Ground taking over

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Many kids growing up in the 70's and 80's watched what happened when factories closed and their dads discovered that being skilled in a blue-collar trade became the province of the chronically unemployed. My family was lucky, the vast majority of my friend's families were not.

Now they want to talk about a "skills gap." LMFAO!

I can't help but notice that probation officers and drug abuse counselors never seem to have an idle moment.
A lot of those jobs were outsourced/offshored to China, India, and others. Once you get out of the prosperous major cities, many rural areas are really undeveloped and poor. Usually, there was some sort of plant or mill that was the local financial/employment hub, and long since gone.

bacha29

A lot of those jobs were outsourced/offshored to China, India, and others. Once you get out of the prosperous major cities, many rural areas are really undeveloped and poor. Usually, there was some sort of plant or mill that was the local financial/employment hub, and long since gone.
No truer words. I grew up in a town of 3000 people. It was however the industrial center of the entire county. Five medium and a pair of smaller size manufacturers. But, in the span of less than a decade all were gone along with more than 1000 decent to good paying jobs .

Today when the borough council meets at the top of the agenda is to vote on which abandoned house they will tear down next.
There was 141 graduates in my boomer generation high school class. At last weeks commencement 61. Over in the next county part of my Ground route was a 300 square mile school district. At one time they had 8 elementary schools spread out over that 300 square mile district.

Today? They have 1. They simply took a wing off the junior high and made that the elementary school.

Will areas such as this recover? Now living costs here are naturally pretty low. But it will either take some type of global geopolitical event or the pressures of living in an under stress metropolitan area become such that it's just not worth remaining there.

Serf

No truer words. I grew up in a town of 3000 people. It was however the industrial center of the entire county. Five medium and a pair of smaller size manufacturers. But, in the span of less than a decade all were gone along with more than 1000 decent to good paying jobs .

Today when the borough council meets at the top of the agenda is to vote on which abandoned house they will tear down next.
There was 141 graduates in my boomer generation high school class. At last weeks commencement 61. Over in the next county part of my Ground route was a 300 square mile school district. At one time they had 8 elementary schools spread out over that 300 square mile district.

Today? They have 1. They simply took a wing off the junior high and made that the elementary school.

Will areas such as this recover? Now living costs here are naturally pretty low. But it will either take some type of global geopolitical event or the pressures of living in an under stress metropolitan area become such that it's just not worth remaining there.
I sympathize with what your saying. However, the uni party government has a plan for this area. And it ain’t for heritage American root folks.

bacha29

I sympathize with what your saying. However, the uni party government has a plan for this area. And it ain’t for heritage American root folks.
And what might that plan be? This town has waited for more than 30 years for that "plan" to come to fruition.
And BTW....Just exactly who are the so called "heritage American root folks"?

Thebrownblob

LMAO you’re seriously going to respond with “I know you are but what am I?” What are you, four?
Yeah, I didn’t say that, we can tell who you are through your posts. You are a supposed school teacher on a FedEx forum, who does not even know geography sit down and take a number and embrace your racism.