No Raise this Year?

Purplepackage

Don't forget to factor in how they are scheduled. Some stations schedule each driver where he is most proficient. Others give the swings a little bit of say in how they are scheduled. I've seen all hell break loose every now and then over the scheduling of swings.

If we dont like how we are scheduled we will generally just switch amongst ourselves and let our manager know.

We have a new ops manager for less than a year so basically the swings manage most of who does what route. I always liked when they would try to schedule me for splits and i would just milk the first route so bad id only take an hour break. Got away with that every time

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There are plenty of people in real estate who don't need second jobs. They're known as "competent."

Masters degree in a business discipline, real estate brainiac, pilot license, etc. All those options and you stay with FedEx because [insert reason here; it it's not good, don't worry, it'll be a different one next week].

None of this makes any sense. A guy who has your qualifications (for real) wouldn't stay at a job he hates. His coworkers would absolutely hate him because they would leave in a heartbeat if they had those credentials and they don't want to hear him complain when he has the ability to do something about it. And most guys who are that overqualified for a job tend to stay quiet about it because they don't want to be peppered with the inevitable question of, "WTF are you doing HERE??!?!??!?" It's a sore spot for them because they aren't pursuing what they want and don't want to be reminded of it each time someone asks that question.

You're either the typical message board tough guy who talks out of his butt or you have some of the credentials that you speak of but are such a horribly self-obsessed egomaniac that you have no idea how a rational person would act... which would explain why you're so defensive.

Great personal attack....you worked hard on it. If you knew anything about real estate you would also know it's ultra competitive, especially in the area I live. You're up against commission cutters, Redfin, and self sellers, and the no conscience agents who will lie like a rug to get a listing.

I'm off by 1030 and free to show clients homes in the afternoons and early evenings, which is when they're available. Full-time agents have a lot of slack time unless they're a megastar, so PT works for me.

I fly for fun, as in private pilot, which doesn't qualify me for anything else.

Education? I never wanted to be office bound and don't care for office politics and games. I also don't care for the ethics of most organizations, particularly FedEx, so I've built my own successful combination of real estate and PT RTD.

Once I hit Bob Brinker's magic number, I am out. One more decent income property and my wife can quit her job.

Sorry you're in the world's worst loser job.

dex 84

We've begged managers to schedule swings based on rotating seniority if they want some stability at the position. Scheduling them based on need or fit has ended up with the same people covering the same routes all the time and none of them learning a greater number of routes.

Strict seniority has presented the problem of those on the bottom getting all kinds of crap work and quitting. Another issue is the 1 swing gets his, and the 2 gets screwed because 3, 4, and 5 aren't proficient enough on the routes they'd fall into. They get assigned to whatever they fit best and 2 gets what is left. Then 2 gets tired of it and leaves, making the situation worse. Plus, the 1 swing tends to be or become a diva.

Rotating seniority (12345 one week, 23451 the next, 34512 the next, etc.) has worked wonders. Everyone gets a turn. I wish the company would insist on using this method unless there are serious circumstances which prevent it.

Yep. GPS should be a supplement to a map, not a replacement.

Best thing you can do as a swing to prevent being abused is to never be afraid to fail, but also not hesitate to absolutely kill a route when the opportunity prevents itself. Don't take your own performance personally, just use it as a tool to train the scheduling manager how to schedule you.

dex 84

Just realized I probably fit the description of what would call a diva swing...

Oh well, we all gotta find our own way to make fedex work for us...

vantexan

Ahem...

I'm in the shape I'm in because I work for FedEx, enough said. I made $125k in 1994 in a coffee bull market after building $4300 of my own money into $11k in 17 small trades. I've taken chances you can't imagine. And I've lost big too, so much so that a trading partner sued me because he got it into his head winning is automatic. I didn't have the money to fight him in court and he got a default judgement for $128k because I didn't show up. Had my paycheck garnished and with my meager FedEx pay was bringing home less than $350 many weeks.

I look at all the stupid in that paragraph and wonder how you could EVER call anyone else a joke.
I look at you retaining said post for just such a moment and realize how desperate you are to run down anyone who disagrees with you. The difference between you and me is you are too arrogant to ever admit a mistake. I on the other hand have been pissed on so much by bad mgrs in this wonderful company of yours that I have no qualms about admitting when I've screwed up because it's all about one thing, getting away from this company and getting on with life on my own terms. Now if you want to talk knowledge, such as fundamental and technical analysis of futures trading, I can hold my own against the likes of you. What gets guys like you burned trading futures is your arrogance. You don't know that even the best traders lose money on occasion. But I digress. As I've already pointed out you will still be up to your neck in chickenschitt while I'll be doing my own thing. Good luck with that!

