On this Day

P

pickup

On this day, 22 June 1990 The last-place Atlanta Braves fired manager Russ Nixon and replaced him with GM Bobby Cox, who
last managed Toronto in 1985.

Good move. Cox led the Braves to a dramatic worst-to-first turnaround, the first of its kind in the National League.
In the World Series his team lost to the (also) resurgent Minnesota Twins. Cox was name AP Manager of the
Year (the first manager to be so named in both leagues). The Braves followed 1991 with NL East
championships in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, and 1997, becoming the first team to win division titles in six straight
completed seasons. Those division titles also let to NL pennants, except for 1993 and 1997.

Let me just complete the resume. In 1995, the Braves also won the World series.

P

pickup

On this day 11 years ago Rod retired. :happy2::beersmiley::hi5::wootsmiley::onesmiley1::yesssmileyf::happy_new_year::thumbsup::foamfinger::punk:

On this day in 2006 ,Rod's TRS-80 Tandy computer from radioshack finally broke down and then Rod bought a modern computer. Upon which turning it on, he discovered the existence of u-tube and the browncafe

rod

Retired 23 years
On this day in 2006 ,Rod's TRS-80 Tandy computer from radioshack finally broke down and then Rod bought a modern computer. Upon which turning it on, he discovered the existence of u-tube and the browncafe

Damn Radio Shack electronics. At least my VHS player and my 8-track are still working.

p.s.----does anyone know how I can get my VHS to stop flashing 12 o'clock?

texan

Happy 75th birthday, Spam !!!

PS.
Texan, this thread is dying without you!!
Like an alcoholic, I checked in today to the bar.
I had to walk away.... Nothing against the site or the fine people here. Especially you Moreluck. Just spent too much time here.

texan

On this day, 12 July 1937 Bill Cosby was born.
Born William Henry Cosby, Jr. on this day in 1937, he grew up in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
After a four-year stint in the U.S. Navy, Bill entered Temple University in Philadelphia where he was active in football and
track.

But it was comedy that came naturally to the young Cosby, and he was soon on the road, doing stand-up comedy at
nightclubs, concert halls and theaters. Having made a name for himself in this area, Bill Cosby auditioned for the
co-starring (with Robert Culp) role of Alexander Scott in "I Spy" in 1965, the same year he married Camille Hanks.
"I Spy" was the world’s first dramatic TV series starring an African-American, and Cosby’s first attempt at drama.

He won three Best-Actor Emmys for his effort. A sitcom, "The Bill Cosby Show" was next, featuring Cosby as
high school basketball coach, Chet Kincaid.

A doctorate in education was in the stars for the TV star. While earning the degree from the University of Massachusetts, Cosby
continued to entertain us with TV comedy and variety shows, "The New Bill Cosby Show", and "Cos".
His love for children shined in the 1972-1984 animated Saturday morning show, "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids".

Cosby’s real life role of husband and parent (four daughters, Erika, Erinn, Ensa, Evin and one son, Ennis, who was tragically
killed in 1997 at the age of 27) was played out on his hit TV show, "The Cosby Show";
#1 for three years of its eight-year run (1984-1992). It was in this show that Cosby truly endeared himself
to audiences of all ages and races.

texan

On this day, 12 July 1960, The first Etch-A-Sketch went on sale.

Over 50 million units were sold during the next 25 years. It was the favorite toy of many moms because it
was self-contained and so-o-o quiet.

moreluck

golden ticket member
On this day, 12 July 1960, The first Etch-A-Sketch went on sale.

Over 50 million units were sold during the next 25 years. It was the favorite toy of many moms because it
was self-contained and so-o-o quiet.

Originally made by Ohio Art Co. in Bryan Ohio.

texan

On this day, 13 July 1934, Babe Ruth hits home run number 700, against Detroit.

It was worth $20 to Babe Ruth to get the ball back that he propelled over the wall at Detroit
for the 700th home run of his major league career.

Ruth retrieved the ball for a souvenir from Leonard Beals, a boy who caught it outside the
park, and gave the lad $20 for it.

babe1133592652_dcfd3e349a_m.jpg

texan

On this day, 14 July 1962, Bobby Vinton’s Roses are Red became the top song in the U.S.

The song stayed at the top for four weeks and was the first of four #1 hits for Vinton.