I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

today is may 1, may day, international workers day.

invented in america, but not celebrated there ironically. should make you wonder how free we really are.

Thebrownblob

today is may 1, may day, international workers day.

invented in america, but not celebrated there ironically. should make you wonder how free we really are.
I’m in a union, I make more money than most I have more vacation than most, I have better benefits than most. I also have a nice retirement plan. Almost Every American has the opportunity to join and form a union if they want to. sounds like it works just fine, people are just unwilling to make a change.

Thebrownblob

Not sure it is quite that simple unfortunately.
It really isn’t that complicated if you have enough people that want to do it, and will stand up for their selves. The problem is most won’t. I’ve been involved in three pretty large organizing campaigns. We only won one. The other two we were pretty confident the vote would go union but apparently all the people who told us they were voting yes decided to vote no or not at all. Getting the first contract is actually more difficult. Companies love to drag their feet.

rickyb

I’m in a union, I make more money than most I have more vacation than most, I have better benefits than most. I also have a nice retirement plan. Almost Every American has the opportunity to join and form a union if they want to. sounds like it works just fine, people are just unwilling to make a change.
Ive worked multiple unions jobs and under the market i never got more paid vacation than wat they plan for workers by law in most other western countries.

I agree theres lots of propaganda and distractions that prevents workers from having union votes to begin with. so its partly their fault for not seeing thru it. in addition theres anti union policy.

rickyb

germany hasnt financialized their pensions. but here we financialized them which means we fund the pensions by deindustrializing. its bad for workers. its what marx would call a contradiction of capitalism.

Thebrownblob

germany hasnt financialized their pensions. but here we financialized them which means we fund the pensions by deindustrializing. its bad for workers. its what marx would call a contradiction of capitalism.
1651939908859.gif

rickyb

they let wall st financial terrorists drive up cost of housing so much that employers are offering onsite housing for ECG jobs in london:

"We offer our permanent staff an interest free season ticket loan for travel, a subsidised social club including gym, a library for staff to use, free independent and confidential support for all staff, large retail discounts, car leasing scheme and on-site accommodation to name a few... for more information on our staff benefits please see attached poster."

Thebrownblob

they let wall st financial terrorists drive up cost of housing so much that employers are offering onsite housing for ECG jobs in london:

"We offer our permanent staff an interest free season ticket loan for travel, a subsidised social club including gym, a library for staff to use, free independent and confidential support for all staff, large retail discounts, car leasing scheme and on-site accommodation to name a few... for more information on our staff benefits please see attached poster."

So are you marking them off your places you’re possibly moving too?

Thebrownblob

Michael Hudson is fun to read. Some of it you have to read just like fiction because this gentleman has done nothing but sit in The faculty lounge of academia and theorize. It’s like watching Star Wars it’s entertaining, but it’s not real life. If he was a great economist why is he not in charge of anything ever? Instead of making the world a better place with his fool proof economic theory, he’s apparently more worried about getting tenure at a crappy city college? Let that sink in.

rickyb

Michael Hudson is fun to read. Some of it you have to read just like fiction because this gentleman has done nothing but sit in The faculty lounge of academia and theorize. It’s like watching Star Wars it’s entertaining, but it’s not real life. If he was a great economist why is he not in charge of anything ever? Instead of making the world a better place with his fool proof economic theory, he’s apparently more worried about getting tenure at a crappy city college? Let that sink in.
he worked on wall st, consulted for US govt, currently consults for china govt

rickyb

So are you marking them off your places you’re possibly moving too?
i know UK has major problems with ugly history of neoliberalism and thatcherism and their current problems, but i would definitely give it a go.

i would eventually try and get out of london and move somewhere affordable with a ski hill