I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

It's ceremonial. The British are big on keeping the monarchy and its ceremonies alive. I 100% agree it's crazy to give the royal family the kind of money they do. But the king in no way runs the country.
Im not sure about the influence. money is power. the president doesnt run america either. but he has some power.

vantexan

Im not sure about the influence. money is power. the president doesnt run america either. but he has some power.
The royal family is very wealthy. But there are wealthier people. Does Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos run the U.S.? They have influence. They don't run the show.

rickyb

It's a tradition that they cling to. A lot of Brits hate the monarchy but the majority want to hold on to the tradition.
but it goes against your theory of efficiency

a portion of their economy is monarchy. its 2022. according to your theory, it should all be capitalist.

vantexan

but it goes against your theory of efficiency

a portion of their economy is monarchy. its 2022. according to your theory, it should all be capitalist.
A portion of the economy isn't "monarchy." It's a capitalist country.

You do realize that Canada is also a constitutional monarchy and King Charles is the head of state in Canada? Does Charles run your economy?

rickyb

A portion of the economy isn't "monarchy." It's a capitalist country.

You do realize that Canada is also a constitutional monarchy and King Charles is the head of state in Canada? Does Charles run your economy?
people with money run our country. so yes in a sense he does.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
theres not much distinction.

economic democracy, political democracy. if you dont have one, its hard to have the other.

Just because you have two distinct systems that coexist does not mean they are the same thing, or serve the same purpose. This is why language is important. You can't properly understand something if the definitions of the words become diffused to the point of lacking any meaning.

rickyb

Just because you have two distinct systems that coexist does not mean they are the same thing, or serve the same purpose. This is why language is important. You can't properly understand something if the definitions of the words become diffused to the point of lacking any meaning.
i think its good to know UK is likely a weak political democracy and a mixed economy which is part capitalist dictatorship, part state intervention, part monarchy

i dont think richard wolff likes to draw distinctions between politics and the economy. they are mixed because power in the economy partly depends on power in politics. the people who control the economy shapes people's minds.

Last edited:

rickyb

talk about long term problems with capitalism

capitalism will end this century they argue.

its on youtube

Economic Update: The Terminal Crises of Global Capitalism​