Israel

oldngray

nowhere special
According to a leaked document from Hezbollah intelligence, 879 died in pager explosions, out of which 291 senior commanders. 509 were blinded, and 1735 “injured in their reproductive organs”, out of which 906 “total damage” and 613 “permanent function damage”

Thebrownblob

While it’s hard to disagree that a lot of these were bad guys, I still wonder if this is an appropriate way to prosecute a war. And if it is, it seems like we are entering a new phase of war. Don’t forget a lot of our electronics are made by people who don’t like us….. and I’m sure they would say good as well.

PT Car Washer

While it’s hard to disagree that a lot of these were bad guys, I still wonder if this is an appropriate way to prosecute a war. And if it is, it seems like we are entering a new phase of war. Don’t forget a lot of our electronics are made by people who don’t like us….. and I’m sure they would say good as well.
Was October 7th an appropriate way to prosecute a war? Or 9/11?

Thebrownblob

Was October 7th an appropriate way to prosecute a war? Or 9/11?
Exactly, If we become that which we hate, how are we better? Should we fly hijacked civilian planes into our enemies buildings? Should we have a sneak attack on civilian citizens of our enemies? I would say no. That’s not appropriate way to wage war for civilized society.

It’s a fine line. I’m aware, but becoming terrorists to combat terrorists seems counterintuitive.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Exactly, If we become that which we hate, how are we better? Should we fly hijacked civilian planes into our enemies buildings? Should we have a sneak attack on civilian citizens of our enemies? I would say no. That’s not appropriate way to wage war for civilized society.

It’s a fine line. I’m aware, but becoming terrorists to combat terrorists seems counterintuitive.
But are booby traps such as were used prohibited by the Geneva Convention?

Thebrownblob

But are booby traps such as were used prohibited by the Geneva Convention?
Idk. We were told most of these people were hezbolla leaders and maybe they were. We have no way to know for sure. But the manner in which these bombs were used there were many civilians in close proximity at shopping centers and just normal every day events of life.

I don’t have much pity for these people, but… Have we turned the page in this conflict and decided that regular citizens are also combatants on the battlefield? Just collateral damage? Many are cheering it, but do you think they would cheer the same if it was our innocent loved ones as well? Seems the seed has been planted.

Box Ox

Well, at least the explosives were only put into pagers addressed to Hezbollah terrorists.

This was probably the most accurate attack on military targets ever and a good way to spare civilian lives relative to the other more traditional methods if Israeli is planning on further operations in southern Lebanon.

Thebrownblob

Well, at least the explosives were only put into pagers addressed to Hezbollah terrorists.

This was probably the most accurate attack on military targets ever and a good way to spare civilian lives relative to the other more traditional methods if Israeli is planning on further operations in southern Lebanon.
I would agree with with you, except it did kill kids and mamed many women and children as well.

Thebrownblob

War isn’t surgery.

Civilians of a country being run by terrorists should expect casualties, justified or not.
OK. If those are the parameters, are Israelis really now terrorist as well? Does terrorizing the terrorist make you a terrorist? And is October 7 now justified if it happens again?

And if one of our enemies feels, we are terrorist. Does that mean they can do as they please to our citizens justifiably?

I’m not trying to be snarky, but it appears all of us could be on a battlefield at any moment.

vantexan

OK. If those are the parameters, are Israelis really now terrorist as well? Does terrorizing the terrorist make you a terrorist? And is October 7 now justified if it happens again?

And if one of our enemies feels, we are terrorist. Does that mean they can do as they please to our citizens justifiably?

I’m not trying to be snarky, but it appears all of us could be on a battlefield at any moment.
"War is hell"... General William Tecumseh Sherman

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."....
British author Gerald Seymour

Box Ox

We should also keep in mind that very specifically targeting combatants/terrorists in response to their intentional targeting of your civilians isn't the same thing just because those combatants/terrorists probably will be feeling some terror as a result of that response.

Thebrownblob

We should also keep in mind that very specifically targeting combatants/terrorists in response to their intentional targeting of your civilians isn't the same thing just because those combatants/terrorists probably will be feeling some terror as a result of that response.
“(International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Manual on the Law of Non-International Armed Conflict, para. 1.1.2.). If, however, it is known that the pagers are likely to be in the possession of persons who cannot be classed as fighters, for example because the individuals in question have exclusively diplomatic, political or administrative roles for Hezbollah and have no combat-related function, such persons should be categorised as civilians, and it would not be lawful to target them.”

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1727063115797.png

Box Ox

“(International Institute of Humanitarian Law, Manual on the Law of Non-International Armed Conflict, para. 1.1.2.). If, however, it is known that the pagers are likely to be in the possession of persons who cannot be classed as fighters, for example because the individuals in question have exclusively diplomatic, political or administrative roles for Hezbollah and have no combat-related function, such persons should be categorised as civilians, and it would not be lawful to target them.”

I see. Guess the Israelis shouldn't have rigged those Hezbollah pagers to explode after all if they couldn't be sure they'd only go to the combat Hezbollah guys and not the relatively innocent "civilian" Hezbollah guys who only handle the diplomatic, political and administrative parts of their terrorist activities.