tos, let's go back to the Carter era .
Mortgage rates were 15-20 %.
Opec decided who got oil .
I recall all those long lines to fill-up my Pinto .
Iran over ran our embassy & took hostages , and our military's response was a joke & resulted in our own troops dying .
You know tos, those were the good old days , so just kick back & grab yourself a cold Billy Beer .

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What you fail to remember is that presidential elections took place in Nov 1980, Reagan didn't take office til 1981. I know you love to blame republicans, but at least remember when they take office before you start blaming them. So the problems in 1980 are due to Jimmy Carter. That's how I explain it.

Then you would be wrong like the rest of the group. OIL under carter was still regulated and capped at 5 dollars a barrel. REAGAN lifted those restrictions and de regulated the oil industry in 1981. He began the systematic closure of refineries in order to drive the price of oil up in the commodies market. He did this in february 1981 one month after taking office. How are you enjoying his vision of capitalism today with respect to the price of oil?

Over the next 12 years after he took office, almost 50% of the USA's refining capacity was closed due to output levels. In 1981, refiners were operating at about 11%, and shutting them down increased production near 70% per refinery driving down supply and increasing costs.

People just dont bother to look at history, and rather, depend on talking heads for information, most of it wrong, twisted or false.

The price of oil in the charts dont lie. All you have to do is look at them. Something REAGAN fans refuse to accept.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yes tos, let's go back to the Carter era .
Mortgage rates were 15-20 %.
Opec decided who got oil .
I recall all those long lines to fill-up my Pinto .
Iran over ran our embassy & took hostages , and our military's response was a joke & resulted in our own troops dying .
You know tos, those were the good old days , so just kick back & grab yourself a cold Billy Beer .

When you say watching the troops die, are you talking about beirut? that was Reagans watch, correct?

Peace

TOS