On this Day

DS

Fenderbender
We had a weird day.Ooks went downstairs like usual .
When I got out of the shower,she yelled up.I think Caseys house is on fire.
We live in a townhouse...4 houses attached.Casey's house is #5 we are #3.
Smoke in our kitchen and basement.Ran over and rang the doorbell like crazy,and banged on the door.
Got their attention and called 911.
Moved cars out of the garage .
By this time 3 fire trucks and 6 cops were at the scene.
I called my sup and told him that I may not be in because my neighbors house was on fire.
He said....we need you in today...I just chuckled and said...I'll keep you posted.
Well the fire was apparently due to something to do with their furnace.
I got to work and stayed under 9.5 with a full break.
It's always something.

texan

On this day, May 20th 1927, ‘Lucky’ Lindbergh took off from Roosevelt Field in New York aboard the small airplane
Spirit of St. Louis, en route to Paris, France. Thirty-three and one-half hours later, Charles A. Lindbergh arrived at
his destination -- and flew into history.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On this day, May 20th 1927, ‘Lucky’ Lindbergh took off from Roosevelt Field in New York aboard the small airplane
Spirit of St. Louis, en route to Paris, France. Thirty-three and one-half hours later, Charles A. Lindbergh arrived at
his destination -- and flew into history.

...unfortunately his luggage was missorted and arrived 3 days later...

texan

On this day, 21 May 1901, On this day in 1901, Connecticut becomes the first state to pass a law regulating
motor vehicles, limiting their speed to 12 mph in cities and 15 mph on country roads.

texan

On this day, 22 May 1967, What was to become the Public Broadcasting System’s longest-running children’s
program, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, debuted on this day.

texan

On this day, 22 May 1992, Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show for the last time.

It was the end of three decades of late nights spent with Carson and his sidekick, Ed McMahon
and bandleader, Doc Severinsen.

Comedian Jay Leno replaced Carson.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm a few days late, but on the same day Joplin was hit by a horrific tornedo, so was Slave Lake. Alberta wiped out by a massive forest fire, which was Canada's 2nd most costly natural disaster in history :

Pics from 1 year ago, and now 1 year later :

20110516-154756-g.jpg

li-mackay-slavelake.jpg

It even brought the newly wed royal couple to the community :

kate-middleton-prince-william-slave-lake__oPt.jpg
william-kate-slave-lake.jpg

texan

On this day, 24 May 1986, Montreal skated past Calgary 4-3 to capture its 23rd National Hockey League Stanley Cup
championship.

No other major North American pro sports franchise had earned as many titles.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
On this day, 24 May 1986, Montreal skated past Calgary 4-3 to capture its 23rd National Hockey League Stanley Cup
championship.

No other major North American pro sports franchise had earned as many titles.

While true in 1986, those damn Yankees have more than anyone else now.

texan

I am one of maybe 3 Red Sox fans in a building full of Yankees fans. They love to remind how many championships they have bought, I mean, won.

I live about an hour away from Montreal and have seen them play several times.

Well I am one of two Philly fans. Me and Stewie.

Hoax might be a Braves fan.

Makes the world go around.

I do not appreciate the Yankees either.

Been watching the Nationals do well this year also.

Phillys are in the basement this year.

Oh well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to watch the Nationals when they were the Expos. They would have bargain nights ($5 admission, $1 hot dogs) to get people to come to the games. Olympic Stadium was not designed for baseball--it is a cold, concrete multi-use facility--but some of the players who have played in Montreal have gone on to have Hall of Fame careers. It is nice to see the Nationals and Orioles in first place in their respective divisions.

texan

On this day, May 25th 1935, Babe Ruth, then of the Boston Braves, hit home runs 713 and 714 on
this day at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh -- home of the Pirates.

These would be the last round-trippers for the ‘Sultan of Swat’. The Bucs, however, still beat the Braves, 11-7.
Guy Bush is credited with serving up the historic home runs to Ruth.

texan

On this day, 25 May 1965, From the Look But Don’t Blink file: A very short, heavyweight title fight happened in Lewiston, ME.
Cassius Clay knocked out challenger Sonny Liston in one minute and 56 seconds of the first round.

Liston never saw the punch coming. Neither did an unbelieving crowd at ringside, nor those in theatres all
over the world watching the fight on closed-circuit TV. The phantom punch was never explained, but Liston was knocked
cold from whatever Clay threw at him.