Immigration

Mutineer

You already gave up when you don't focus on demand.

Exactly right! Vigorous education, prevention, rehabilitation. Repeat.

I have a fair amount of experience with druggies. To all who read this that can say the same, then I offer my condolences.

Druggies are going to get their drugs. There's simply no way around it. The sooner society accepts this as certainly as death or taxes, the better. Instead of having drugs illegal, simply "decriminalize" them. Having drug laws the same or similar to laws regarding alcohol and tobacco would be a good start.

I can plainly remember a time when it seemed like nearly everybody smoked cigarettes. At least in my observation, that number seems to have dropped dramatically.

Why haven't the same tactics that have been used for the past thirty years to demonize cigarettes, been used on drugs?

MAKAVELI

Exactly right! Vigorous education, prevention, rehabilitation. Repeat.

I have a fair amount of experience with druggies. To all who read this that can say the same, then I offer my condolences.

Druggies are going to get their drugs. There's simply no way around it. The sooner society accepts this as certainly as death or taxes, the better. Instead of having drugs illegal, simply "decriminalize" them. Having drug laws the same or similar to laws regarding alcohol and tobacco would be a good start.

I can plainly remember a time when it seemed like nearly everybody smoked cigarettes. At least in my observation, that number seems to have dropped dramatically.

Why haven't the same tactics that have been used for the past thirty years to demonize cigarettes, been used on drugs?
The reason for not decriminalization of drugs is simple. $. So many industries and jobs depend on the criminalization of Drug abuse and a major part of the economy.

BrownArmy

i guess we give up and let demand get higher . View attachment 200934

Get back to me about the ‘war’ on drugs.

It’s a failure, we should have learned our lesson from the alcohol Prohibition, didn’t work.

It’s like ‘abstinence only’ as sex-ed, please.

Druggies gonna drug, drinkers gonna drink, and teens are gonna screw, same as death and taxes.

If you dig a little deeper, there’s a lot of people making a lot of money on the ‘war’ on drugs, just like there’s a lot of people making money on real war.

It’s not good policy, but the monied-interests make the policy, not the people with policies that might work.

The war on drugs, just like the war against abortion, just the war against immigrants, is just another ‘system of control’.

Portugal legalized ALL drugs, and the experiment is working...remove the financial component from the illicit drug trade, get druggies into therapy and rehabilitation, win-win.

Mutineer

The reason for not decriminalization of drugs is simple. $. So many industries and jobs depend on the criminalization of Drug abuse and a major part of the economy

Yeah. I figured somebody would tell me that. And I wish I could tell you without doubt and with honest sincerity that I think you're wrong.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Prisons are full of drug offenders, yet drug abuse and drug trafficking is still at all time highs. Here's a little cue to the ignorant. When demand remains high, supply will follow.
At 63 years old, I look back on all the idiotic programs that the US Government has engaged in and the war on drugs is the most idiotic by far.

At least some of the state governments and most of the Medical profession have taken another tact on adult drug usage based on empirical evidence rather than relying on enforcement and politicians.

I can’t think of two less qualified entities on which to rely.

MAKAVELI

At 63 years old, I look back on all the idiotic programs that the US Government has engaged in and the war on drugs is the most idiotic by far.

At least some of the state governments and most of the Medical profession have taken another tact on adult drug usage based on empirical evidence rather than relying on enforcement and politicians.

Unfortunately most states and local governments profit from drug and alcohol addiction as well.

It will be fine

Unfortunately most states and local governments profit from drug and alcohol addiction as well.
Not really, that’s the problem. There are monied interests that influence policy that profit. The government doesn’t. We waste countless dollars on incarceration and border protection and lost productivity to the drug war. Trying to patrol the border to control drugs is akin to lighting money on fire. Incarcerating a generation of young men for drug offenses costs the economy their productivity for their entire life. It’s all waste in the name of law and order that ultimately provides no order and creates a revenue stream for crime.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Not really, that’s the problem. There are monied interests that influence policy that profit. The government doesn’t. We waste countless dollars on incarceration and border protection and lost productivity to the drug war. Trying to patrol the border to control drugs is akin to lighting money on fire. Incarcerating a generation of young men for drug offenses costs the economy their productivity for their entire life. It’s all waste in the name of law and order that ultimately provides no order and creates a revenue stream for crime.
B2EF9FFE-FF9E-4FB1-B80B-B97DF5FBC7D5.gif

MAKAVELI

I agree on waste. But the fact remains most jails, prisons, police, and other related jobs are tied to the criminalization of drugs. I would even include industries outside of law enforcement, ie. music and film.

It will be fine

I agree on waste. But the fact remains most jails, prisons, police, and other related jobs are tied to the criminalization of drugs. I would even include industries outside of law enforcement, ie. music and film.
My point is those interests, private prisons, police unions etc. are the ones benefiting. The federal, state and local governments that pay them are not profiting. The governments should represent the taxpayer and spend our money productively on solutions that are effective. It all comes back to corruption dressed up in law and order.

MAKAVELI

My point is those interests, private prisons, police unions etc. are the ones benefiting. The federal, state and local governments that pay them are not profiting. The governments should represent the taxpayer and spend our money productively on solutions that are effective. It all comes back to corruption dressed up in law and order.
Those police Unions and prison employees are taxpayers. State and local governments also receive federal dollars. I've yet too see police and fire in California make concessions in regards to retirement packages vs other public employees.

vantexan

All of you Monday morning quarterbacks. You do realize they have to make an effort at stopping the flow of drugs before you have the luxury to sit back and smugly denounce all of their efforts? Recently a shipment of fentanyl was intercepted that was enough to kill everyone in the U.S.. Do you actually want the government to stop trying to keep that kind of substance out?

vantexan

A wall is neither cheap or effective. It’s a campaign chant for rubes. Local policing is far more effective when cities have sanctuary policies in place. I prefer victims being able to come forward and testify without fear of deportation. I prefer immigrants being willing to cooperate with investigations in their communities. When someone whines about sanctuary policies I know they are clueless on what that actually means and how they actually make our cities safer.
Sanctuary city policies in San Francisco kept an illegal immigrant who'd already been deported numerous times from being handed over to ICE. He went on to kill Kate Steinle. That's the kind of garbage I'm referring to. As for a wall being expensive, how many trillions have been spent in the war on poverty? Do you think the poverty rate will get better letting in millions of uneducated, nonEnglish speaking migrants? The money we spend on them annually is much more than the one time cost of the wall. It's not about caring for the poor, it's about future Democrat votes. Period.