Mask Detection, and Temperature Scanners Coming to UPS???

Nah
You think it's dumb to know if your fellow co-worker is sick? If the people you talk to at PCM are sick wouldn't you want to know. Or would you just complain that you got sick after and say UPS did nothing to prevent it?

Since when is it UPS' job to prevent it? Before COVID, the official un-official policy on sick workers was "get your butt to work and sweat it out."

Now you're entertaining the idea of temperature checks for everybody, every day, for the rest of eternity? Give me a break.

Local25BadSanta

Maybe we wouldn't have so much of a problem with infectious diseases if companies didn't harass their employees when they call off sick. They caused the problem and they want the solution to be having the right ascertain our health information. I won't even go into the mask issues.

Let's say their machine says you have a fever, and they tell you to go home. Do you have the right to challenge the machine's information? Should you have to? Let's say you naturally run at a higher than normal temperature? Do you have to prove that? Why is it their business? I could go on and on about the privacy concerns that even this tiny bit of required divulgance brings up. I find the fact that people are so readily willing to accept even this level of invasion to be quite troubling.
Good points! I appreciate the constructive conversation. #1 Would we have the right to challenge it? I guess that would be up to the Union to defend us on. So I see that would giving the company an avenue to send us home. So that's a negative. #2 Would we have to prove we have a normally high temperature? Yeah maybe we would. Why is this their business? Well its their company "business" I think they have the right to know if sick people are coming into work that could infect others and hurt their business.

What are the privacy concerns? I'd like to go on about them.
On a scale what is the level of invasion?

542thruNthru

@Local25BadSanta
Vairma_Teamster-Logo-V2_FINAL2-1.png

:)

GenericUsername

It's not in the contract that you have to go through security, but I bet you still do that. Don't you?
You mean the cop car that sits about 30 yards away from our fence? I literally walk in the building without anyone near the gate. I could carry out a TV and the only people that would question what the hell I'm doing is the people at the end of the last belt.

Local25BadSanta

You mean the cop car that sits about 30 yards away from our fence? I literally walk in the building without anyone near the gate. I could carry out a TV and the only people that would question what the hell I'm doing is the people at the end of the last belt.
Every facility I've been to, theres a guard shack and guard. For the New England Area, what you're describing would be very rare. I'm not sure about other areas.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Good points! I appreciate the constructive conversation. #1 Would we have the right to challenge it? I guess that would be up to the Union to defend us on. So I see that would giving the company an avenue to send us home. So that's a negative. #2 Would we have to prove we have a normally high temperature? Yeah maybe we would. Why is this their business? Well its their company "business" I think they have the right to know if sick people are coming into work that could infect others and hurt their business.

What are the privacy concerns? I'd like to go on about them.
On a scale what is the level of invasion?

I don't think temperature taking is necessarily high on any scale of privacy invasion, but the fact that it registers is good enough for me to be against it. It's private information that companies have no legitimate claim to, and once it is out of your control, it can be used to justify taking action against you that may not be in your interest. It also puts you in a position of having to either accept the company's decision, or divulge more private information to defend yourself.

Having an elevated temperature does not necessarily mean you have a communicable disease. This could give a company the right to arbitrarily tell you to go home without proof that you are, in fact, a threat to work place safety.

Furthermore, where does it end? Will this continue after the pandemic and companies will force people to go home if they have some sniffles? I can personally attest to the fact that my sinuses have been far more congested since being required to wear a mask at work. Almost makes it seem like I have a good portion of symptoms of covid. Will allergies be a reason to send someone home unless they prove they have allergies? Will a seasonal cold? The flu? What about someone whose immune system isn't responding properly, has and is contagious with covid, and gets a pass because no fever? Asymptomatic spread? Hell, seems to me like no one should ever work again because it is always possible they could be spreading something.

The whole thing is absurd and completely unsustainable. There will always be risks involved in working around others. Trying to eliminate all risk us a fool's errand, and if it becomes the number one focus, then all industry will have to be shut down.

Again, companies harassing people about taking sick time is a real problem. We should start by focusing on that instead of going straight to invading people's privacy.

BrownStains

It’s a waste . Why do we need to take everybody’s temp when they walk into the door. ? UPS is not our doctor . If people are sick then send them home or tell them not to come in , it’s as simple as that.

Local25BadSanta

Maybe we wouldn't have so much of a problem with infectious diseases if companies didn't harass their employees when they call off sick. They caused the problem and they want the solution to be having the right ascertain our health information. I won't even go into the mask issues.

Let's say their machine says you have a fever, and they tell you to go home. Do you have the right to challenge the machine's information? Should you have to? Let's say you naturally run at a higher than normal temperature? Do you have to prove that? Why is it their business? I could go on and on about the privacy concerns that even this tiny bit of required divulgance brings up. I find the fact that people are so readily willing to accept even this level of invasion to be quite troubling.
I love that you changed your post so it deleted my responses.
#1 Do you have the right to challenge the machine's information? We challenge everything the company throws at us.
#2 Should you have to? ......... Do you want to? If you feel you are being targeted you should.
#3 Let's say you naturally run at a higher than normal temperature? lets say you do
#4 Do you have to prove that? Probably, unless you like going home.
If you have stainless steel implants are you required to prove it when you go through a metal detector?
#5 Why is it their business? Because it's their company "business" why wouldn't they want to know who is coming to work sick and infecting others.
I'd like you to go on about the privacy concerns. What are they?
What's the level of invasion and where does it sit, and on what scale?

Local25BadSanta

UPS would never spend the money on this technology , they simply don’t care if we are sick. They don’t want a high temperature being recorded then the route would have to be covered last minute.
🧔✊
I agree UPS is to cheap to implement this technology.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You think it's dumb to know if your fellow co-worker is sick? If the people you talk to at PCM are sick wouldn't you want to know. Or would you just complain that you got sick after and say UPS did nothing to prevent it?
Generally do not care one bit either way. Getting sick is a risk I take every day I wake up. A car accident is a risk I take every day.

Others should not be inconvenienced because you have fears. Those fears are your personal problem.