BootsOnTarmac

+1 for Bob Brinker. You can't go wrong. His advice and personal / work philosophy are exceptional. Remember when he bowed out for a while?
Good for you MrFedEx.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Great personal attack....you worked hard on it. If you knew anything about real estate you would also know it's ultra competitive, especially in the area I live. You're up against commission cutters, Redfin, and self sellers, and the no conscience agents who will lie like a rug to get a listing.

I'm off by 1030 and free to show clients homes in the afternoons and early evenings, which is when they're available. Full-time agents have a lot of slack time unless they're a megastar, so PT works for me.

I fly for fun, as in private pilot, which doesn't qualify me for anything else.

Education? I never wanted to be office bound and don't care for office politics and games. I also don't care for the ethics of most organizations, particularly FedEx, so I've built my own successful combination of real estate and PT RTD.

Once I hit Bob Brinker's magic number, I am out. One more decent income property and my wife can quit her job.

Sorry you're in the world's worst loser job.

Excuses, excuses... again.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
INow if you want to talk knowledge, such as fundamental and technical analysis of futures trading, I can hold my own against the likes of you.

It's just the application of knowledge that you struggle with, right?

What gets guys like you burned trading futures is your arrogance. You don't know that even the best traders lose money on occasion.

Guys like me are well aware that any kind of futures trading involves risk. Guys like me would never, EVER strike up a trading partnership without a written agreement that takes great pains to spell out the expectations, responsibilities, and liabilities (and limitations thereof) of each party. Guys like me would show up in court if sued, because I'm not so arrogant that I have no respect for the civil justice system.

If a person is capable of understanding futures trading to the degree that you claim you are, it means his mind is a couple of steps ahead of the average bear. He doesn't deliver packages for a living. There's a vast difference between knowing what you're doing and being a chump who hits a lucky streak.

vantexan

It's just the application of knowledge that you struggle with, right?

Guys like me are well aware that any kind of futures trading involves risk. Guys like me would never, EVER strike up a trading partnership without a written agreement that takes great pains to spell out the expectations, responsibilities, and liabilities (and limitations thereof) of each party. Guys like me would show up in court if sued, because I'm not so arrogant that I have no respect for the civil justice system.

If a person is capable of understanding futures trading to the degree that you claim you are, it means his mind is a couple of steps ahead of the average bear. He doesn't deliver packages for a living. There's a vast difference between knowing what you're doing and being a chump who hits a lucky streak.
If you knew what you were talking about you'd be scary. I chalk it up to a bump on a learning curve. You see you can have knowledge about futures, but trading is a whole other animal. It takes guts to put your money where your mouth is. As for a lucky streak, I knew exactly what I was doing on those small trades. Getting into very fast moving markets without very deep pockets is where the huge risk lies and is where I learned I was out of my league. But I had to learn it by taking a risk. And I knew how to mitigate the risk so that I got out with losing 10's of thousands beyond my initial investment. There are people who end up owing because they aren't familiar with trading mechanisms. But you do illustrate my earlier point that you believe you are superior to any courier, that we are where we are because we don't have the faculties necessary to achieve. At the end of the day though I'll get the freedom I want while you'll still keep humping to maintain your lifestyle. And constantly worry about maintaining it in retirement because you won't take the necessary risk. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can you?

vantexan

If you knew what you were talking about you'd be scary. I chalk it up to a bump on a learning curve. You see you can have knowledge about futures, but trading is a whole other animal. It takes guts to put your money where your mouth is. As for a lucky streak, I knew exactly what I was doing on those small trades. Getting into very fast moving markets without very deep pockets is where the huge risk lies and is where I learned I was out of my league. But I had to learn it by taking a risk. And I knew how to mitigate the risk so that I got out with losing 10's of thousands beyond my initial investment. There are people who end up owing because they aren't familiar with trading mechanisms. But you do illustrate my earlier point that you believe you are superior to any courier, that we are where we are because we don't have the faculties necessary to achieve. At the end of the day though I'll get the freedom I want while you'll still keep humping to maintain your lifestyle. And constantly worry about maintaining it in retirement because you won't take the necessary risk. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Can you?
Actually "without" losing tens of thousands.