It’s about to get real here in 705!

babboo25

Banned
Maybe a better question would be to ask who allowed drivers to have a lot to lose, and preloaders (and my part time brethren) have nothing?
I’m not really sure what you’re expecting from part time work, I worked preload for several years, worked 2 jobs til my turn was up to drive. Gotta be realistic, can’t do part time work for full time pay.

Shep92

Unless UPS is going to give me a $6.50 raise (hired at $8.50, just got past $15) AND the $200-$300 bonus, well you know my vote. Show's how much nearly 6 years of blood, sweat and tears mean to the company.

Shep92

Unless UPS is going to give me a $6.50 raise (hired at $8.50, just got past $15) AND the $200-$300 bonus, well you know my vote. Show's how much nearly 6 years of blood, sweat and tears mean to the company.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Gotta be realistic, can’t do part time work for full time pay.

So if UPS made a package car driver that was identical to RPCDs, but just worked under 8 hours a day.
You are saying that they deserve 11 dollars an hour?

Your logic stems from hours worked, rather than labour being performed.

I am not arguing that I should make the same as a driver. They have more jobs they must do. They have to be customer service reps, they have to drive, and they have to have proficiency in technology, as well as being well versed in the geography of their route. But all that doesn't mean that I deserve so close to minimum wage.

I help the company. The company is doing well. I should share (to some small degree) in their success.

babboo25

Banned
So if UPS made a package car driver that was identical to RPCDs, but just worked under 8 hours a day.
You are saying that they deserve 11 dollars an hour?

Your logic stems from hours worked, rather than labour being performed.

I am not arguing that I should make the same as a driver. They have more jobs they must do. They have to be customer service reps, they have to drive, and they have to have proficiency in technology, as well as being well versed in the geography of their route. But all that doesn't mean that I deserve so close to minimum wage.

I help the company. The company is doing well. I should share (to some small degree) in their success.
But you don’t work anywhere near 8 hours correct? UPS didn’t come knocking on your door asking you to work right? Sadly we chose this job but I know I’ll never get rich doing it. You can’t expect to pay the bills working 3.5 to 5 hours a day.

WorkingAsDirected

I’m not really sure what you’re expecting from part time work, I worked preload for several years, worked 2 jobs til my turn was up to drive. Gotta be realistic, can’t do part time work for full time pay.

So you're saying that it is ok for the company to pay new hires MORE than a union employee with 10+ years? This is what part timers are fighting for.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
But you don’t work anywhere near 8 hours correct? UPS didn’t come knocking on your door asking you to work right? Sadly we chose this job but I know I’ll never get rich doing it. You can’t expect to pay the bills working 3.5 to 5 hours a day.

Last week I worked 52 hours. I driver help at every opportunity, and am the first to volunteer for any extra work.

Unfortunately, this week is not the case. I probably won't go over 40, because my center is lighter.

Tell me why I'm worth less than 1/3 of a driver per hour. Tell me what it is that they do that is worth 24 dollars and change more than me.

Last week I worked 52 hours. I driver help at every opportunity, and am the first to volunteer for any extra work.

Unfortunately, this week is not the case. I probably won't go over 40, because my center is lighter.

Tell me why I'm worth less than 1/3 of a driver per hour. Tell me what it is that they do that is worth 24 dollars and change more than me.
Honestly, they are hqhavi a hard time in many places finding drivers that can actually do the job.

babboo25

Banned

Why is your local allowing helpers in October?

WorkingAsDirected

Nope I didn’t say that.

It seems that your attitude is that only full timers deserve a decent wage. I am not saying that part timers should be on the same pay rate as a full timer but they deserve much more than what they make now. If the company can afford paying $24 an hour for a new hires why shouldn't every union PT be upset they can't make the same?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It seems that your attitude is that only full timers deserve a decent wage. I am not saying that part timers should be on the same pay rate as a full timer but they deserve much more than what they make now. If the company can afford paying $24 an hour for a new hires why shouldn't every union PT be upset they can't make the same?

