New Video! The Great Lunch Debate!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My supplement states very clearly that we "are entitled to and required" to take this meal period.

If it doesn't fit your wants and perceived needs on this route, then bid another one, rather than attempt to create an exception that violates the contract.

One size does fit all, but you are the one who needs to find a spot to fit in, not the other way around.

It reminds me of the old adage "Be careful of what you wish for.... you might just get it."

I know of a Local in the Central where a pkg driver grieved being forced 30 minutes for lunch, arguing the

contract didn't specify the length/duration of the lunch period. The company agreed. They said as long as

he took a lunch (even if it was just a minute) they would consider that fulfilling the contractual requirement.

I'm sure everyone can imagine what happened next.

Yep.... they started cutting routes and loaded everybody up, and the drivers came in at about the same time

with having done more work. The driver thought he was so smart.... he had beat the company (and Union).

No :censored2:.... you just screwed all your fellow Teamsters.

AKCoverMan

My supplement states very clearly that we "are entitled to and required" to take this meal period.

If it doesn't fit your wants and perceived needs on this route, then bid another one, rather than attempt to create an exception that violates the contract.

One size does fit all, but you are the one who needs to find a spot to fit in, not the other way around.
Yes, but MY supplement gives me the right to an unpaid lunch, not the requirement to take one I don’t want. I still end up with a paid day between 9 and 9.5…if I’m lucky, Lunch on my route will do nothing but take five hours a week out of my life. I get it, in other situations on different routes it’s a tool to be used. It’s one of the reasons I bid the route I bid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yes, but MY supplement gives me the right to an unpaid lunch, not the requirement to take one I don’t want.

Your Rider does say this.

a. "A driver may request to work through their lunch period and not be required to take lunch at the end of the day, upon approval of the Employer. Drivers requesting this option shall notify their supervisor at the start of the workday."

ups18local959fulltimeparttimeriders.pdf

So everyday you tell management.... or is it just assumed, that you aren't going to take a lunch ?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

a. "A driver may request to work through their lunch period and not be required to take lunch at the end of the day, upon approval of the Employer. Drivers requesting this option shall notify their supervisor at the start of the workday."

So everyday you tell management.... or is it just assumed, that you aren't going to take a lunch ?
I honestly cannot believe the resistance to taking a lunch. If the company said they COULD NOT take a lunch, they’d bitch and moan over that. SMH

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my building if you don't take it they edit your time card and steal an hour from you. I'm guessing one of the lunch skippers finally got the balls to write a grievance because now we're getting messages reminding driver's to "put a lunch in their board".
How do you file a grievance when lunch is required?

Time to shut the diad down at lunch.

Coldworld

I honestly cannot believe the resistance to taking a lunch. If the company said they COULD NOT take a lunch, they’d bitch and moan over that. SMH
We are truly our own worst enemy…seen it over and over. There’s strength in unity and numbers and many times we’re so divided it’s amazing the locals can even function sometimes.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We are truly our own worst enemy…seen it over and over. There’s strength in unity and numbers and many times we’re so divided it’s amazing the locals can even function sometimes.
The division has only gotten worse. I think the company promotes it, by remaining ambiguous about issues like lunch, or working of the clock.

Coldworld

Looks like 20 states require employees to take a minimum 30 minute meal…so how does that fit in with supplemental language… would bet the vette and Piper cub that many drivers within these 20 states skip lunch and put down 1 minute..

Coldworld

The division has only gotten worse. I think the company promotes it, by remaining ambiguous about issues like lunch, or working of the clock.
Diad needs to shut down and there needs to be national language that states a meal and (or) breaks can’t be taken while the wheels of the truck are moving… I knew multiple drivers who would take their lunch while driving out to area first thing… it’s such BS. There’s ways to stop this and personally if I was the company I think that kind of behavior opens them up for issues since they don’t necessarily agree with it but they let it happen.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Looks like 20 states require employees to take a minimum 30 minute meal…so how does that fit in with supplemental language… would bet the vette and Piper cub that many drivers within these 20 states skip lunch and put down 1 minute..
Still, it is illegal to work off the clock. Falsified time adds to the mess.

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

After all these years the practice is that its our option. Mgmt wouldn’t really care.

Coldworld

Still, it is illegal to work off the clock. Falsified time adds to the mess.
There will always be drivers who will try to find a loophole in everything… calling out customers…putting in extra over 70’s…speeding…closing out pu’s while still at the Bldg…etc, etc….it never ends.

Overpaid Union Thug

This route is EASY to fix: Take Lunch EVERY DAY from 1200-1300. Send message to the center by 1500 that you will have missed pieces and missed commercial stops if you dont get help. If you dont get help record all undelivered packages as missed.
You will get called in the office the next day,threatened,told you are a POS of driver yada yada.Tell them sitting in the officeis eating precious time
Take lunch again 1200-1300. Message you will have missed. Your board will almost catch fire from all of the threating messages you will get .Reply that answering all of these messages is taking time and even more stops will be missed. Turn your phone off or your supe and center manager will call you with threats. If you cant get it all off then have missed again.
When you get called in the office the next morning the threats will ramp up, you may even get a Warning letter for some made up transgression, heck they may even "instruct" you not to take lunch between 12 and 1. Its all good, you know you have them when they do this. Rest assured management CANNOT tell you when to take lunch.
Rinse and Repeat and they WILL take work off of the route.
Unfortunately, most drivers are too gutless, or too short sighted, to even attempt this.

AKCoverMan

Unfortunately, most drivers are too gutless, or too short sighted, to even attempt this.
Sorry, I’m far from gutless, and don’t appreciate the insult. I filed 195 grievances in our tiny (15 bid routes) building last year I am not exactly cowering to management.

if anyone can tell me why I should give away five unpaid hours a week to UPS I’m happy to listen. As I have said I am all in favor of right to lunch and it’s use as a tool to get business heavy dispatch fixed. But it does nothing as a tool to fix my dispatch..my tool for that is 9.5. Taking lunch (again…for my route) only turns 9.5 into 10.5. without a penny more on the paycheck.

I’m sure there are many routes with too many businesses and too many pickups and there are drivers who would like to take a lunch but don’t because they don’t want the hassle when there are service failures. I say, take your lunch, it’s your time.

But my taking an unpaid lunch will not only not change my dispatch it will not help anyone else.