IBT MASTER PROPOSAL

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Are you suggesting UPS will go out of business without driverless vehicles? That's ludicrous.

I agree with all of your comments on driverless. But, I don't get the big deal about it. Ups should just buy a train company. One driver for 100 trailers. The train our way. Is a non stop a to b. All other trains are stopped to accommodate it's transit. Nothing would be faster if they did this nation wide. Even the driverless trucks need to stop for a RR crossing. Driverless is as of now a PR stunt.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
How do you get to be “on call” ?

Don’t recall that in the contract

Could be mistaken

I went full time in May and dont have my own route yet so I guess you could consider me on call. They schedule me as on call every monday and then they call me off at 7am the other days im scheduled if they dont need me. Right now i usually work 3 days a week.

brown_trousers

If technology never advances and humanity stagnates for the next thousand years. Then yes i agree that pursuing r&d into driverless vehicles is pointless.

However, given that technology does advance and evolve over the decades and centuries.... you guys cant honestly think that the shipping industry isnt heading that way.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If technology never advances and humanity stagnates for the next thousand years. Then yes i agree that pursuing r&d into driverless vehicles is pointless.

However, given that technology does advance and evolve over the decades and centuries.... you guys cant honestly think that the shipping industry isnt heading that way.

But we need to be careful in how we proceed. We need to have a plan in place for how an economy will operate without wage earners. As things are now, if total automation happened tomorrow, only the owners of the means of production would have any access to economic participation. That would lead to massive social upheaval on a scale never before seen.

The way we are approaching automation now, and the pace of automation, is certainly causing growing pains, but we should have time to work out the kinks. If we do it right, complete automation could be the single greatest achievement of humanity, but we'll probably find some way to screw it up. I'm not so afraid of an AI uprising as I am of how billions of people will choose to spend their time when they no longer need to work.

35years

Gravy route
I went full time in May and dont have my own route yet so I guess you could consider me on call. They schedule me as on call every monday and then they call me off at 7am the other days im scheduled if they dont need me. Right now i usually work 3 days a week.
Why don't you bump into the building?
You are scheduled to work, not scheduled as "on call".

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree with all of your comments on driverless. But, I don't get the big deal about it. Ups should just buy a train company. One driver for 100 trailers. The train our way. Is a non stop a to b. All other trains are stopped to accommodate it's transit. Nothing would be faster if they did this nation wide. Even the driverless trucks need to stop for a RR crossing. Driverless is as of now a PR stunt.
We put a ton of loads on rail here. Probably dozens of jobs that do nothing but go back and forth to railyards.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I'm sure it's inevitable, but it's about precedent. If the company wants to negotiate something down the road in return for eliminating positions we'll be in a better place to protect the affected employees.

For the foreseeable future, they'll make plenty of money without driverless vehicles.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Why don't you bump into the building?
You are scheduled to work, not scheduled as "on call".
If you mean bump into preload... preload sucks. Lol If you mean bump into sort well its usually only the 3.5 hour and at 11 per hour with me making a 90 mile round trip its just not worth it.i clear 30 bucks and a third of it goes in the gas tank so ill lose 20 bucks vs just taking off work

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you mean bump into preload... preload sucks. Lol If you mean bump into sort well its usually only the 3.5 hour and at 11 per hour with me making a 90 mile round trip its just not worth it.i clear 30 bucks and a third of it goes in the gas tank so ill lose 20 bucks vs just taking off work
You need us to hold your hand? Your guaranteed 8 if you just show up on time. You can bump into the building for 8 as well, and displace two part timers.

Delivery!!!

When I bumped into the preload a few years back I made the full-time inside payrate, not the part-time payrate. May be something worth looking into for you.

F

Frankie's Friend

Dont answer the phone and show up just before your scheduled start time.We get paid for 6 hrs if they send us home.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
You need us to hold your hand? Your guaranteed 8 if you just show up on time. You can bump into the building for 8 as well, and displace two part timers.
I get what your saying but I think our building is different. I can get my 8 by working both preload and sort. During the driver workday we have zero workers at our building just a 4 hour preload at 5am and a 3.5 hour sort at 6pm.

danlin

Are center manager is gone before 4pm, he leaves a sup to deal with the late night crap and he is at his house eating supper by 5. I would love to see his ass in his office at 8, I would definitely be smiling and asking how’s it going boss. Let’s just say people would be done a little earlier then they are now.
This would cut down on my snooping. I almost on a daily basis go through the center manager,s desk and read all the warning letters all the terminations etc. Also read his calendar to see who was getting an OJS ride electronically or physically. Have read alot of funny chit on a mangers and dispatch sups desk in the past. Above all though this helped me cover my ASS! And if those imbeciles are not gonna lock the door.....

Brisket

This would cut down on my snooping. I almost on a daily basis go through the center manager,s desk and read all the warning letters all the terminations etc. Also read his calendar to see who was getting an OJS ride electronically or physically. Have read alot of funny chit on a mangers and dispatch sups desk in the past. Above all though this helped me cover my ASS! And if those imbeciles are not gonna lock the door.....

Uh oh. Wouldn’t want to be you getting caught snooping.

Unless it’s total sarcasm.

Just saying.

Faceplanted

I get what your saying but I think our building is different. I can get my 8 by working both preload and sort. During the driver workday we have zero workers at our building just a 4 hour preload at 5am and a 3.5 hour sort at 6pm.
they can give u a broom for the other 4hr. You can work twilight/midnight to get your 8 at my building if you are a layed off driver. sounds like sowebody is a bit scared to rock the boat.

Go listen to aaliyah... specifically rock the boat. It might help.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
they can give u a broom for the other 4hr. You can work twilight/midnight to get your 8 at my building if you are a layed off driver. sounds like sowebody is a bit scared to rock the boat.

Go listen to aaliyah... specifically rock the boat. It might help.
Nope not scared. I haven't been here long but I come from a union family, and im a steward. I was part time preload for a few years so not fully familiar with all my "driving" rights. I worked almost everday up till now so this is the first time ive had a 2 punch week. Called the senior steward this morning and ill be bumping in tomorrow.