I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

1629334986168.png

rickyb

And it all went sideways from then on
this was the liberals speaking. they called it an excess of democracy. the powell memo was another one. they were both in favor of business ruling the country. and so began the counter attack in the 1970s which really went full tilt in the 1980s.

rickyb

oldngray

nowhere special
alot of the admins have continuity. havent heard too many opinions on biden compared to fascism, but one ive heard is that biden is comparable to the inept politician who failed to pass reforms that preceded hilter.
Bismarck was a feeble old man and little more than a figurehead, so there are a lot of similarities to Biden

rickyb

at this point in time when i post articles like this, i get crickets from the right wingers who say there is no alt to capitalism

Currently, there are 3,400 driver-members, many of whom plan to invest themselves.

Drivers have long called for their own worker-run service, and have been very receptive to the cooperative, says co-founder and longtime driver Ken Lewis. “Once we started to call up and tell drivers that we were doing this and sent out messages to drivers, everybody came on and we grew rather quickly,” he said.

The competitive prices that companies like Uber and Lyft once offered have surged, with a ride costing customers 53% more in June than before the pandemic, according to Rakuten Intelligence. These soaring costs could make Co-op Ride more appealing , said Leslie Zhang, a rideshare user who lives on the Lower East Side. “I think Uber and Lyft are kind of at this breaking point where they can’t offer the same dirt cheap prices they were a couple years ago,” Zhang said.

Read More: Uber, Lyft Driver Shortage Boosts Business for New York’s Taxis

But Zhang said there were other reasons she would continue to use the coop service even if it was the same price as its more entrenched rivals. “Knowing that more of the money is going directly to the drivers would sort of be that incentivizing push,” Zhang said.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
the housing market in this moderate sized town is also a capitalist and market failure
You don't know what you are talking about.

FHA loans require 3.5% down.

Let's take me as an example. I make OK money as a part time employee. But not fantastic money, at all.

All I have to do is put $8,000 down.
And the government will lend me over a quarter million dollars.

Now, I have no business doing that.
I can't afford that. And even if I could, it would be a stupid, stupid idea.
But the government will give me that money to play with.

Since everyone can just get these magical almost no interest rate highly leveraged loans, most anyone can buy without even trying.
And that means that people will start charging more.
The government is fronting them the money, so they don't care as much.

If everyone had to pay cash for houses, we'd have a REAL capitalist system going, and you'd see much more reasonable prices.

rickyb

Let's take me as an example. I make OK money as a part time employee. But not fantastic money, at all.

Since everyone can just get these magical almost no interest rate highly leveraged loans, most anyone can buy without even trying.

If everyone had to pay cash for houses, we'd have a REAL capitalist system going, and you'd see much more reasonable prices.
maybe its unfair for me to blame capitalism or maybe not since capitalism is usually in bed with govt. i dont recall ever hearing cash for home as teh solution. but its true ppl being allowed to borrow more and more money will drive up prices. 3.5% down seems low i wonder what it is up here? apparently its only 5% lol...which i guess can be alot of money when the housing market is so inflated. i used to listen to michael hudson talk about this. one of only a few famous economist to predict financial crisis.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Same with student loans

rickyb

Same with student loans
i was thinking we should pay our students to go to school like some countries do instead of under funding education and lending money driving up costs.

i was also thinking ppl call for invading different countries, i suppose afghanistan is one of them which usa just pulled out of, and instead of invasions and war, we should spend that money on immigrants wanting to flee and letting them into our countries. just the same amount that wouldve been spent on war, because one of the arguments for anti immigration is "theyre breaking the laws" of which of course they cant name what the ideal laws should be. but one of the other arguments against immigration is "our economy cant handle it", in which case you spend the money on them isntead of war.