IBT MASTER PROPOSAL

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Um...
Because we want UPS to treat their employees like human beings.
Part timers have families and mortgages etc.
Long time part timers should have a shot at a full time gig to make a living wage.

Nice try trying to create a split in solidarity.
Typical management tactic.

We won't forget the 70 hour rule crap this year.
Management will have not find a sympathetic ear with Teamsters.
let me put it differently, when you put the language into just a flat number, it forces bad decisions

i’m not against FT jobs, i think we should have a lot more of them, i can think of lots of PT management positions that would be done better by an hourly

i’m just against the “10k is the number” thing

A

Article 3

let me put it differently, when you put the language into just a flat number, it forces bad decisions

i’m not against FT jobs, i think we should have a lot more of them, i can think of lots of PT management positions that would be done better by an hourly

Then make it " up to and including 20,000".

worldwide

No driverless vehicles is probably the most important sentence in the proposal imo. If they can't keep that in there it's a deal breaker for me.

No innovation means no company. No company means no jobs. When UPS competitors change and adapt to current, and future, business conditions but UPS stays stagnant, that's the beginning of the end. Tough to collect dues when no one gets paid.

This is equivalent to the Pony Express in the 19th century demanding that all deliveries be done by horse instead of by rail. How about all the telephone operators that lost their jobs plugging in wires when the phone system went computerized? Should those jobs have stayed in place?

Unions have their place in the ecosystem, but why shoot themselves in the foot? It might be wiser to go with the flow of technology and appropriately unionize where the new jobs are as technology advances. Workers skills may have to change and job responsibilities may also have to change moving forward. Life changes and technologies advance.

brownelf

I'll vote yes just on the air horns. You guys obviously don't know how embarrassing it is when you drive by a kid on the road doing the arm pump and you just smile at them.
Air horns will be real popular in residential areas when we're making deliveries after 9pm.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No innovation means no company. No company means no jobs. When UPS competitors change and adapt to current, and future, business conditions but UPS stays stagnant, that's the beginning of the end. Tough to collect dues when no one gets paid.

This is equivalent to the Pony Express in the 19th century demanding that all deliveries be done by horse instead of by rail. How about all the telephone operators that lost their jobs plugging in wires when the phone system went computerized? Should those jobs have stayed in place?

Unions have their place in the ecosystem, but why shoot themselves in the foot? It might be wiser to go with the flow of technology and appropriately unionize where the new jobs are as technology advances. Workers skills may have to change and job responsibilities may also have to change moving forward. Life changes and technologies advance.
Why is it you think UPS needs driverless vehicles in order to innovate?

OrionsBitch

Not...
It would take a little getting used to but
Not sure why it'd be a pain in the ass.
Only a pain if you can't pick the time. Like your trying to finish up a business section and take lunch at 1 instead of noon. But someone said you can pick so it doesn't really matter to me anymore.i always take my lunch and breaks

worldwide

Why is it you think UPS needs driverless vehicles in order to innovate?

It's not so much they need them to innovate but it is the changing landscape of the logistics industry that is forcing UPS and all other transportation/logistics companies to look for ways to provide more efficient services to meet the needs of customers. To go back to the Pony Express example, they did not need to innovate - the horses worked just fine. But along came new technology and it changed the rules of the game. There was now a faster and more efficient way to get things from point A to point B so that is what customers starting asking for and using. The same thing is happening in logistics - drones and driverless vehicles are changing the rules of the game. Customers are not expressly asking for delivery by drone or driverless vehicle but if they can get their stuff delivered faster and more conveniently based on their needs, they will choose that option. UPS can adapt or they can keep on doing the same thing and watch other companies innovate, meet customer demands and pass them by.

Which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

Where I am there is a lot of Pt'ers double shifting because they cannot get new hires to stay. The retention percentage has to be very low. A good reason to add more in the coming years. Our hub is adding a day sort so more positions will have to be filled. I also believe to my core that the union does not audit the numbers like they are supposed to and a good many positions go unfilled or just disappear.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's not so much they need them to innovate but it is the changing landscape of the logistics industry that is forcing UPS and all other transportation/logistics companies to look for ways to provide more efficient services to meet the needs of customers. To go back to the Pony Express example, they did not need to innovate - the horses worked just fine. But along came new technology and it changed the rules of the game. There was now a faster and more efficient way to get things from point A to point B so that is what customers starting asking for and using. The same thing is happening in logistics - drones and driverless vehicles are changing the rules of the game. Customers are not expressly asking for delivery by drone or driverless vehicle but if they can get their stuff delivered faster and more conveniently based on their needs, they will choose that option. UPS can adapt or they can keep on doing the same thing and watch other companies innovate, meet customer demands and pass them by.

Which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?
Your example is terrible.
Driverless vehicles are not faster and they will not get packages to customers sooner. Try again.

worldwide

Your example is terrible.
Driverless vehicles are not faster and they will not get packages to customers sooner. Try again.

Can you predict the future? Driverless vehicles and drones are still in their infancy and they will improve in their capabilities. Virtually every logistics & transportation company is looking at drones and driverless vehicles and investing a lot of money to determine how they can be used to enhance customer service, reduce cost and enhance profitability. Every one of these companies is wrong?

Again, which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Can you predict the future? Driverless vehicles and drones are still in their infancy and they will improve in their capabilities. Virtually every logistics & transportation company is looking at drones and driverless vehicles and investing a lot of money to determine how they can be used to enhance customer service, reduce cost and enhance profitability. Every one of these companies is wrong?

Again, which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?
Ah now you're starting to get it. You started off pretending it was about service for the customer, now you're admitting it's about reducing costs to pay more to stock holders and less to workers. This is not about innovation.

Last edited:

worldwide

Ah now you're starting to get it. You started off pretending it was about service for the customer, now you're admitting it's about reducing costs to pay more to stock holders and less to workers. This is not about innovation.

Not pretending about anything - It's about all of that - that's Business 101. No business is interested introducing new technology just for technology's sake or new services & technology that increase costs - they would not stay in business. They introduce new services and technology that do all of the above - enhance customer service, reduce cost, increase share holder value, again - Business 101. UPS workers and customers are also UPS stockholders should they make the choice to own UPS shares and I'm sure they are interested in seeing their investment grow. Are you against shareowners of companies and holders in 401(k)'s seeing their investments grow and wanting the stock of companies they own innovate and grow?

It's very telling that you've failed to address what I've asked. The only conclusion one can make is that you prefer UPS to stay status quo and not look at these new technologies and how they could help while letting the competition take advantage of what they can offer.

Last try - which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
So it's better to not get pension credit for those years?

I'd rather be racking up years towards retirement than making more money.

Give up $90,000 for an extra year of full time pension credit?

Some of our TCD's go full time in less than 6 months.
TCD has also been a good tool for adding full-time jobs here. If a TCD has 156 reports they must add a full time job.
Our full timers also like that it gives management more flexibility to give them a day off while a TCD runs the route. I know that is not what a TCD is for but it is what happens.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Last try - which direction is better for UPS to follow, in your opinion? Keep on doing the same thing and don't change or find a way to adapt to changing business rules and conditions? What are your alternatives if drones and driverless vehicles are not looked at and pursued?
Are you suggesting UPS will go out of business without driverless vehicles? That's ludicrous.