On this Day

texan

I was not demeaning anyone. Dave has an uncanny memory.

Of course how many how to get a job at UPS repeat Threads are there?

texan

On this day, May 6th 2012, received wise council from a senior member.

No more will others affect me. I love all of you and wish no harm to any, but I will post no matter what
others may say. I have never attacked others, and hope I will never will. But if you do not like if I make
a repeat post, or say something you do not like, like a deep hole with water, oh well.

Bless you.

Last edited:

texan

On this day, 7 May 1966, The Mamas & The Papas made the climb to the top of the Billboard pop music chart
with Monday, Monday.

For three weeks Monday, Monday stayed at the top of the pop music world. The tune was the second hit
by the group -- just two months after their first, California Dreamin’. These two songs would be the only
number one hits for the group, though they made it to number two with Dedicated to the One I Love.

texan

On this day, 7 May 1977, Seattle Slew won the Kentucky Derby. It was the first win on the way
to his Triple Crown victory.
Seattle Slew was the tenth Triple Crown winner -- and the first unbeaten Triple Crown winner.

texan

On this day, 8 May 1886, Dr. John S. Pemberton first sold his secret elixir originally used for medicinal purposes.

So Dr. Pemberton went to the right place to sell his new product: Jacob’s Pharmacy in Atlanta, GA.

Three years later, Dr. Pemberton figured that his secret formula had been enough of a success for him to sell out.

He did just that, for $2,300. Even in 1889 dollars, $2,300 was a mere drop in the bucket for what the still
very classified, secret formula would be worth.

That formula is now used in a product that sells about 350 million cans and bottles a day in nearly 200 countries.
That’s enough secret elixir for every man, woman and child on earth to consume -- 25 times a year.
Dr. Pemberton’s medicine was sold to make people feel better.

It’s “the pause that refreshes.” It’s “the real thing.” It’s Coca-Cola.

Have a Coke in honor of Dr. Pemberton, today.

texan

On this day, 9 May 1868, Happy Birthday to Reno, Nevada. It was on this day in 1886 that a little town in
Northwestern Nevada was officially named, Reno (after General Jesse Lee Reno, a Union officer of the Civil War).

Actually, the town that was just over the border from California, already existed before this date. It was first settled
by the Washoe Indians who used the area for festivals and ceremonies. Then, as settlers moved in, it was known as
Fuller’s Ferry, and later, as Lake’s Crossing.
In the mid 1800s, Reno was just another settlement of silver miners. When the Comstock Lode was discovered in
the Virginia City area, intrigued fortune hunters throughout the world came to the area to strike it rich.

texan

On this day, 9 May 1961, Jim Gentile of the Baltimore Orioles set a major-league baseball record by
hitting grand slam home runs in two consecutive innings.

The Orioles were playing the Minnesota Twins.

texan

On this day, 9 May 1964, Hello Dolly! became the top pop record in the U.S. The milestone put Louis Armstrong
on the Billboard music chart in the top spot for the first time in his 41-year music career.
Later, ‘Satchmo’ was cast in the movie version of Hello Dolly!.

texan

On this day, 10 May 1969, The National and American Football Leagues announced plans to merge for the 1970-71 season.
Two conferences of 13 teams each were formed ... and the rest is NFL history.

texan

On this day, 11 May 1928 WGY-TV in Schenectady, NY began the first schedule of regular
TV programs. A very short schedule, in fact. WGY offered programming to the upstate New York audience three times
a week using the mechanical scanning method.

And mechanical scanning was not to be the wave of the future. It was electrical scanning, developed by
Philo Farnsworth, that would make television available to the masses.

texan

On this day, 13 May 1950, Stevland Morris was born prematurely on this day in 1950. Too much oxygen in the incubator
caused the baby to become permanently blind.

However, this did not prove to be any kind of handicap to Stevland’s musical talents as a singer, songwriter
and multiinstrumentalist.

At the tender age of ten, Little Stevie Wonder, as he was called by Berry Gordy at Motown, was discovered singing
and playing the harmonica.

The child prodigy got a little bigger and in his teen years recorded
Fingertips (his first hit) and My Cherie Amour; co-wrote I was Made to Love Her, For Once in My Life and Tears
of a Clown
. If You Really Love Me was a #1 hit and Stevie was just 20 years old.

texan

On this day, 14 May 1607, Three very small ships, Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery, sailed across the ocean blue
from Plymouth, England to a place the ship’s crew and passengers called Jamestown on this day in 1607.

It was the first permanent English settlement in what is now the United States, following several earlier
failed attempts, including the Lost Colony of Roanoke.

It would serve as capital of the colony for 83 years (from 1616 until 1699).

texan

On this day, 15 May 1941, Joe DiMaggio began his historic major-league hitting streak (56 games).

The New York Yankees got Joltin’ Joe off to a rather bad start, however, as they lost to the
Chicago White Sox 13-1 at Yankee Stadium.

texan

On this day, 16 May 1985, Michael ‘Air’ Jordan was named Rookie of the Year in the National Basketball Association.
Jordan of the Chicago Bulls was the number three draft choice. At the time, he was third in the league scoring with
a 28.2 average and fourth in steals with 2.39 per game.

And the rest is history.........

texan

On this day, 19 May 1980, the 9,677-foot Mt. St. Helens, quiet for 93 years, became extremely angry
and blew its top.

The volcanic blast was five hundred times more powerful than the atomic bomb that leveled Hiroshima.

Steam and ash erupted more than eleven miles into the atmosphere and darkened skies in a
160-mile radius. Forest fires erupted around the volcano and burned out of control.

The eruption, and those that followed, left some sixty dead and caused damage amounting
to nearly three billion dollars.