Because they are disposable

Slug Life

When do we eat?
Please strike. So UPS corporate can see that we don't need you drivers with the technology we have. Put maps in the diads and hire someone who appreciates making as much money as you people do. Your not satisfied with almost $40/hr?????? Go choke on your strike!
Yea and your wife isn’t satisfied with your two inches either buddy b

BuckyBadger

at least for me, this has nothing to do with pay. UPS knows they have to pay more for part time help, and they already are in many cases. It was brain dead of the union to try and get 15 an hour, UPS will have to pay this to get and/or keep people. The job market will set the rate UPS has to pay. Doesn't bother me, I'll be driving for peak at this point.

This has way more to do with 22.4 jobs, pension problems, healthcare costs, etc. Don't make it about wages for part timers. We'll get ours, we are so shorthanded now, I'm sure a bonus is coming soon.

We have driver helpers starting in October. Don't know why this is news.

People who say part timers are expendable are the same ones who complain about their load. Your load could be better if the pay was better, for a number of reasons.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It was brain dead of the union to try and get 15 an hour, UPS will have to pay this to get and/or keep people.

How much would you like to bet?
As long as UPS can keep finding new bodies to hire, (not just ones that stay), we aren't going to be getting a nationwide raise.

They. Don't. Care.
Doesn't matter if people quit. Just send in the new people.

Maybe if you're in a huge hub, you will. But UPS gets to cherry pick, and that means that most of us will be left behind.

BuckyBadger

How much would you like to bet?
As long as UPS can keep finding new bodies to hire, (not just ones that stay), we aren't going to be getting a nationwide raise.

They. Don't. Care.
Doesn't matter if people quit. Just send in the new people.

Maybe if you're in a huge hub, you will. But UPS gets to cherry pick, and that means that most of us will be left behind.
no, they don't care, but they've run out of suckers around here. This peak is going to be hilarious. Work as directed. Once we start hitting 40k packages a morning, there won't be a square inch of space left.

I'm not in a huge hub. There's just way too many businesses around offering better pay and the same benefits. The economy is too good right now (theoretically)

babboo25

Banned
at least for me, this has nothing to do with pay. UPS knows they have to pay more for part time help, and they already are in many cases. It was brain dead of the union to try and get 15 an hour, UPS will have to pay this to get and/or keep people. The job market will set the rate UPS has to pay. Doesn't bother me, I'll be driving for peak at this point.

This has way more to do with 22.4 jobs, pension problems, healthcare costs, etc. Don't make it about wages for part timers. We'll get ours, we are so shorthanded now, I'm sure a bonus is coming soon.

We have driver helpers starting in October. Don't know why this is news.

People who say part timers are expendable are the same ones who complain about their load. Your load could be better if the pay was better, for a number of reasons.
Our local doesn’t allow helpers during October, they should be adding more full time drivers. Not sure what healthcare costs you’re referencing, our insurance is great. You can’t expect UPS to toss more $ out the window into these mismanaged pensions.

BuckyBadger

Our local doesn’t allow helpers during October, they should be adding more full time drivers. Not sure what healthcare costs you’re referencing, our insurance is great. You can’t expect UPS to toss more $ out the window into these mismanaged pensions.
we literally have nobody that wants to go driving. Any drivers for peak will have to be hired from the outside. Some guys are willing to driver help.

Well, I guess that's why you're ok with the status quo and I'm not. I've heard nothing but complaints about the healthcare...and the pension thing, who wants to stick it out five years if it's gonna tank? I notice you didn't address the 22.4, which I bet gets pushed through too if we don't vote no.

babboo25

Banned
we literally have nobody that wants to go driving. Any drivers for peak will have to be hired from the outside. Some guys are willing to driver help.

Well, I guess that's why you're ok with the status quo and I'm not. I've heard nothing but complaints about the healthcare...and the pension thing, who wants to stick it out five years if it's gonna tank? I notice you didn't address the 22.4, which I bet gets pushed through too if we don't vote no.
UPS isn’t budging on the 22.4s in 710s negotiations, it’s happening sadly. I have 3 kids and we pay $10 copay per visit, healthcare is outstanding, you seem to be misinformed on that issue at least. Pension system is broke, nobody disagrees with that statement. 705/710 will not be striking, Hoffa isn’t allowing it, I’ll take all bets on that.