Mask Detection, and Temperature Scanners Coming to UPS???

Local25BadSanta

enerally do not care one bit either way. Getting sick is a risk I take every day I wake up. A car accident is a risk I take every day.

Others should not be inconvenienced because you have fears. Those fears are your personal problem.
Have you ever been told you're a bad judge of character, take things the wrong way, or bad at reading people? I haven't really expressed a fear or concern. If you read my original post I clearly just point out the fact that I think the technology is cool, and that it would be nice if the company did more to protect us from getting sick. I have no skin in the game either way, and just want to hear what other think. I don't know why we can't be adults and just talk about it.:rolleyes:

542thruNthru

Have you ever been told you're a bad judge of character, take things the wrong way, or bad at reading people? I haven't really expressed a fear or concern. If you read my original post I clearly just point out the fact that I think the technology is cool, and that it would be nice if the company did more to protect us from getting sick. I have no skin in the game either way, and just want to hear what other think. I don't know why we can't be adults and just talk about it.:rolleyes:
His wife tells him everyday. :)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't think temperature taking is necessarily high on any scale of privacy invasion, but the fact that it registers is good enough for me to be against it. It's private information that companies have no legitimate claim to, and once it is out of your control, it can be used to justify taking action against you that may not be in your interest. It also puts you in a position of having to either accept the company's decision, or divulge more private information to defend yourself.

Having an elevated temperature does not necessarily mean you have a communicable disease. This could give a company the right to arbitrarily tell you to go home without proof that you are, in fact, a threat to work place safety.

Furthermore, where does it end? Will this continue after the pandemic and companies will force people to go home if they have some sniffles? I can personally attest to the fact that my sinuses have been far more congested since being required to wear a mask at work. Almost makes it seem like I have a good portion of symptoms of covid. Will allergies be a reason to send someone home unless they prove they have allergies? Will a seasonal cold? The flu? What about someone whose immune system isn't responding properly, has and is contagious with covid, and gets a pass because no fever? Asymptomatic spread? Hell, seems to me like no one should ever work again because it is always possible they could be spreading something.

The whole thing is absurd and completely unsustainable. There will always be risks involved in working around others. Trying to eliminate all risk us a fool's errand, and if it becomes the number one focus, then all industry will have to be shut down.

Again, companies harassing people about taking sick time is a real problem. We should start by focusing on that instead of going straight to invading people's privacy.
Our official attendance stance here has went from you might get a verbal warning if you called in once a month. To verbal warning and progressive discipline starting with the first call in.

We had a guy who has been here 10 years and never called in. Called in once. Verbal warning.

Brownslave688

If you have no fear or concern than why do you think the company should protect you from getting sick?

It’s clear you’re afraid of Covid. That’s cool. Go stand in the corner until the PCM is over and leave everyone else alone.

Brownslave688

His wife tells him everyday. :)
217A7871-F700-4B92-88E1-674DA3A45E6E.gif

Local25BadSanta

I don't think temperature taking is necessarily high on any scale of privacy invasion, but the fact that it registers is good enough for me to be against it. It's private information that companies have no legitimate claim to, and once it is out of your control, it can be used to justify taking action against you that may not be in your interest. It also puts you in a position of having to either accept the company's decision, or divulge more private information to defend yourself.

Having an elevated temperature does not necessarily mean you have a communicable disease. This could give a company the right to arbitrarily tell you to go home without proof that you are, in fact, a threat to work place safety.

Furthermore, where does it end? Will this continue after the pandemic and companies will force people to go home if they have some sniffles? I can personally attest to the fact that my sinuses have been far more congested since being required to wear a mask at work. Almost makes it seem like I have a good portion of symptoms of covid. Will allergies be a reason to send someone home unless they prove they have allergies? Will a seasonal cold? The flu? What about someone whose immune system isn't responding properly, has and is contagious with covid, and gets a pass because no fever? Asymptomatic spread? Hell, seems to me like no one should ever work again because it is always possible they could be spreading something.

The whole thing is absurd and completely unsustainable. There will always be risks involved in working around others. Trying to eliminate all risk us a fool's errand, and if it becomes the number one focus, then all industry will have to be shut down.

Again, companies harassing people about taking sick time is a real problem. We should start by focusing on that instead of going straight to invading people's privacy.
I agree it's not on a high level invasion. I agree with you, that having to provide personal medical information is violation of privacy rights. I don't think a doctors note is a violation of privacy though "So and So run's abnormally hot ..... Signed doctor Blah blah" if we're out more than 3/5 days sick we need a doctors note, and they did it with the beard variance's before they got rid of the no beard policy. I agree they could absolutely use it as a staffing tool. I also think that it's their right to know if your going around infecting other's though.

"Having an elevated temperature does not necessarily mean you have a communicable disease. This could give a company the right to arbitrarily tell you to go home without proof that you are, in fact, a threat to work place safety." This is a redundant statement and I think is answered in the paragraph above.

Where does it end? Will this continue after the pandemic and companies will force people to go home if they have some sniffles? After the pandemic?? Well I guess if you believe the pandemic is real, we'd have to assume this one ends and another one doesn't come after it. I don't know, what would be next. There is always something new they're trying to force on us. Everything you mentioned 100% great point, how would you differentiate between them

Absolutely everyday in life is a risk. I don't think trying to eliminate it is a fools errand though. It's good business.... hell its just a good life practice. Risk vs Reward I do hear your concerns and I am mostly in agreement with you.

I agree with you, and I firmly stand against the company when it comes to harassing people and abusing them. I've fought many of fights with them. I'm even fought them so hard that they changed a national policy. If you care to see DM me. Again I have no skin in the game one side or the other I just want to bring it up. I appreciate the constructive conversation.

Last edited:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We’ve had a computer that scans your face to get your temp for months. Absolutely nobody uses it.

Local25BadSanta

We have a few nurses outside the gate that scan your temp and ask you if you're NO for all the questions.
They make the Package car drivers at my building come in through the back door every morning, give them a fresh bottle of hand sanitizer, a new mask, and check their temperature every day. Feeders we just walk right into the yard to our tractor.