Let the merge begin...

Flaco50

I saw it another thread can't remember which one. Apparently 6 stations nationwide are gonna merge buildings this year. As leases expire buildings will be shared.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I think this has been in the planning for a while. Look how FedEx incorporated the purple and orange logo on all company brands now. Look how their nascar logo on the hood now just says FedEx. It no longer says Ground, or Express, Freight on the hood and hasn't for a couple of years already. Look how FedEx is running "last mile optimization" this year. I think they are trying to blur the lines of the company. The last mile optimization is the real concern as to where the company is headed. Are they going to become like UPS and eventually have all air and ground packages delivered on the same truck? If so, will their contractor model used for Ground become the standard for everything? In other words, will Express stations go away and Ground take everything and everyone will be a contract employee driving a truck that just says "FedEx" but no mention of Express or Ground on the truck? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

AB831

Are they going to become like UPS and eventually have all air and ground packages delivered on the same truck? If so, will their contractor model used for Ground become the standard for everything? In other words, will Express stations go away and Ground take everything and everyone will be a contract employee driving a truck that just says "FedEx" but no mention of Express or Ground on the truck? I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Well you know they are NOT going to give hefty raises to all Ground drivers. Yes, I think the plan is to eventually run a system identical to that of UPS, however, instead of making $38 an hour with benefits, you’ll be making wages comparable to fast food workers with zero benefits. Work like a UPS driver, get paid like a handler. Fat Freddy did vow to be the lowest cost carrier, didn’t he?

Aquaman

Well you know they are NOT going to give hefty raises to all Ground drivers. Yes, I think the plan is to eventually run a system identical to that of UPS, however, instead of making $38 an hour with benefits, you’ll be making wages comparable to fast food workers with zero benefits. Work like a UPS driver, get paid like a handler. Fat Freddy did vow to be the lowest cost carrier, didn’t he?
That’s the main problem with them going full contractor mode. Nobody worth their salt will work there. Why anybody currently drives for Ground is beyond me. You couldn’t find a worse delivery job in the entire country if you tried. They can be the cheapest delivery service if they want. And they’ll get the worst employees because of it.

It will be fine

That’s the main problem with them going full contractor mode. Nobody worth their salt will work there. Why anybody currently drives for Ground is beyond me. You couldn’t find a worse delivery job in the entire country if you tried. They can be the cheapest delivery service if they want. And they’ll get the worst employees because of it.
I guess you’ve never heard of Amazon and their delivery contractors. It’s a much worse job than Ground.

bacha29

Same job without the depression of seeing express drivers everywhere making more money with benefits & PTO.
Pay no mind to what FXG contractors tell you when it comes to benefits and PTO. They'll tell you that they provide medical insurance benefits but what they won't tell you is who pays the premiums or what the coverage levels are or what the deductibles and co-payments are PTO? Again they won't tell you how much PTO or what levels of pay . As for weekly pay pay many contractor employed drivers are on so called "salary" which means that it doesn't matter if the job takes 7 hours to do or 13 hours to do it all pays the same. If that isn't bad enough many pay by the completed stop which falls in somewhere between trendy sharecropping and politically correct slavery.

You know the old saying....."the devil's in the details".....Never more true than when it comes to Fedex Ground contracting.

vantexan

The Merge: One day a year where Ground drivers get to hunt down Express drivers so that there are openings at Express they can fill. The Merge, coming to a station near you. Void where prohibited.

AB831

I can’t fathom it either. You can make comparable money doing Door Dash or Uber. Only with them, you get to make your own schedule instead of living to work like you would for Ground.

cosis

whenever i asked the ground driver on my route how he was doing he always would say "another day at the beach". Now when I ask he says "another day in hell"

vantexan

I can’t fathom it either. You can make comparable money doing Door Dash or Uber. Only with them, you get to make your own schedule instead of living to work like you would for Ground.
I signed up for Door Dash but then read a bunch of discouraging reviews on Indeed. They get a lot of turnover because so many people are signed up to do it that it's hard to make enough to be worthwhile. Seems they're always advertising on Craigslist.

AB831

I signed up for Door Dash but then read a bunch of discouraging reviews on Indeed. They get a lot of turnover because so many people are signed up to do it that it's hard to make enough to be worthwhile. Seems they're always advertising on Craigslist.
Sounds like an exact description of FredEx’s future.

zeev

Fast Freddy’s next magic trick will to merge Ground and Express . Tell Express they have nothing to worry about, tell Ground this is for their own good while reducing their compensation, than put them together in the same building so they can see what BS it is. Let the circus begin.

AB831

Fast Freddy’s next magic trick will to merge Ground and Express . Tell Express they have nothing to worry about, tell Ground this is for their own good while reducing their compensation, than put them together in the same building so they can see what BS it is. Let the circus begin.
I'm amazed by the amount of people who think that a company changing its long-standing business model is a sign of prosperity. This company is :censored2:ed and so are the people who don't get on a lifeboat while the hull is still above the water.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm amazed by the amount of people who think that a company changing its long-standing business model is a sign of prosperity. This company is :censored2:ed and so are the people who don't get on a lifeboat while the hull is still above the water.

The business model has changed plenty of times since 1973. Where have you been??