Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-29.jpeg

10 point

While I see your point, and I'm close to retirement myself, one thing you need to bear in mind is how much more competition we have now compared to when you were an active employee. FedEx is jut the tip of the iceberg. Look at all the local carriers getting in and the way our biggest shippers are scrambling to develop their own delivery systems. At some point, standing proud wll result in services no longer needed.
No one has anything garanteed beyond the next contract ever.
And don't forget....fedx sucks. Don't give them too much credit.

10 point

They may suck but they are stealing our lunch money.
Our average volume is 50% more than it was in 1997. Our profitability is 3.7 times what it was then. We are doing well.
Lunch money? Flippant statement. We gave them the presence they have in 1997. They didn't take it and their service still sucks compared to ours.

10 point

The day we collectively overlook the competition is the day we die as a union and a company.
We're not over looking them. We're just not as focused on taking back our churned accounts. If every driver turned in one good sales lead per month (and BD had the personnel to close the deals) we'd be surprised at the extra volume generated.
Also, I know that customers I took away from fedx say that our software and internet site is a lot easier to understand and use.

We're not over looking them. We're just not as focused on taking back our churned accounts. If every driver turned in one good sales lead per month (and BD had the personnel to close the deals) we'd be surprised at the extra volume generated.
Also, I know that customers I took away from fedx say that our software and internet site is a lot easier to understand and use.
Do you think ups wants more ground volume? I'm thinking they want logistics and medical industry growth. Next contract expect those two things to grow 100%.

10 point

Do you think ups wants more ground volume? I'm thinking they want logistics and medical industry growth. Next contract expect those two things to grow 100%.
With ground comes air and exports. Why do you think fdx wants ground volume? Its the skeleton of the body for small pkg growth.
Ground volume is a necessary evil and both corporations knows it.

With ground comes air and exports. Why do you think fdx wants ground volume? Its the skeleton of the body for small pkg growth.
Ground volume is a necessary evil and both corporations knows it.
I agree but they want the other. I'm sorry to say this to you friend but I know this. Only time will tell you if I'm right with this trend.

beentheredonethat

Our average volume is 50% more than it was in 1997. Our profitability is 3.7 times what it was then. We are doing well.
Lunch money? Flippant statement. We gave them the presence they have in 1997. They didn't take it and their service still sucks compared to ours.

Was our profit low in 2007? Yes... But that was due to the one time payment to withdraw from Central States. In 2006 our net income was 4.2 Billion dollars on 47.4 billion of revenue. In 2007 our net income was 382 Million but adjusted Net income (taking out the impact of central states and other items was 4.4 Billion). That was on 49.7 Billion in Revenue. (Taken from the 2007 ANnual report). In 2013 our Net income was 4.4 Billion dollars with adjusted net income of 4.3 Billion on 55.4Billion in revnue. This is from the 2013 annual report. Your numbers are just wrong for profit.

In 2006 our domestic package avg daily volume was 13.8 Million/day in 2007 it was 13.9 Million/day. In 2013 our avg daily volume was 14.4 million/day and in 2012 it was 13.8 million/day. So you are wrong on the volume too.

These are numbers from the annual reports.

10 point

I agree but they want the other. I'm sorry to say this to you friend but I know this. Only time will tell you if I'm right with this trend.
UPS and fdx both know that market share is inclusive of all we talked about. Shipping dept manning has been downsized or outsourced to logistics companies. The companies want someone to handle it all competitively. That saves them time and $.
If we'd forget and abandon ground volume acquisition we'd be screwed because it keeps our shining faces in their buildings every day. And that issue alone is worth millions... and always will be the glue that holds our market share more favorably.
It's been said that 45% of our volume is residential and also that MOST of our ground profitability is from the mom and pop small businesses. Less volume but more profitability from volume per piece. They don't get the discounts the big shippers do. Ground is a very necessary evil.

10 point

Was our profit low in 2007? Yes... But that was due to the one time payment to withdraw from Central States. In 2006 our net income was 4.2 Billion dollars on 47.4 billion of revenue. In 2007 our net income was 382 Million but adjusted Net income (taking out the impact of central states and other items was 4.4 Billion). That was on 49.7 Billion in Revenue. (Taken from the 2007 ANnual report). In 2013 our Net income was 4.4 Billion dollars with adjusted net income of 4.3 Billion on 55.4Billion in revnue. This is from the 2013 annual report. Your numbers are just wrong for profit.

In 2006 our domestic package avg daily volume was 13.8 Million/day in 2007 it was 13.9 Million/day. In 2013 our avg daily volume was 14.4 million/day and in 2012 it was 13.8 million/day. So you are wrong on the volume too.

These are numbers from the annual reports.
I'm talking about the profit minus freight.
The reports I saw from last year was 15-16 mil.

Packmule

What UPS doesn't want anymore is rural. Can't tell you how many ways they prove this. Gotta have a rural route to see it, but they push any excuse they can find to not service these customers. And the way they disregard miles when dispatching can only be interpreted one way; find an alternate intown address and save the miles.

The Milkman

What you say about benefits being yanked away, I can see it. Scary as he'll. and some people want to know why the "old man" don't hang it up early.
Pack I am glad you see it is scary. Oldman can't afford to retire. I retired in Jersey back in 08, now out here in AZ a right to work state...Was in touch with a lot of my old friends in 177. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, many were against the contract. The $400 monthly pension increase caused it to pass. They will now need that extra $$$ to pay for their health care. If there was ever a strike, I would be out here supporting my new State Teamsters. When I speak to them they could not believe we had friend/T porters, clerks and car washers, or any inside job friend/T. None of that here in AZ. Just shows you the differences from local to local and why the beefs members have with the union vary so much