Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thisjobaintforeverybody

396772.gif

Damn echo!

LeadBelly

Banned
I have an old bar sign that says " Indians Not Served". Back in the 70's & 80's I used to frequent a bar whos owner refused to serve them. Many times I saw this guy tell a Indian "I don't want your business--you have to leave". In his defense probably 80% of the downtown bar scene troublemakers were Indians.
I take it you lived closer to the North Dakota, Minnesota border.

LeadBelly

Banned
You have a no Irish need apply sign ?? Lmao. Sweet. Can you share a pic of that ? What year does it date back too? How did you acquire it?
I'm taking a dump right now, getting ready to leave for the airport. I'll snap a sign of it on my way out the door for you and post it. My mother in law got it for me. I believe it to be a reprint, but the original is from around the early 1910 time frame. We were garbage when we came here. Looked at as devalued labor across the board. We were the Mexicans of that time frame.

LeadBelly

Banned
I tried to quote a section from this book on ethinic America but couldn't : he talks about that and says that they were the first great ethnic "minority" in American cities. They were at the bottom of the occupational ladder, lived in slums that were far worse than today's public housing, when they moved in people moved out giving them stereotypical names such as brawler, drunkard, or incompetent and with that came the stock phrase "No Irish need to Apply" They ended up with the hardest jobs that nobody wanted thus
birthing a common phrase at the time "you never see a gray-haired Irishman because there life expectancy was 40 years old.
Thanks for sharing brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.