I'm not hearing much about global warming now days.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
So you'll believe the climate change research, some of which was falsely manufactured, but won't accept negative marijuana research? Sounds kind of hypocritical.
I don't recall ever stating I believed in any research regarding climate change. That debate is above my pay grade.
As far as marijuana usage, I believe it should be left up to the individual and personal responsibility whether or not the reward is greater than the risk. Government has no business dictating what an individual puts into his/her body.

vantexan

I don't recall ever stating I believed in any research regarding climate change. That debate is above my pay grade.
As far as marijuana usage, I believe it should be left up to the individual and personal responsibility whether or not the reward is greater than the risk. Government has no business dictating what an individual puts into his/her body.
The government has a duty to protect the overall society from it's worst elements. There is no life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness without responsibility.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
The government has a duty to protect the overall society from it's worst elements. There is no life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness without responsibility.
And who is this government and what gives them the right to make the rules and regulations as they choose? Do they not represent and work for us?
The majority in this country approves legalization of marijuana so government should make it happen.

vantexan

And who is this government and what gives them the right to make the rules and regulations as they choose? Do they not represent and work for us?
The majority in this country approves legalization of marijuana so government should make it happen.
Then the majority should go through the process and vote it in. We pick representatives to make rules. THEY make the rules, keeping in mind their constituents wishes. What constituents in Tennessee want may be far apart from what Californians want. It's up to each state to decide and until you get a majority of States deciding in favor of legalization it's doubtful the Federal government is going to acquiesce to the wishes of the few States that have.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Really? You believe our representatives keep in mind our wishes? They work for the lobbyists and the large donors.

A majority of states already allow medical marijuana. That doesn't seem to faze the Feds as of yet.

vantexan

Really? You believe our representatives keep in mind our wishes? They work for the lobbyists and the large donors.

A majority of states already allow medical marijuana. That doesn't seem to faze the Feds as of yet.
They, the majority, aren't approving recreational use yet, which seems to be your concern. There are a handful of States that have completely legalized pot, and even they have restrictions. It's not the free for all you seem to want.

vantexan

If they don't keep us in mind and bring home the pork they don't get reelected. That's reality.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Then the majority should go through the process and vote it in. We pick representatives to make rules. THEY make the rules, keeping in mind their constituents wishes. What constituents in Tennessee want may be far apart from what Californians want. It's up to each state to decide and until you get a majority of States deciding in favor of legalization it's doubtful the Federal government is going to acquiesce to the wishes of the few States that have.
29 states.

oldngray

nowhere special
29 states have legalized the sale of marijuana which is counter to US Central Government laws.
hqdefault.jpg

El Correcto

god is dead
Care to discuss it or do you only have personal insults?
I tried discussing it with you. You won’t accept that people have a natural right to put what ever they want into their body. You think prohibition and big large federal warfare on their own people stifling this right is the answer.

vantexan

I tried discussing it with you. You won’t accept that people have a natural right to put what ever they want into their body. You think prohibition and big large federal warfare on their own people stifling this right is the answer.
OK, look at it this way. People putting whatever they want into their body results in a huge drain on society in both costs and lost productivity. That includes various cancers caused by tobacco, health hazards of alcohol including lost lives from car wrecks, etc, as well as the many lost lives from drugs. It isn't just about what the individual wants to do to themselves but also the harm caused to themselves, to others, to society in general. Don't forget all the crime committed to get the money to obtain drugs, which will still go on prohibition or not. You make individual liberty paramount, but individual responsibility should be as important, and drug abusers aren't being responsible, so it's up to the government to try to mitigate the damage done to society. It isn't prohibition that's the bad guy, it's the abuse of substances that shouldn't be touched and their affect on the abuser and everyone else.

El Correcto

god is dead
OK, look at it this way. People putting whatever they want into their body results in a huge drain on society in both costs and lost productivity. That includes various cancers caused by tobacco, health hazards of alcohol including lost lives from car wrecks, etc, as well as the many lost lives from drugs. It isn't just about what the individual wants to do to themselves but also the harm caused to themselves, to others, to society in general. Don't forget all the crime committed to get the money to obtain drugs, which will still go on prohibition or not. You make individual liberty paramount, but individual responsibility should be as important, and drug abusers aren't being responsible, so it's up to the government to try to mitigate the damage done to society. It isn't prohibition that's the bad guy, it's the abuse of substances that shouldn't be touched and their affect on the abuser and everyone else.
Let’s not forget about all the crime caused by prohibition. Let’s not forget about the destabilizing effects we have on other countries with strong cartels and terror networks. Let’s not forget that personal responsibility is already in play with alcohol, cigarettes and in some states marijuana/salvia(which is a very powerful hallucigen). Let’s not forget about the drain on society caused by prohibition with flooded prisons, lack of education and deaths from violent black market.