I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

USFWC‏ @USFWC 4h4 hours ago

Democracy Brewing is gearing up to open their doors in April - they are the first worker-owned brewery and pub in Boston, committed to making great beers and supporting their community. And … they’re hiring, and looking for investors! More info: https://buff.ly/2nffHF8

DUp1yBeWkAE7Ub6.jpg

rickyb

The elites in a dying culture confuse what the economist Karl Polanyi calls “real” and “fictitious” commodities. A commodity is a product manufactured for sale. The ecosystem, labor and money, therefore, are not commodities. Once these fictitious commodities are treated as real ones for exploitation and manipulation, Polanyi writes, human society devours itself. Workers become dehumanized cogs. Currency and trade are manipulated by speculators, wreaking havoc with the economy and leading to financial collapse. The natural world is turned into a toxic wasteland. The elites, as the society breaks down, retreat into protected enclaves where they have access to security and services denied to the wider population. They last longer than those outside their gates, but the tsunami of destruction they orchestrate does not spare them. - chris hedges

vantexan

a pretty wild statement by north american standards. jeremy corbyn will probably become the next leader of UK, and instead of wasting 1.5 trillion on war like america, they are going to buy 8000 homes for teh homeless.

Jeremy Corbyn announces Labour will buy every homeless person in the country a house
Out of curiosity how will the homeless pay for utilities, upkeep, and taxes on those homes? More government assistance? On the plus side it may reduce our illegal alien problem as those who arrive by plane may be flying to London instead.

rickyb

Out of curiosity how will the homeless pay for utilities, upkeep, and taxes on those homes? More government assistance? On the plus side it may reduce our illegal alien problem as those who arrive by plane may be flying to London instead.
i feel bad for the illegal aliens who make the poor choice of flying to america.

i have no idea, but if you do that math and just say a condo costs $200,000 (which is probably a high number) times 8000 its only like 1.6 billion or something.

america spends 1500 billion on war every year.

vantexan

Wow, about 65 million population and only 8000 homes needed for homeless? Using that math only about 40,000 homes needed in U.S.. But you didn't answer my question. How are the homeless folk going to take care of their new homes, pay taxes, afford the utilities?

rickyb

Wow, about 65 million population and only 8000 homes needed for homeless? Using that math only about 40,000 homes needed in U.S.. But you didn't answer my question. How are the homeless folk going to take care of their new homes, pay taxes, afford the utilities?
i did, i said i have no idea. but i think paying for homes is a better policy than paying for war.

look it up!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
haha so it turns out america wouldnt even need to build any houses for the homeless: it already has more than enough. it would just need to figure out how to efficiently put them together LOL:

Lee Camp [Redacted]‏Verified account @LeeCamp 4h4 hours ago

There are 6 empty homes for every homeless person in America. Capitalism thrives on artificial scarcity and destroys lives.
So are you saying seize houses of the people who own them?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i feel bad for the illegal aliens who make the poor choice of flying to america.

i have no idea, but if you do that math and just say a condo costs $200,000 (which is probably a high number) times 8000 its only like 1.6 billion or something.

america spends 1500 billion on war every year.
So you want to give the most worthless members of society a free house?

rickyb

So you want to give the most worthless members of society a free house?
the most worthless members of society are in wall street, government, and alot of the white collar criminals, and they are rewarded handsomely.

im sure they cause more problems than homeless

Last edited:

rickyb

Wealthy people like to have homes in multiple places. Also, many people have vacation homes.
im not sure about what they mean by "empty homes" but its very possible they are just sitting there completely unused at all. i know detroit has this problem and are giving homes away for $1.

i think your out of your mind if you think this system is THAT efficient.

rickyb

workers have really no perspective on what its like to have more freedom than capitalism because they know so little about worker coops.

vantexan

workers have really no perspective on what its like to have more freedom than capitalism because they know so little about worker coops.
They had worker coops in Russia too and couldn't feed themselves. It may work in circumstances where the members of the co-op are happy with what they get and are determined. For most people if you take the profit motive away things start falling apart. People want and strive for things. Look at China. They didn't start doing better until they allowed citizens to implement capitalist ideas. Ultimately government should be about people succeeding, not about controlling everything so that most are roughly equal. That has usually translated into most being miserable together while the elites do much better. And I'm sure you and others will say how's that any different from our system but you can't begin to compare the levels of misery between the two.