Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
Yep,
Thanks for making my point.
The increase of those prices is directly due to the increase of the price of gold and silver content of the "coin".
Face value?
Stamping $10 on a piece of $34 silver and selling it for $65 is not a value
to the idiot that buys it.
Maybe this link will help you learn the difference between buying bullion and a Numismatic.

Krugerrand, American Gold Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, and the Australian Gold Nugget: An Introduction | Gemologist Sam

Here, you could have boughten this $1 Million face value Gold coin for $2 Million Canadian in 2007 (then about $1.5 Mill US).
It now sells for over $4 Million US !
Bad investment ? I don't think so.

The coin is the size of a "very thick pizza" — 50 centimetres wide and three centimetres thick — and is .99999 pure.
Weighs 100 kg (220 lbs).

And actually some Gold Maple Leaf coins sell at the Bouillion price (meaning you get the finest 99999 minted Gold coin, (best in the world), as the same price of a chunk of pure gold (no mark-up).

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have some OLD tokens from my elementary school cafeteria.....I've had then for nearly 60 years.........they all have the word "lunch" stamped on them. They have to be worth more than 25 cents by now!!

I'd sell them for $1.5 mil. Interested?

klein

Edmonton and most of Alberta, including the city of Calgary, are heading towards a labour shortage.

Anyone want to move here ?

City of Edmonton

Can your company stay ahead of the curve and avoid potential labour shortages? Registration ends March 14.

The New Reality: Employment Symopsium

texan

Air Canada back-to-work bill prepped.

OTTAWA, March 9 (UPI) -- Canadian officials prepared legislation Friday to prevent disruption of Air Canada service
after labor threatened to strike and management threatened a lockout.
The (Toronto) Globe and Mail reported Labor Minister Lisa Raitt took the step as a precautionary measure, after referring
two Air Canada labor disputes to the Canada Industrial Relations Board Thursday. Raitt asked the board to investigate
what effect a work stoppage would have on Canadians based on "health and safety concerns."

Read more: Air Canada back-to-work bill prepped - UPI.com

moreluck

golden ticket member
So it's going to keep them always working?
I wouldn't want to fly on any plane being serviced by a disgruntled mechanic or flown by an angry pilot.

satellitedriver

Air Canada back-to-work bill prepped.
I prefer Ronald Reagan's approach.

On August 3, 1981 nearly 13,000 of the 17,500 members of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO) walked off the job, hoping to disrupt the nation's transportation system to the extent that the federal government would accede to its demands for higher wages, a shorter work week, and better retirement benefits. At a press conference in the White House Rose Garden that same day, President Reagan responded with a stern ultimatum: The strikers were to return to work within 48 hours or face termination. As federal employees the controllers were violating the no-strike clause of their employment contracts.

rod

Retired 23 years
I prefer Ronald Reagan's approach.

On August 3, 1981 nearly 13,000 of the 17,500 members of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO) walked off the job, hoping to disrupt the nation's transportation system to the extent that the federal government would accede to its demands for higher wages, a shorter work week, and better retirement benefits. At a press conference in the White House Rose Garden that same day, President Reagan responded with a stern ultimatum: The strikers were to return to work within 48 hours or face termination. As federal employees the controllers were violating the no-strike clause of their employment contracts.

The beginning of the end

texan

MPs vote to give Elections Canada more power.

A motion calling on the government to boost Elections Canada's investigative power has passed in a unanimous vote
by members of Parliament tonight.
Now it is up to the government to introduce legislation to implement the measures contained in the motion.
The move comes as the 2011 election is at the centre of controversy on Parliament Hill because of the Elections
Canada investigation into fraudulent calls that were made to voters in Guelph, Ont., and the numerous reports
of misleading automated messages known as robocalls, and live calls, that were received by voters in ridings
across the country.

MPs vote to give Elections Canada more power - Politics - CBC News

klein

friendormer U.S. vp Dick Cheney deems Canada too dangerous for speaking visit

TORONTO - Former U.S. vice-president Dick Cheney has cancelled a Canadian speaking appearance due to security concerns sparked by demonstrations during a visit he made to Vancouver last fall, the event promoter said Monday.
Cheney, whom the protesters denounced as a war criminal, was slated to talk about his experiences in office and the current American political situation at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on April 24.

However, Ryan Ruppert, of Spectre Live Corp., said Cheney and his daughter Elizabeth had begged off via their agent.
"After speaking with their security advisers, they changed their mind on coming to the event," Ruppert said.
"(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada."

klein

Drug shortage ?

Canadian drug maker seeks US$520 million in damages from U.S. government

TORONTO - Canada's largest drug company, Apotex Inc., is seeking at least US$520 million in damages from the U.S. government for alleged violations of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
The company says in its claim that its U.S. subsidiary was devastated after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued alerts in 2009 that blocked imports of products made at two Apotex plants in Toronto.
The United States accounts for 60 per cent of foreign sales for Apotex, which sells 40 per cent of its products in Canada.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Drug shortage ?

Canadian drug maker seeks US$520 million in damages from U.S. government

TORONTO - Canada's largest drug company, Apotex Inc., is seeking at least US$520 million in damages from the U.S. government for alleged violations of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
The company says in its claim that its U.S. subsidiary was devastated after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued alerts in 2009 that blocked imports of products made at two Apotex plants in Toronto.
The United States accounts for 60 per cent of foreign sales for Apotex, which sells 40 per cent of its products in Canada.

I question....what were they doing wrong or what vital step did they eliminate that the FDA made alerts against them??
FDA requires certain standards be met for our protection.....maybe Canada's standards are not as stringent. If you don't meet the standards, you can't trade with U.S.

klein

Doctors want a new tax on Canadians earning more than $100,000

TORONTO - A group of doctors is calling on federal and provincial governments to raise income taxes levied on high-income Canadians.
They are launching a campaign to get support for the idea, using the slogan "Tax us. Canada's worth it."

"Our group considers higher taxes a small price to pay for a more civilized Canada," says Rachlis, a public health physician and associate professor at the University of Toronto.
"We're becoming a more economically unequal society and we feel this is bad for our country's health."

Though the campaign has been started by doctors, anyone earning over $100,000 who supports the proposal can sign the petition.

"Governments don't have the resources they need to address some of the causes of ill-health and some of the social programs that people want and need. And I think that people like me who are paid reasonably well can afford to contribute a little bit more to ensure that we have a fair society," Dalla says.

klein

Yup, we got stupid people too !

Jasmin Klair of B.C. caught smuggling cocaine in car bearing ‘SMUGLER’ plates