Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldngray

nowhere special
Taking pictures of a scene with a a large number of stops of light or large dynamic range (very bright and very dark areas)
requires to choose between the two exposures (light versus dark)
Cameras only have the ability to capture 6 - 8 stops of light (your picture was about 12 stops is my guess)
Choosing the darker area is usually preferable as people prefer to see detail in the shadows
There is an HDR (High Dynamic Range) app for the iPhone that compresses the range down to 6 or 7 stops of light which is what a screen or printer can display.

Does the iPhone camera use a spot meter?

Johney

Pineapple King
Taking pictures of a scene with a a large number of stops of light or large dynamic range (very bright and very dark areas)
Cameras only have the ability to capture 6 - 8 stops of light (your picture was about 12 stops is my guess)
Choosing the darker area is usually preferable as people prefer to see detail in the shadows
There is an HDR (High Dynamic Range) app for the iPhone that compresses the range down to 6 or 7 stops of light which is what a screen or printer can display.
Let someone who knows about photography answer her question.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I always wondered what the HDR was for. My iPhone expert (my daughter) didn't know. Lol.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does the iPhone camera use a spot meter?
It uses a center-range focus/exposure but there are apps that will allow you to do spot and also exposure lock
The exposure and focus are locked together so the desired focus and exposure if different areas can be tricky at times
Most pro cameras separate the focus and exposure functions
My last "pro" camera the Nikon D-800 locks the two together ... I get pissed at times since I often want focus on a spot that I do not want to expose for.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special

He needs to be careful. The holidays are coming.

morning_picdump_853_640_30.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.