Global warming

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If the government regulates emissions into the air & has the power to set fines against those who don't follow their rules , so if a volcano erupts who pays ?
What if volcanoes erupting are actually good for the environment? To make the regulations fair, maybe every time a volcano erupts the "government" should put money in a cookie jar for Jebus when he comes back.... which the guy on my tv asking for money says could be any day now.
http://science.time.com/2014/02/25/volcanoes-slow-climate-change/?xid=rss-topstories

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Observational data show a continued increase of hot extremes over land during the so-called global warming hiatus. This tendency is greater for the most extreme events and thus more relevant for impacts than changes in global mean temperature.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.2297/abstract

Incomplete global coverage is a potential source of bias in global temperature reconstructions if the unsampled regions are not uniformly distributed over the planet's surface. The widely used Hadley Centre–Climatic Reseach Unit Version 4 (HadCRUT4) dataset covers on average about 84% of the globe over recent decades, with the unsampled regions being concentrated at the poles and over Africa. Three existing reconstructions with near-global coverage are examined, each suggesting that HadCRUT4 is subject to bias due to its treatment of unobserved regions.

Two alternative approaches for reconstructing global temperatures are explored, one based on an optimal interpolation algorithm and the other a hybrid method incorporating additional information from the satellite temperature record. The methods are validated on the basis of their skill at reconstructing omitted sets of observations. Both methods provide results superior to excluding the unsampled regions, with the hybrid method showing particular skill around the regions where no observations are available.

Temperature trends are compared for the hybrid global temperature reconstruction and the raw HadCRUT4 data. The widely quoted trend since 1997 in the hybrid global reconstruction is two and a half times greater than the corresponding trend in the coverage-biased HadCRUT4 data. Coverage bias causes a cool bias in recent temperatures relative to the late 1990s, which increases from around 1998 to the present. Trends starting in 1997 or 1998 are particularly biased with respect to the global trend. The issue is exacerbated by the strong El Niño event of 1997–1998, which also tends to suppress trends starting during those years.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEAT_CONTENT/

Global Ocean Heat and Salt Content
Data distribution figures for temperature and salinity observations, temperature and salinity anomaly fields for depths 0-2000m, heat content and steric sea level
(thermosteric, halosteric, total). Temperature anomalies and heat content fields are detailed in World Ocean Heat Content and Thermosteric Sea Level change (0-2000 m),
1955-2010, pdf (8.1 MB). The same calculations have been extended to keep the fields current and include fields of salinity anomalies, and steric sea level components.
Explanation of differences in heat content between published work and online values is outlined in the notes (pdf, 4.2 MB).

rod

Retired 23 years
-45 to-50 below wind chills for tonight here. That's it-----I'm going to burn my tire pile if that will help warm the climate up.

roadrunner2012

Troll
I see you're still trying to validate Krauthammer.
That would be your job, and it's pretty much impossible.

It must really suck to not be able to intelligently respond to posts that destroy your closely held beliefs. Science can be like that, especially when you base it on industry shills.

rod

Retired 23 years
The Public Water Dept of a town near me has just declared a water emergency. All the water mains in town are beginning to freeze up so they have ordered everyone in town to leave their water running with a stream as wide as a pencil to keep the water moving. All water bills will be estimated off of last years usage so no body will be charged extra. People are to leave one tap in their house running non stop 24/7 until April 15th or when it is determined that the frost as went out of the ground. I've lived here for almost all of my 65 years and have never heard of this before. Tell me again about global warming.

roadrunner2012

Troll
The Public Water Dept of a town near me has just declared a water emergency. All the water mains in town are beginning to freeze up so they have ordered everyone in town to leave their water running with a stream as wide as a pencil to keep the water moving. All water bills will be estimated off of last years usage so no body will be charged extra. People are to leave one tap in their house running non stop 24/7 until April 15th or when it is determined that the frost as went out of the ground. I've lived here for almost all of my 65 years and have never heard of this before. Tell me again about global warming.

Myopic view of the overall situation, but understandable.

Maybe if this country would invest in infrastructure that wouldn't be a problem, but it's easier to steal money on an Afghan project than it is in just about any place in the US outside of Louisiana.

av8torntn

I wish it would change----its been so fricken cold for so long this winter I could use some change:happy2:

This has been a brutal winter here too. I believe it's one of the reasons so many global warming brown shirts are out in full force. I hadn't really looked at it that way until one of them posted the krauthammer article.