Status
Not open for further replies.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Fat fingers. I need to start my diet soon. Sorry. I fixed it
02812043784f24fa885aaf3a9ffd5be8.jpg

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
This is my other option for the party. A shrimp boil. Can cook a lot of food very easily that way.

I always enjoy having fish frys but it sucks it takes so much fish. Everything is gone by the time I get done with the cooking usually. But it's just a good time to have buddies over and drink a few brewskis and they at least get to eat fish

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Guess I've always been gunshy of the word "smoke"

Ron, Joe and I cook in our Akorns over charcoal.

The only difference is, we can control the temps and add wood chips or chunks to the charcoal for flavor.

Your Traeger should offer the same flexibility.

Stick to fruitwoods at first, until you decide how much smoke flavor you want. I'm not a fan of hickory or mesquite, because I tend to taste them for a few days after. Pecan, apple and cherry are my go-to's.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

The only difference is, we can control the temps and add wood chips or chunks to the charcoal for flavor.

Stick to fruitwoods at first, until you decide how much smoke flavor you want. I'm not a fan of hickory or mesquite, because I tend to taste them for a few days after. Pecan, apple and cherry are my go-to's.
Absolutely 100% correct. I use apple ,pecan,and cherry wood only. The times I used hickory or mesquite my kids and wife wouldn't even eat it and ended up throwing it away. Told u this guy knows his stuff!!!!!

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!

I don't mind a mesquite flavor in deer jerky. But i don't think I would really like it in say brisket or something.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Absolutely 100% correct. I use apple ,pecan,and cherry wood only. The times I used hickory or mesquite my kids and wife wouldn't even eat it and ended up throwing it away. Told u this guy knows his stuff!!!!!

I forget which, but either apple or cherry gives chicken skin a deep, mahogany color when you do a whole chicken. It's been a while.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't mind a mesquite flavor in deer jerky. But i don't think I would really like it in say brisket or something.

The strongest I would consider on a brisket is oak.

I usually use pecan for beef.

(A good way to practice beef before dropping the bucks on a brisket is a chuck roast. Good eating when done.)

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
I just need to get :censored2: together and I'll have to start my new hobby, smoking. Appreciate the good conversation tonight brothers and the great get away from stuff.

Appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.