Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
Klein, my parents never discussed their finances with me, but there is no way their take home pay was only $4K per year.

My dad was a manger and basically a rich man - he made $6.25/hr.
MY older brother worked for the same outfit as a teenager, earning 75 cents/hr.
A loaf of bread was 10 cents, chocolate bar 5 cents, the average house price was $15.000.

My dad had 2 houses.. he paid $14 K for 1, the other $17K.

Oh, never mind about the currency exchange... we were always close together, until Clinton became president, and we had an idiot.
Then once Bush came in, and we changed PM`s, we went straight back over the US dollar, again.

CBC News Interactive: History of the Dollar

Last edited:
Klein, my parents never discussed their finances with me, but there is no way their take home pay was only $4K per year.

In the mid 60s my Dad brought home around $200 per week and we were far from being rich. He worked a lot of hard hours to get that though.

In '63 I earned $.50 per hour plus a free meal for each shift worked at a part time job. In '67 my first full time job paid $1.25 per hour. 1975 I was knockin' down big bucks $ 5.00 per hour, limited to 40 hours per week, no OT.

klein

I don't know what my dad earned by the week, but he worked 7 days a week all year round. We never went on a vacation - ever !
But he was always well dressed in suit and tie. The odd time we went fishing or hunting on a Sunday.
But even most Sundays he was tied up at work and I used to go with him as a child.

I think I do remember $1.75/hr being the average wage way back then, while my dad was earning a whopping $6.25.

Had to look it up : 1960 : average wage $4007 !

National Average Wage Index

Last edited:

klein

Guinness World Records gives nod to CN Tower's EdgeWalk as highest external walk

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 18 hours ago

TORONTO - The CN Tower now holds a Guinness World Record for its EdgeWalk attraction — the highest external walk on a building.
A certificate of the record was presented to officials Tuesday on the EdgeWalk itself, 356 metres above downtown Toronto.

The attraction allows people to walk hands free along a 1.5-metre-wide ledge that surrounds the top of the tower's main pod.
Walkers who venture out in groups of six are secured with a harness during their 150-metre stroll.
The walk opened to the public on Aug. 1 and officials say it has attracted thrill-seekers from age 13 to 90.
EdgeWalk will soon close for the year but reopens May 1.

over9five

Staff member
edgewalk_static_banner_with_logo.jpg

Thought it deserved a picture.

klein

Canadian housing prices more than doubled since 2000, Re/Max says

Regina leads nationally with respect to the rise in average home prices by 173 per cent in the last 10 years.
Other cities include: Edmonton with 165 per cent, Saskatoon with 163 per cent, Winnipeg with 158 per cent, Kelowna with 156 per cent, St. John's with 149 per cent, Greater Vancouver 128 per cent and Calgary with 126 per cent.

The average price for all types of housing in the Greater Victoria region climbed by 123 per cent to C$504,561 in 2010 from $225,731 in 2000.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Canadian housing prices more than doubled since 2000, Re/Max says

Regina leads nationally with respect to the rise in average home prices by 173 per cent in the last 10 years.
Other cities include: Edmonton with 165 per cent, Saskatoon with 163 per cent, Winnipeg with 158 per cent, Kelowna with 156 per cent, St. John's with 149 per cent, Greater Vancouver 128 per cent and Calgary with 126 per cent.

The average price for all types of housing in the Greater Victoria region climbed by 123 per cent to C$504,561 in 2010 from $225,731 in 2000.
Saskatoon increased because Shannon Tweed Simmons was from there.

klein

Have you ever tried Saskatoon berries ? They grow wild here in the prairies, even in this city.
My mom has a few of those bushes at the lake.
They are a smaller version of blue-berries. But nothing beats a Saskatoon-berry pie !

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The agony of the feet continues in Canada.
British Columbia has been riddled by eight human feet washing ashore in the province and another appendage was found on the shore of Sasamat Lake near Port Moody on Friday, The Vancouver Sun reports.
This is at least the ninth foot discovered in British Columbia since 2007, according to The National Post. By other counts, there have been a dozen feet found.
The case of the mysterious feet has vexed authorities and the public, with details of the latest find differing from its predecessors in two ways, the CBC says.
The ninth foot, found last Friday by a child at a camp, was in a body of fresh water. All the earlier feet, believed to come from six different people, were in saltwater. Unlike the first eight feet, which were inside running shoes, the newest foot was in a hiking boot, media outlets said.
Like the earlier incidents, investigators don't suspect foul play in the latest discovery, The Globe and Mail reports. Medical examiners believe the feet separate from dead bodies due to natural causes.

klein

canada-brand-cp-lg.jpg

Canada's 'brand' is best in the world: survey

This nation scores top points when travellers are asked how they perceive 110 countries. Where U.S. ranks

moreluck

golden ticket member
How do you PERCEIVE Canada??? That doesn't mean that anyone surveyed had actually been to Canada. It's a hollow victory at best.

klein

World Juniors are next month ! Held in both Edmonton & Calgary. Poor Americans will have to play with only their own citizens. :(