No more HR?

UPSER1987

About two months ago, overheard my Supervisor saying the company was eliminating alot -- but not all -- human resources positions.

I remember talking with the human resources person that does the hiring for my building, and he said that he is on the road 4 out of 5 days per week.

He travels to all the UPS facilities in like 5 counties & does all the orientation stuff, helps applicants fill out their tax forms, etc. and makes sure they have everything properly completed & turned in.
And, I guess, on the one day a week that he is in his actual office, I would imagine he has a boatload of emails, voicemails, letters, applications, etc. to answer.

So, as usual, UPS doesn't hire enough people -- in this case, human resources employees -- to cover a large geographical area & dumps it all on one person.

That's why it's so difficult to get an answer when an employee or applicant calls the HR office or person.
There are huge expenses incurred in doing work the “old fashioned way”...most of what you just described can be done electronically and the rest pushed to the operations team like always.

upschuck

From what I've been told, HR's only responsibility will be problem resolution. Get on website for problem, make a ticket for HR rep to contact you, that's it. No more hiring, no walk-in presence.

opie

From what I've been told, HR's only responsibility will be problem resolution. Get on website for problem, make a ticket for HR rep to contact you, that's it. No more hiring, no walk-in presence.
What about inside hiring? Who would be responsible for posting bid sheets inside the building and going through the transfer lists? And even putting your name on the lists usually goes through your local HR person.

upschuck

What about inside hiring? Who would be responsible for posting bid sheets inside the building and going through the transfer lists? And even putting your name on the lists usually goes through your local HR person.
I think the hiring operation put the bid sheets up, and they used to send those up the ladder to somewhere in district to award them(changed after several mistakes where made, several yeas ago), don't know if this is how it works today, or not.

trickpony1

The HR rep in one of our extended centers goes to bars to recruit PTers,
The town has a military base so I guess the selection process might be easier.

Ghost in the Darkness

I've said this before, if you aren't moving packages at ups, are you actually doing anything?

Remember this when you are being harassed for overallowed... think of all the dead weight you have to work harder for during your day so their salaries and wages can be paid and the company can mantain current or better profit levels. The company can only squeeze the actual workers so far and get returns (water out of a rock)... eventually they have to explore other means of controlling cost. Management already screws its own, why not canabalize them too.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
About two months ago, overheard my Supervisor saying the company was eliminating alot -- but not all -- human resources positions.

I remember talking with the human resources person that does the hiring for my building, and he said that he is on the road 4 out of 5 days per week.

He travels to all the UPS facilities in like 5 counties & does all the orientation stuff, helps applicants fill out their tax forms, etc. and makes sure they have everything properly completed & turned in.
And, I guess, on the one day a week that he is in his actual office, I would imagine he has a boatload of emails, voicemails, letters, applications, etc. to answer.

So, as usual, UPS doesn't hire enough people -- in this case, human resources employees -- to cover a large geographical area & dumps it all on one person.

That's why it's so difficult to get an answer when an employee or applicant calls the HR office or person.
5 counties? Hell I know single centers that cover 10