Immigration

BrownArmy

Illegals need to go back over the fence because theres too many laborers in America. When a company can replace any laborer with 100 more the labor wages go down. We need a damn near labor shortage so companies are forced to compete with each other for employees.

Or we shift the punishment where it belongs, employers who hire non-citizens.

Haven’t heard a peep about that from this administration, I wonder why.

PalletDockShifter

It actually happened in Nashville with UPS not long ago. We started out at 8.50 an hour at our UPS hub until FedEX across the street started out employees at 15 an hour. Our UPS hub was forced to eventually raise the starting wage to 14 an hour just to keep employees in the door. The democrats answer is to flud in illegal immigrants to work for the 8.50. The republican answer is to force companies to compete. I like the republican answer more.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Theres more job openings for lower paying jobs and American people wont work for the slave wages. Thats capitalism 101. If you cant get employees you have to entice them to work for your company. Meaning increased wages and benefits.
So let me get this straight.
You guys want to switch to a merit based immigration system in which only highly qualified workers can come in..... So that American citizens can work the low paying jobs.... And best case scenario, we end up pricing ourselves out of industries that require low labor costs to be profitable.

Wouldn't a better solution be to invest in education for American citizens, and allow tax paying documented low wage workers in on work visas?

Or, or, or..... We could just keep scapegoating immigrants for all our problems because it's easier.

BrownArmy

It actually happened in Nashville with UPS not long ago. We started out at 8.50 an hour at our UPS hub until FedEX across the street started out employees at 15 an hour. Our UPS hub was forced to eventually raise the starting wage to 14 an hour just to keep employees in the door. The democrats answer is to flud in illegal immigrants to work for the 8.50. The republican answer is to force companies to compete. I like the republican answer more.

The Republican answer seems to be ‘look the other way’ and punish the immigrants instead of drying up the source.

PalletDockShifter

The Republican answer seems to be ‘look the other way’ and punish the immigrants instead of drying up the source.
Im not disagreeing that we should go after those that hire them. We have tried that before. They then took over the construction industry who pays under the table. Some of the illegals have even started their own construction businesses.

BrownArmy

Im not disagreeing that we should go after those that hire them. We have tried that before. They then took over the construction industry who pays under the table. Some of the illegals have even started their own construction businesses.

So we can mobilize multiple government organizations to get on the immigration ‘crisis’, and build tent cities on military bases, but we can’t stop employers from hiring non-citizens?

K

PalletDockShifter

So let me get this straight.
You guys want to switch to a merit based immigration system in which only highly qualified workers can come in..... So that American citizens can work the low paying jobs.... And best case scenario, we end up pricing ourselves out of industries that require low labor costs to be profitable.

Wouldn't a better solution be to invest in education for American citizens, and allow tax paying documented low wage workers in on work visas?

Or, or, or..... We could just keep scapegoating immigrants for all our problems because it's easier.

No you're translating what i said. I have explained how we have too many laborers which causes the wages to go down. But even as the wages are now, startig out at 10 an hour puts you very high on the income scale when you compare us to the rest of the world. Which is why the illegal immigrants come here in the first place. There was a time in America where you could support a whole family on a labor wage. I would like to try to go back to that and that requires shrinking the labor force. Shrinking the labor force can be done in many ways. One which is college like you mentioned.

The problem is the college system isnt perfect either. Colleges are now handing out worthless degrees and people leaving college are sometimes forced to join the labor force. Thats another can of worms though.

I dont think we are scape goating with the illegal immigrants I just think shrinking the labor force is a very good idea. If you do your research Obama and Bill Clinton also campaigned on ending illegal immigration. They cited the same reasons I did. However they used the clever strategy to make it a race thing and try to get votes by giving them citizenship.

PalletDockShifter

So we can mobilize multiple government organizations to get on the immigration ‘crisis’, and build tent cities on military bases, but we can’t stop employers from hiring non-citizens?

K

No immigration laws have changed under Trump yet. He did sign an executive order to help keep families together. Everything you see happening on the TV has been happening for decades. Those people at the camps are released back into the US and given a court date which less than 3% show up to. Trump is just enforcing the laws that were put there by earlier presidents. And ICE has been there for a while too. Everything you see on TV with the camps was happening under Obama. Trump if anyhing has made it better for your cause by keeping families together.

BrownArmy

No immigration laws have changed under Trump yet. He did sign an executive order to help keep families together. Everything you see happening on the TV has been happening for decades. Those people at the camps are released back into the US and given a court date which less than 3% show up to. Trump is just enforcing the laws that were put there by earlier presidents. And ICE has been there for a while too. Everything you see on TV with the camps was happening under Obama. Trump if anyhing has made it better by keeping families together.

Almost everything you just said is wrong.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I have explained how we have too many laborers which causes the wages to go down.
And I explained to you we have more jobs than workers so you're wrong.
But even as the wages are now, startig out at 10 an hour puts you very high on the income scale when you compare us to the rest of the world.
Yup, at current labor costs, we're already priced out of these low wage industries "compared to the rest of the world". You want to make it worse?
There was a time in America where you could support a whole family on a labor wage. I would like to try to go back to that and that requires shrinking the labor force.
Stop livin' in the past, man.

PalletDockShifter

And I explained to you we have more jobs than workers so you're wrong.

Yup, at current labor costs, we're already priced out of these low wage industries "compared to the rest of the world". You want to make it worse?

Stop livin' in the past, man.

You said we have a "job shortage" and ask me if I want that and the short answer is yes. I want companies to compete its good for employees

Also when you say that raising the labor wage would result in costing the employers more money thats why we have cut taxes. Until trump we had the highest tax rate in the world. Some companies had to pay a 39% federal tax and then a state tax on top. On top of that you had ridiculous regulations so companies decided they could make more money by going overseas. The problem for the companies then is it cost them tons of money to ship it back into the US. Now they have to pay an extra tax to bring it back to the states which is why businesses are coming back now!

They will be competitive with a fair tax rate and they will be forced to hire American workers and compete for employees with other companies. Everyone wins.