I'm not hearing much about global warming now days.

El Correcto

god is dead
Clathrate gun hypothesis - Wikipedia

I don’t know anyone who refutes climate change. I know people who will argue humans have nothing to do with it and that government subsidies to green energy and taxing corporations for emissions will not stop it. They have some valid points, but to deny and cover up climate change like what was done in the past is ridiculously short sighted.

People will joke about there still being snow or what ever. I don’t think they realize climate change theory is all about the exponential heating of the world. The tempatures slowly rising due to greenhouse gases beginning to melt permafrost which releases more green house gases.. etc etc.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Clathrate gun hypothesis - Wikipedia

I don’t know anyone who refutes climate change. I know people who will argue humans have nothing to do with it and that government subsidies to green energy and taxing corporations for emissions will not stop it. They have some valid points, but to deny and cover up climate change like what was done in the past is ridiculously short sighted.

People will joke about there still being snow or what ever. I don’t think they realize climate change theory is all about the exponential heating of the world. The tempatures slowly rising due to greenhouse gases beginning to melt permafrost which releases more green house gases.. etc etc.
Exponential is hardly a description of a projected rise in global sea warming of 1/2° C over the next century.
Global warming is a fact but the conclusions drawn are what's really in question.

El Correcto

god is dead
Exponential is hardly a description of a projected rise in global sea warming of 1/2° C over the next century.
Global warming is a fact but the conclusions drawn are what's really in question.
I think it’s accurate description. Especially if that 1-2 doubles to 2-4 the century after that. You can’t be short sighted when it comes to the only planet that harbors complex life forms to our knowledge. This is a problem we need to address not just as a country but as a species.

upschuck

I think it’s accurate description. Especially if that 1-2 doubles to 2-4 the century after that. You can’t be short sighted when it comes to the only planet that harbors complex life forms to our knowledge. This is a problem we need to address not just as a country but as a species.
What is ridiculously short sighted is that this has happened a few times before humans even were here. It is cyclical, nothing to get all worked up about.

El Correcto

god is dead
What is ridiculously short sighted is that this has happened a few times before humans even were here. It is cyclical, nothing to get all worked up about.
Yes the earth has gone through “cyclical” changes that have been known as extinction events for a lot of species. We should use our brains for something useful and try to prevent these things from happening.

upschuck

Yes the earth has gone through “cyclical” changes that have been known as extinction events for a lot of species. We should use our brains for something useful and try to prevent these things from happening.
Knock yourself out. We can do very little to effect the earth in this way.

dudebro

.25 of a degree in 130 years? Could someone blow up the graph some more to make it a little more impressive. Maybe remove those pesky little number things on the side. :)

It's .75 of a degree Celsius, and the fact that both of you missed that might indicate that scientific data is kinda lost on you. There's no sign it's stopping there. While a change from 54 to 55.5 degrees friend isn't significant to an individual, on a global scale as an average, it's significant.

So, let me understand these arguments. "there's no global warming because I saw a snowball." Then, when you point out that's weather, not climate, the argument becomes, oh, well, 2 degrees makes no difference to the WEATHER. No, it doesn't, on one day, for people who mostly live indoors. But it matters to climate over time in a million ways.

dudebro

You might not think you'd be suffering in shirt sleeves in North Dakota in January, but what kind of world do you think it will be if food just becomes 5x more expensive than it is now because there is less arable land?

There have been major climate changes since the dawn of man, and there is genetic evidence we were once down to 40-1000 people. Just because a thermometer might read 70 degrees one day doesn't mean it will happen in a world we enjoy.

wayfair

swollen member
It's..... actually pretty easy. I can explain it like you're 5. See, the temperature goes up and down like a yo-yo. So, when the yo-yo is up by the hand, it's really hot out and people sweat. When the yo-yo is near the end of the string, BRRRR! It's cold, and lakes might freeze and your friends can make snowmen.

Now, there's this guy, and his name is CLIMATE, see, and he's holding the yo-yo. And ever since they started making factories and cars, while the yo-yo still goes up and down, CLIMATE seems to be walking up a flight of steps that wasn't there before.

View attachment 173761

Does CLIMATE have a bomb???

BrownArmy

News flash we're all going to die. Focus on pollution, clean air, water, soil. I think everyone is on board with that.

Everyone except the Republicans.

Look it up, they're rolling back any protections for air/water/soil etc.

Thanks for voting.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The only thing I am sure of is that no one in this forum, including me, has any real knowledge and expertise with which cogent decisions could be made.

It will be fine

The only thing I am sure of is that no one in this forum, including me, has any real knowledge and expertise with which cogent decisions could be made.
This brings me back to what's the harm in acting under the understanding that's it's happening? Conserve energy, drive an efficient car, insulate your house, consume a plant based diet, support renewable energy production, etc. The worst case is you've made the world a little better for nothing.